Hi from the UK

cc13

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while now, just reading loads of threads and trying to do some learning. I don't have any tattoos but over the last year or so I've been becoming really obsessed with the idea, having had the idea planted in my head by watching Miami Ink, LA Ink etc. I'd never really wanted a tattoo before but was blown away by the beautiful artwork those guys create and it just totally changed my perception of what tattoos could look like.

I guess I'm most keen on the Japanese style, dragons, tigers, koi etc, and with lots of colour, but am also starting to appreciate what I think is the more "traditional" style of skulls and daggers etc. I'd been thinking about some sort of Japanese half sleeve and chest but I'd also love to get some roses in tribute to my Mum (she's not dead or anything, she's just brilliant, no sob story to get me on TV;)) but I'm thinking roses and Japanese ain't going to gel too well, so probably need to be separate.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I'll see you around.

I think this rose tattoo looks amazing. I'm not keen on the diamond and crown - they wouldn't have any meaning for me - but the roses look stunning.

http://fashstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Rose-Tattoos-for-Men-e1304073534340.jpg

Otherwise more traditional roses perhaps with a dagger might look cool. I dunno - plenty of time to work out what's going to be best.

Hi CC13 - welcome to the thread. I'm also a newbie, I live in the UK, and I don't currently have any tattoos. Sounds like you have interesting ideas about what you want and I'm not very well placed to advise you. Some people might think that your introduction to a love of tattooing through those TV shows is a bad thing, but we all come to it from different routes, and one is no better than the other.

I personally think that a japanese sleeve on one arm, with traditional on the other (including those roses) would look stunning, but some may disagree.

Yeah, I wondered if my "route of entry" might be frowned upon by some. I guess it would be cool to have always been "into" tattoos, but I must admit I don't really recall ever seeing an awesome one in real life so I genuinely had no idea just how amazing they could be. Main exposure has been to ropey tribal bands etc my mates got in Magaluf when we were 18! I did manage to talk one of them out of a Taz holding a pint though. Either way, I find the whole thing fascinating now and my opinion has been very much altered, so hopefully that's the good side of those programs. I must admit I don't watch too much of them, just fast forward the "drama" and get to the results! :D

Oh, and thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to LST. Everyone gets introduced to things in life differently so thanks for your honesty and it is more how we pursue further understanding of things that matters, hopefully LST shows you some tattoos and tattooers that raise the bar on what you call a great tattoo and tattoo artist. Enjoy your time here....