Cross-hatching in tatttoos

Ok thanks, so conclusion is still Traditional?

Get whatever style you like; yes a lot of people here are focused on American and Japanese traditional tattooing but that doesn't there aren't other cool styles out there.

When people ask "what's your speciality?" "What do like to do the most?" My answer is "I like to make tattoos"

I have fun doing just about anything, and people like different styles for different reasons. Nobody can pick your style for you; I recommend visiting a shop with a lot of flash, and a variety of styles of flash, and you'll see all kinds of stuff that you might not have considered already. Don't feel pressured to get something on the spot, just go look around and don't ask too many questions unless you are serious about getting it that same day.

"...there isn't anything being done today in tattooing that changes the very nature of our skin and epidermis..."

(shit)

- - - Updated - - -

Get whatever style you like; yes a lot of people here are focused on American and Japanese traditional tattooing but that doesn't there aren't other cool styles out there.

When people ask "what's your speciality?" "What do like to do the most?" My answer is "I like to make tattoos"

I have fun doing just about anything, and people like different styles for different reasons. Nobody can pick your style for you; I recommend visiting a shop with a lot of flash, and a variety of styles of flash, and you'll see all kinds of stuff that you might not have considered already. Don't feel pressured to get something on the spot, just go look around and don't ask too many questions unless you are serious about getting it that same day.

No intention to hijack this thread but ive done that and for $500 i am looking for something that stays good

There isn't really any doubt about how a tattoo like that will age. Anyway we've been over this kind of tattooing a thousand times on this forum before and if somebody isn't willing to look through the forum, find those threads, and put a little but of effort of their own into researching their tattoos, I don't see why we should put any effort into serious replies.

You're not far from wrong and I feel compelled to help people out just like I do at work but it's basically wasting my time. I think I just need to spend less time in the internet.

- - - Updated - - -

The tattooer who did my first tattoo, Rus Laich had this picture of a tattoo that's essentially shaded with cross-hatching. I think it looks great. I imagine it'll age to a soft grey with barely-distinguishable lines over time?

I used to work with Rus; he's a rad dude and a great friend. We worked a booth at the Montreal show together a few years ago.

We don't talk about pricing here. I think you've got lots of good info from this thread and the next step is to read through the vast amount of info posted on the forum already to learn more.

(Starting to see where you're coming from, @Graeme...)

its just a way of saying that lifetime saving for something that fades is ridiculous

@junior where are you located? maybe we can recommend a few shops/artists that we like and you can check them out to see if any of them appeal to you.

Thank you, ive been around few big shops in London no artist got enough time to explain these research things

im just looking for a style that last, after knowing and seeing for my self that colors change over time.

Thank you

I used to work with Rus; he's a rad dude and a great friend. We worked a booth at the Montreal show together a few years ago.

Sweet. I liked that cross-hatched tattoo of his so much that of course I got one that looks nothing like it (though it's also an old botanical illustration). I'm sure I was annoying as hell because I was so nervous. He has a good sense of humor, though.

You're not far from wrong and I feel compelled to help people out just like I do at work but it's basically wasting my time. I think I just need to spend less time in the internet.

I know that I'd be bummed if you started spending a lot less time here, but I get it, and I feel a lot of the same frustration. There's so much good, reliable information here, and there's really some truly amazing stuff in Scott's interviews, that I feel if you can't be bothered to do a little bit of legwork yourself, why are you getting tattooed in the first place?

don't be so harsh. that looks like a good foundation for a black panther cover up piece.

Man, I think I love you.

I think people are calling that style “watercolor”. It’s a newer, trendy style of tattoo. There is some doubt about if it will age well and some think it’s just a passing trend.

I *love* some of these watercolors. But after learning more about tattoos, I'd never get one. But just looooove the look of some of them. While this isn't a watercolor, @CultExciter just posted this - check out how the red has faded. Now imagine just that color being the primary structure of a wing, for example. Now wait some years, and Poof! No more wing!

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/2654-aging-realism-what-lasts-page8.html#post94780

i was trying to fish out the key word before going through the forum threads, i have to keep my day job beside doing research, is that weird to you?

Asking for a reference is one thing, and you got an answer. Implying that we be your research bitches is another.

its just a way of saying that lifetime saving for something that fades is ridiculous

Maybe this isn't the site for you.

I *love* some of these watercolors. But after learning more about tattoos, I'd never get one. But just looooove the look of some of them. While this isn't a watercolor, @CultExciter just posted this - check out how the red has faded. Now imagine just that color being the primary structure of a wing, for example. Now wait some years, and Poof! No more wing!

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/2654-aging-realism-what-lasts-page8.html#post94780

I work with a lady that has a watercolor hummingbird on her forearm. When you are not looking at it at the right angle and light it looks to me like the papertowel I use while painting to dry my brush or wipe paint. That's not exactly a compliment, and I am fairly certain its a newish tattoo.

Asking for a reference is one thing, and you got an answer. Implying that we be your research bitches is another.

Didn't I said key word was what I was looking for BEFORE going through the forum? it helps trimming down the hours don't you know?

@SeeSea said: Asking for a reference is one thing, and you got an answer. Implying that we be your research bitches is another.

Didn't I said key word was what I was looking for BEFORE going through the forum? it helps trimming down the hours don't you know?

@graybones gave you the name/reference or "key word" as you asked. You responded and asked more questions. And you got another very learned response from @irezumi. At that point, you had the info to speed your search. Instead, you threw out your snarky comment. And then added more snarkiness with your latest response to me.

So don't get bent if people don't feel like bending over backwards to respond further to you, if that's how you treat people you'd like to learn from.

Bye.

- - - Updated - - -

@graybones gave you the name/reference or "key word" as you asked. You responded and asked more questions. And you got another very learned response from @irezumi. At that point, you had the info to speed your search. Instead, you threw out your snarky comment. And then added more snarkiness with your latest response to me.

So don't get bent if people don't feel like bending over backwards to respond further to you, if that's how you treat people you'd like to learn from.

Bye.

indeed and i thanked them

- - - Updated - - -

if you are interested in tattoos why would you want to spend less time researching tattoos?

the day job remember?

I almost like the look of some watercolor tattoos, but what I don't understand is why they are always done with random splotches. Why aren't there any watercolor tattoos that look more well designed and color within the lines, like this or this? I think that might look cool, but it seems nobody's tried it.

I almost like the look of some watercolor tattoos, but what I don't understand is why they are always done with random splotches. Why aren't there any watercolor tattoos that look more well designed and color within the lines, like this or this? I think that might look cool, but it seems nobody's tried it.

Isn't part of the problem with "watercolour tattoos", beyond the fact that they often look like crap to begin with and are only going to look worse from there, that the people who seem to want them seem to not only not really care about tattoos but they don't really care about watercolour either? Watercolour is such a beautiful medium and I love the way that you can get these beautiful translucencies and how the paint works in this kind of indeterminate manner when you're painting on wet paper. It would be super cool if people who wanted "watercolour tattoos" wanted them because they loved Turner's watercolours, or Sargent's paintings, or something like that (not that these would translate into tattoos!) but instead it's almost always really rough sketches with splotches of colour.

@Tesseracts that Batman you posted makes me think somewhat of the tattoos done by guys like Adrian Lee, Phil Holt, and Steve Moore.

Isn't part of the problem with "watercolour tattoos"... that the people who seem to want them seem to not only not really care about tattoos but they don't really care about watercolour either?

I don't know about that. Certainly can't speak for everybody who gets that type of tattoo, but my one friend who actually has an Amanda Wachob tattoo is really into ALL kinds of tattoos. She has other styles of tattoos in addition to that one. But she really loves her AW tattoo, I think it's her favorite. Is that a problem? So, it's going to fade. I guess she will deal with that when the time comes. I would just hope for the "watercolor tattoo" client's sake, that they did enough research to realize their tattoo is going to fade (more so and more quickly than other tattoos that have black outlines and shading). If people know that, and still go for it, so be it...their skin, their money. I'm sure my friend does like watercolor paintings, I wouldn't assume otherwise.

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but a girl at work asked me if I liked watercolor tattoos, and I said no and explained why. She didn't know that they would fade, and seemed to be open to discussion about tattoos which was cool. She's also a painter, so I think she's actually into watercolor paintings.

The odd thing about this discussion is that tattoo flash is done in watercolor. Flash is just meant for tattoos and skin.

Sorry for the ridiculous size - I'm linking from someone else's page.

When I said I love watercolor, it was this picture that got me hooked. So probably not truly "watercolor," but also suffering the same low-black problem. I keep coming back to this style - just love it. Maybe someday I'd do it, knowing I'd be committing to a coverup or something down the line.

703575_521872791158255_825451303_o.jpg

I think you can do soft, painterly application of color inside solid lines that looks good because I've seen tattoos like this - I don't mean tebori necessarily, but taking the texture of watercolor while adding some structural black and keeping the color within these defined areas. (The tattoo that Rus did on my arm has a light pink pigment overlaid with some darker red to imitate the watercolor illustration it came from, which in turn conveys the texture of the flower petals.) It may not last as long as solid, densely-packed color, but when it fades you'll still have the structure of a real tattoo.

I like texture.