Cross-hatching in tatttoos

Anyone have experience with tattoos with cross hatch shading done? I am planning a tattoo based on "Dance of Death" (medieval woodcuttings) which involves cross hatch style shading. Anyone have an idea if this style holds up well in tattoos, especially after a few years blending into each other.

Example (see avatar or below)

The_Abbot,_from_The_Dance_of_Death,_by_Hans_Holbein_the_Younger.jpg

8048f.jpg

I did this piece last saturday and I don't quite know what to think of it.... my opinion is that darker areas with cross hatching (where the lines actually criss cross) and closely spaced lines may not look so good over time. All it takes are a couple of good blowouts or the lines thickening over time for things to go wrong.

I will probably have to spend a little more time on this piece when it's completely healed, I'm not entirely satisfied with the contrast on this as it translates to skin

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi everyone, im sorry if this style is out of context,

Pin by junior parede on tattoos | Pinterest

can anyone tell what's it called?

or share the link to a thread in this forum to that style of tattoo?

Thank yous

I think people are calling that style “watercolor”. It’s a newer, trendy style of tattoo. There is some doubt about if it will age well and some think it’s just a passing trend. As you can see, a lot of people who are into more traditional styles (most of this forum) don’t think highly of it, so you won't find any info on that here. You can google artists like Amanda Wachob and Sasha Unisex as a starting point to find out more, but I'd encourage you to look into more established styles that are known to stand the test of time.

I think people are calling that style “watercolor”. It’s a newer, trendy style of tattoo. There is some doubt about if it will age well and some think it’s just a passing trend. As you can see, a lot of people who are into more traditional styles (most of this forum) don’t think highly of it, so you won't find any info on that here. You can google artists like Amanda Wachob and Sasha Unisex as a starting point to find out more, but I'd encourage you to look into more established styles that are known to stand the test of time.

There isn't really any doubt about how a tattoo like that will age. Anyway we've been over this kind of tattooing a thousand times on this forum before and if somebody isn't willing to look through the forum, find those threads, and put a little but of effort of their own into researching their tattoos, I don't see why we should put any effort into serious replies.

Thats generous definitions lol thanks

can you please include some of the best names in that garbage style?

thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I am looking for enduring types of tattoo, not those which are losing dimension and details and became flat or mushy after a few years.

What style you suggest (beside traditional) then?

Thank you :-)

Does anyone that likes this style look at pictures of old tattoos? Junior, I recommend that you look at photos of vintage tattoos as they are today. There's a great one on IG called @vintagetattoos. Go figure.

What you'll see is that when all the color eventually fades (it will) all that is left is the backbone and foundation of the tattoo. Meaning, all that is left is the black. Which is why whether it's 'traditional' or any type of (well designed) tattoo there is a good structure of black in it; preferably 1/3rd imo.

That photo you linked to will have eventually have a few bits of crooked black lines and look like shit. That's not a debatable topic, the proof is in the pudding and there isn't anything being done today in tattooing that changes the very nature of our skin and epidermis. Meaning that this is a fact, color fades and as long the damn skeleton of the tattoo is there it will be better looking than without it.

edit*looks like you already got some replies on that while I was typing. I'm pretty slow at that.

i was trying to fish out the key word before going through the forum threads, i have to keep my day job beside doing research, is that weird to you?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone that likes this style look at pictures of old tattoos? Junior, I recommend that you look at photos of vintage tattoos as they are today. There's a great one on IG called @vintagetattoos. Go figure.

What you'll see is that when all the color eventually fades (it will) all that is left is the backbone and foundation of the tattoo. Meaning, all that is left is the black. Which is why whether it's 'traditional' or any type of (well designed) tattoo there is a good structure of black in it; preferably 1/3rd imo.

That photo you linked to will have eventually have a few bits of crooked black lines and look like shit. That's not a debatable topic, the proof is in the pudding and there isn't anything being done today in tattooing that changes the very nature of our skin and epidermis. Meaning that this is a fact, color fades and as long the damn skeleton of the tattoo is there it will be better looking than without it.

edit*looks like you already got some replies on that while I was typing. I'm pretty slow at that.

Thank you Thank you Thank you :)

There isn't really any doubt about how a tattoo like that will age. Anyway we've been over this kind of tattooing a thousand times on this forum before and if somebody isn't willing to look through the forum, find those threads, and put a little but of effort of their own into researching their tattoos, I don't see why we should put any effort into serious replies.

sorry, I was just thinking about the stupid shit I thought was cool before I knew about what makes a good tattoo and thought I could help a bit.