The new tribalism?

Kev

I was considering some of the ideas laid out in other threads on the board concerning social interaction and breakdown and started thinking about the idea of tribes. Tattooing and scarification were used to identify members of tribes that practice carries on today in more regimented settings (prison, the military,secret orders), but has that idea transcended those settings?

For instance, board members seem to have a pretty strong idea of how a tattoo should look; we accept strangers who post that have tattoos that fit that criteria and 'give advice' to others that don't have those tattoos to get tattoos of a similar kind. From personal experience, I know that when I see people with the sort of tattooing I like (or deem 'quality'), I make inferences that the person is 'cool' or someone I'd talk to. Interaction on the board with strangers has proven that we share similar interests, even though we come from a variety of backgrounds and areas, to the point of meeting with out of town visitors.

Is this a way of forming new 'tribes'? This is total jr. social anthropology on my part, so I realize I could be totally wrong about how tribes work.

I believe that it is.

People have done studies about the decline of civic organizations through out the U.S. But, I believe that 'online' organizations, particularly 'forums,' have been where a lot of people who would once join a local chapter of XYZ, now find people online to share interest with.

Good side, you can get pretty esoteric in terms of interest, everything from tattoos to 'It Gets Better' Project to 'crowd-sourcing.'

Great example of this is: The Story of Sameer and Vinay | The Dragonfly Effect

Bad side, easier for people to act like they are not people online, trolling, flaming, harassing, etc. Plus, of course, hard to know who you are really talking to online.

Overall, I think you are correct.

I subscribe to this theory as long as it doesn't involve me getting tribal tattoos. But seriously I think it's a great observation. Another thing that comes to mind is who chooses to stay part of the community and who just kind of disappears. Some people express opinions that are not well received by forum members and it would seem. In most cases it involves a group of forum members sharing the similar shared opinion on the topic. The person either leaves the forum or somehow accepts that the forum stance is maybe not right but acceptable. As the user begins to interact on other topics the difference of opinion that was the first interaction doesn't seem to exist. But honestly have no idea about anthropology, and only took one sociology class in college so not really sure exactly what I am seeing or how to express it.

It is actually unfortunate though a part of the online world and face-2-face world as well that people disappear. We were just thinking/talking the other night how people sign up and never interact and/or disappear from LST wishing people would feel more inclined to stay active and participate humbly.

We all start as beginners in any process and sometimes stay in that process longer than others. Shit I've got some terrible tattoos though I love them. Some friends joke I "have more terrible tattoos than someone locked up their whole lives". That is part of learning. Some of the best teachers I've ever had were those who were patient with me as I try and grasp a foreign concept, theory, way of life, etc.. Shit I still ask Scott and others stupid tattoo questions or what I deem stupid but they stay patient with me and the fact of the matter is I want to learn as much I can not only in tattooing but life in general. The only thing I know is I know nothing and learning never ends.

Good topic by the way......

Lochlan, it reminds me of the Tattoo School Debacle a few months ago and the huge outpouring of vitriol toward something that people felt strongly about. Tattoo Age on VBS meets the needs of most people as far as giving great, honest,non-sensational coverage of tattooing, but the amount of support is nowhere near the Tattoo School bashing as far as participation. I think that goes back to Jaycel's point about the internet's terms of interaction.

I was hoping Sarah McLachlan was going to pop-up at the end of that video, holding a Juggalo "Call or join online right now and you'll be set-up with a subscription to Tattoo Age on VBS and a link to Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum. Right now, there's a tattoo artist who's willing to help-your call says "I'm finally ready to pay for a decent tattoo""

I was hoping Sarah McLachlan was going to pop-up at the end of that video, holding a Juggalo "Call or join online right now and you'll be set-up with a subscription to Tattoo Age on VBS and a link to Last Sparrow Tattoo Forum. Right now, there's a tattoo artist who's willing to help-your call says "I'm finally ready to pay for a decent tattoo""

Haha that would have been epic!