Hello ladies and gents

Cork

Tattoo enthusiast here from the East Coast. Got my first peice from Dave Fox in Philly this year and I'm scheduled for color at the end of October. When that happens I'll get a better pic.

I still have a ton to learn about good tattoos and I'm looking forward to more art in the future. I'm pretty much in love with the Japanese style, and I'm looking to get decent coverage in the future, money permitting.

So what I have so far is an Oni with Diakoku's lucky mallet. It has multiple meanings to me and I'd gladly explain if anyone is curious. The plan is to take the chest peice and continue it to the shoulder and down the arm, but right now money is tight since I'm saving for a wedding and a house >.<

Hi Cork- welcome to the forum, I am also a newbie here.

Nice work there - there is a great thread on japanese back pieces that may blow your mind as much as mine was.

I'm going to go check that out now. Once I saw some of Shige's work, I told my fiancee that a trip to Japan and a back piece was going to be my midlife crisis, haha.

Certainly a good start dude! Welcome to LST
Welcome, and thanks for sharing that great tattoo.

Thanks!

Ha! That face is so Dave Fox. Nice start and welcome. That's exactly how I started out too. Two shoulder pieces from Dave.

Awesome, you have pics of those? I can't wait to give him the rest of the space on my arm to finish up.

Congratulations on finding an excellent tattooer for your first tattoo.Maybe you won't have to get any bad tattoos since your starting off so good.I was just at that shop for an art gallery they had for Scott Smith.Nice shop,and good guy's.

I really do a lot of research when I make decisions. It took me a long time to even realize what kind of tattoo I wanted. Apparently, before I started researching I've only seen shitty tattoos. I didn't know how awesome a good tattoo can look.

I really do a lot of research when I make decisions. It took me a long time to even realize what kind of tattoo I wanted. Apparently, before I started researching I've only seen shitty tattoos. I didn't know how awesome a good tattoo can look.

Haha I know the feeling. Scary how many bad tattoos there are out there. Sadly I might have research a bit too late.

Is there a certain amount of time, or a certain number of posts I need so that when I make comments, they won't need to be screened by a mod? I tried to post in the back piece thread, and it said my post would have to be approved first to make sure it's not spam.

Welcome from another newbie! This...

...is exactly me too. I was in NYC recently and had thought about going into Wooster St and getting something done, but after walking past about 4 times I decided much more research was needed before I made such a permanent decision! Other might say I chickened out! :D

So what I have so far is an Oni with Diakoku's lucky mallet. It has multiple meanings to me and I'd gladly explain if anyone is curious.

A couple of questions too - how does one go about finding out about things like Oni's and Diakoku's lucky mallet? Is there some Japanese Tattoo meanings/backstories reference book or something? I find it all so interesting but it would be cool if he info was gathered in one place. I did find a site that discussed the meanings of different coloured dragons, but I've no idea if it was correct or not, so a recommended resource would be awesome.

Also, would be keen to hear about your multiple meanings for your tattoo. :)

Alright well I'll just keep posting in this thread since I'm not limited here, haha!

cc13, I wouldn't ridicule you for that. Some people take tattoos lightly, and can go in and grab some flash and be done with it. That's just not my style, and it doesn't seem to be yours either. Don't be ashamed to do it your way, haha.

There is a decent website for checking out meanings of things, I'll link that at the end, hopefully you'll learn a lot. For example, did you know that dragons are actually koi that made it up Longman Falls and through the Dragon Gate? Too bad probably 3/4 of the people with koi on them have no idea what it means.

In Japanese history, Onis were almost always the bad guys in the story. They were the demon antagonist who the hero always had to kill. An oni, with a club specifically, is a metaphor for an unstoppable force. For me, I made the club special. Like I said it's Diakokten's lucky mallet (it has another name but I can never remember it, Uchide-no-kazuke, or something like that). It can grant the wishes of those who hold it, among many other things. Have you ever read the story of the 1 inch Boy, Issun-Boshi? It's a kids book that I loved when I was younger, and the mallet makes an appearance in that story (granting the wish of the 1 inch boy to become full sized).

On top of all this, since Buddhism started to penetrate Japanese society, onis have taken on an almost gargoyle-like representation. The oni was supposed to scare away evil spirts. That's why things like oni tiles exist. It's a roof tile, which looked like an oni mask, that was put on a lot of temples to keep away ghosts.

Anyhow, so to me the oni and the mallet are kind of like my good luck charm to keep evil away and bring me wealth and goodness. And the part about it being an unstoppable force reminds me to kick my ass and always drive for what I want.

Here is a sight to brush up on Japanese, Chinese, Taoist, and even Buddhist figures and imagery.

Diakokuten

Dragons/Koi

Wow!! Just read through that Horiyoshi III page. That is amazing. It's probably a bit early for me to be considering a full body suit but if anything ever made me want to get one...;) How many hours would that take total? I assume people get them built up over many years rather than getting it blasted out in a month or whatever?

I googled Horiyoshi III and see that he does some "hand poking". That must be brutally sore compared to getting done with a machine? Then number of "pokes" just to colour a square inch... :eek:

Does anyone have an idea of (A) How difficult it is to get tattooed by Horiyoshi III and (B) how much it costs? He seems like something of a legend so both are probably not good news...

Artistically I'm sure there are plenty that are his equal or better but there's a certain appeal/mystique to being done by a Japanese master. :cool:

Thanks Lochlan, those threads are great. Sounds like Horiyoshi is passing the mantle to his son. I suspect coming from a position of having no tattoos and currently knowing sweet FA about Japanese tattoo culture would not make me well placed to tempt him back for a blast on me! :D Oh well - I'll keep reading!

The tiger/cherry blossom tree combo on that link Cork supplied is absolutely amazing.

Horiyoshi III is basically retired. He is just finishing up the clients who he still has more work to complete. His son is continuing on after him but he also trained a German guy, Alex Reinke, or Horikitsune.

Tebori takes a loooong time. If you want a full body suit, it would take years. I can't even imagine how much it would cost. I'd guess in the $10ks.