I recently offered to help my friend move his girlfriend out of her parents house. She told me that I needed to wear long sleeves because her parents would not let me into their home with visible tattoos.

They didn't get my help moving.

I would hve done the same

It was funny because she ended up being offended.

My friends choice in the ladies is terrible.

She was offended? Not embarassed? Or ashamed? But offended? I honestly don't think I know anyone that wouldn't let someone with visible tattoos into their home. Perhaps I'm being naive.

She was offended? Not embarassed? Or ashamed? But offended? I honestly don't think I know anyone that wouldn't let someone with visible tattoos into their home. Perhaps I'm being naive.

I know of only a few people, and one being my senile grandmother, as she is old and doesn't understand I am not "one of those bad fellows"

i noticed that after 12 years of living in ohio and seeing tattoos on a regular basis, when i went back to atlanta to visit earlier this year i noticed very few people with visible tattoos. i know there are plenty of people in the metro area and wouldve expected to see more. i did notice i got a lot more weird looks and people starring down there. it was kinda comforting actually. i think in general there is a larger working class population in this part of ohio, so tattoos have been alot more socially acceptable.

i also just noticed that i said notice or some variation of it several times...

Dude, you think Atlanta is bad, come to Nashville...

That said, I never get tired of the reaction.

• 2 weeks later...

That said, I never get tired of the reaction.[/quote

There is a definite look someone gives you when they see you are covered it tattoos. I think it's a combo deer in headlights and awkward smile. I don't get the look that often in Portland, but when i do it's obvious and it's a little reminder. On the other hand at least once a week some elderly person I would expect to give me that look starts a conversation with me. I assume it's because of my adorable son, but maybe they don't have very good eyesight, oh well either way.

I live in eastern Kentucky where visible tattoos, especially those that don't look like they were done in someones bathroom, are pretty rare. I've noticed this kind of odd thing that a lot of older people that I would think would be more likely to react negatively seem to like them. I had one older lady approach me and ask if I had put any lotion on my arms that day. She said the colors were really pretty and proceeded to give me lotion from her purse for me arms. I was raised to be rather polite and make it a point to be. It's always fun to have someone look at you funny and then hold a door for them. That always gets interesting reactions.

That said, I never get tired of the reaction.[/quote

There is a definite look someone gives you when they see you are covered it tattoos. I think it's a combo deer in headlights and awkward smile. I don't get the look that often in Portland, but when i do it's obvious and it's a little reminder. On the other hand at least once a week some elderly person I would expect to give me that look starts a conversation with me. I assume it's because of my adorable son, but maybe they don't have very good eyesight, oh well either way.

Don't know if this is quite the right thread for it, but it's a pretty good story anyway. As I was having my back tattooed I sent progress photos to my Dad via e-mail because he wanted to see how it was going. A couple of his workmates had tattoos and he'd been keeping them in the loop too, because they were interested in the progress. Anyway, after it was finished I sent through a final photo and Dad has it up on his computer screen at work with a few of his buddies looking at it when his boss walks in. Everyone goes sort of quiet and the boss strolls over and looks at what's on the screen. Then he turns to Dad, shakes his head, chuckles and says "Mate. Imagine if your daughter came home with a tattoo like that!'

'Actually,' says Dad...

• 2 months later...

I'm in NY, Long Island to be exact and loads of people are inked and there are tat parlors all over. At my gym, I'd say that 1/2 the guys under 30 are inked to some extent and maybe 10% of the women are as well. I wear a short sleeved shirt when I'm out and about around town, go sleeveless in the gym or at the beach. Of course no shirt when I'm on the beach. I'm 6' tall and 240 lbs and find that people tend to get out of my way when I have tattoos exposed. My wife pointed this out to me a few times. Lots of people from the beach are inked and we hang out together, sort of like a brotherhood.

I never get any derogatory comments, really only good ones and I hand that person a business card from the shop I frequent. If I have to do any business with people (lawyers, vendors, new customers, etc.) I wear a long sleeve dress shirt just in case they're not ink fans. Some know I'm inked after knowing me for a while, seeing me at the shop or supply house.

CG

I get more 'stigma' from my wife than anyone else. "Make sure you wear long sleeves when you come to the kids' school function!" Even in short sleeves 90% of my ink cant even be seen. I wore a T-shirt in the family swimming pool for the first year or two til I decided to just say F-it. No one said anything though. ;-)

I was showing my sister my rib panel the other day and she said "What do you mean 'subtle' -- that thing is huge!!" And by a 'subtle approach' I meant most of my ink can't be seen under typical circumstances.

But no one has ever thrown drinks at me nor followed me around a department store...I just don't have enough ink showing. :-( As far as expecting any 'stigma' to go away...don't hold your breath. If you look different you'll be treated differently. It's a fact. First-impression-perception-based prejudice is a human instinct -- it's how we recognize the HOME team vs. the VISITORs... It's how we distinguished the UNION from the CONFEDERATES. COWBOYS vs. INDIANs. HUMANS vs. MARTIANs. The best we can do is make a good second impression.

I forget how tattooed/tattoo accepting a city Philadelphia is until I read threads like this.

I'd KILL to have a waiter/waitress not bring up my tattoos, show me theirs, etc.

The last time I went to court (Jury duty, 3 years ago- oddly, going again in two weeks) I had both a Bailiff and a judge comment on my tattoos (positively) while waiting for a danish at the free breakfast table.

My mortgage broker asked me "where do you get your work done" while I was closing on my house.

My doctor has a backpiece.

I dunno. I feel it a little when I travel outside of Philly, but even in the middle of buttfucknowhere I tend to get positive reactions. Perhaps it's my charming dimples.

I get more 'stigma' from my wife than anyone else. "Make sure you wear long sleeves when you come to the kids' school function!" Even in short sleeves 90% of my ink cant even be seen. I wore a T-shirt in the family swimming pool for the first year or two til I decided to just say F-it. No one said anything though. ;-)

I was showing my sister my rib panel the other day and she said "What do you mean 'subtle' -- that thing is huge!!" And by a 'subtle approach' I meant most of my ink can't be seen under typical circumstances.

But no one has ever thrown drinks at me nor followed me around a department store...I just don't have enough ink showing. :-( As far as expecting any 'stigma' to go away...don't hold your breath. If you look different you'll be treated differently. It's a fact. First-impression-perception-based prejudice is a human instinct -- it's how we recognize the HOME team vs. the VISITORs... It's how we distinguished the UNION from the CONFEDERATES. COWBOYS vs. INDIANs. HUMANS vs. MARTIANs. The best we can do is make a good second impression.

My wife has me show her friends my new ink all the time. Lots of my neices and nephews, cousins, brothers, etc are inked up. I was funny about showing any ink in public for years and always carried a long sleeve shirt in the car even in summer, one day I said eff it all... now I don't care who sees it and I get good compliments all the time. When my kids were in Cub Scouts and I was one of the outdoor training leaders, one lady went up to the cub master and said I was a bad influence since I had tattoos showing. Meanwhile, her husband was in prison for drug dealing.

CG

Had two Chinese ladies in their 60s or so make my day yesterday. I was on the Skytrain (basically, an elevated subway) heading home from work.

i wear shorts pretty much year-round, and was sitting with my tattooed leg crossed over my other leg, reading. One of the ladies was sitting in front of me,

the other was standing next to me. The one sitting next to me turned around, and was pointing at my leg. "Here we go", I thought, knowing this is the price

we pay for visible tattoos...

Instead, they both started smiling and pointing at it, looking at the detail. I said: "Do you want to see?" And the one standing must have thought I said "Do you want

to sit?" and said "No, no, no" (there were other seats available, as I normally would have offered my seat already otherwise). I put my leg down and pulled up my short

leg so they could see more detail. They both ooh-ed and ah-ed at it, smiling the whole time. They clearly did not speak any English. They both waved goodbye with big

smiles when they got off the train.

Sometimes, reactions surprise you, and they come from the weirdest sources.

I was in a local super market the other week when the misses decided she wouldn't mind a drink so I picked up the booze and did our shopping, as we come to pay I get asked for ID no big deal TBH, I thought it was a bit odd considering I look older than I am and haven't been asked for ID in the last 10 years, I check my pockets and realize Im wearing shorts, I said sorry no but you can trust me, the old woman at the check out then snorted at me "pisshh no I cant!"

The penny dropped, this is because of my tattoos I was gobsmacked, kept my cool while she struggled with the self serve machine made me pay for the item take my receipt and the alcohol to the customer service desk and make another staff member refund me,

as I turn around to leave the same old woman approved the purchase of vodka by a barely 7st piss wet through spotty teenager and his mates.

Needless to say I was pissed off fuck Im still pissed of ha.

• 4 weeks later...

i live in Hong Kong/China most of the time and I experience stigma there all the time. I'm usually there during the summer months and its too hot to wear anything other than shorts. Being Asian and fluent in the local dialect means that I get treated as the local triad all the time. This is one of the reason why I still havn't put any art on my arms. Having any sign of being tattoo means being deny at every single job except for construction and other hard labour jobs. Even having a tiny tattoo means that one cannnot take up any governmental jobs. I even have to "hide" my 2g earlobe when i'm tutoring little kids. it sucks being different in a society that stress and depends on conformity, non of my family member except my parents knows that i'm inked.

I find that people tend to be more polite to me when i have ink showing especially if they want me to do something, however if i want to be taken seriously i have to cover up.

Luckily I'm only here few months of the year, the rest of the time i live in the quite liberal canucks land. Havn't really experience have negative reaction to my ink in canada but I have the other problem of being discriminate cause i look really young....

On my way back down to Philly from Brooklyn two weeks ago we hit a rest area on the NJ turnpike!

The only people who said anything to me and didn't look at me like I was from outer space were a group of Nuns....they all smiled and said hello and even held the door open for me as I was leaving! :)

I always remember.....I made a conscious decision to be the way I am fully knowing that society tends to not be very accepting of people who choose to be or are different! It's sad and unfortunate that this is how society is.....but I made the decisions and I have no problem living with the complications (and there have been many) of my decision!

Just smile at society......it scares them! ;)

Society has come along way in the close to 30 years I have been a tattooed person!

It will eventually get there one day....and hopefully i will live long to see it!

I actually enjoyed things the way they were back about 20 years ago when next to no one had visible tattoos other than me and a friend or two! People treated me different.....but then....I am different! :)

I haven't faced that many negative responses probably because I only have half sleeves. Only a small portion of them is visible when I wear short sleeves. I haven’t stepped up to the forearm. I’m trying to decide right now whether or not to go on my forearms. I work in the corporate business world so this would be a big decision. I do get asked “what do they mean” when meeting new people. I'm really really really sick of that.

I've realised lately that not only have I been left alone by those charity collectors, but I also haven't been yelled at from a passing car. Not even once, since becoming visibly tattooed. I used to get it semi-regularly (sometimes for my clothes, sometimes for my hair, sometimes compliments, sometimes insults).

The recent spate of bikie dummy-spits in the news probably helps :P

I haven't faced that many negative responses probably because I only have half sleeves. Only a small portion of them is visible when I wear short sleeves. I haven’t stepped up to the forearm. I’m trying to decide right now whether or not to go on my forearms. I work in the corporate business world so this would be a big decision. I do get asked “what do they mean” when meeting new people. I'm really really really sick of that.

Why do tattoos have to have a meaning... too much Miami Ink watchin'. I tell them I like the artwork and let it go at that. I do have one tatoo of everyone in my family's zodiac sign in it, that means something.

CG

Savannah seems to be the most heavily tattooed place I've ever lived. That said I seldom have gotten much of a bad vibe from people about my tattoos, and I'm from a fairly backwater place. Last time anyone said anything to me negative was an older lady felt the need to bring up Leviticus on me. I ended the conversation really quick by asking her if she left town when she was on her period.

• 6 months later...

My arms are pretty heavily filled, not really a sleeve, just different pieces patch-worked together. I never really had anything negative happen, most of the time I get compliments.

The only time I ever encounter anything sketchy is when I'm riding the bus. I have a 13 (friday the 13th tattoo) on my right bicep.

So every know and then I get a chollo/homeboy on the bus (I don't live in the best area) flashing gang signs at me. I just look straight ahead an ignore it..and nothing really happens past that.

I also am heavily inked. I always found it funny that in my Marine Corps career that I was rarely judged because people realized that I was a respected Marine first.

Now in the civilian life, I dont see much "to my face judging", maybe because I am not a little guy. I also live in Mormon alley and in my town it is obvious who drives the minivans and who doesnt.

I guess I just dont care if any one does judge me. Married for 26 years, 3 kids graduated from college already, Chamber Prez, Rotary Prez, with quite a resume and still getting a bunch of classy body art.

Although, I know that I have changed a few opinions and have done my job as shaking the "he must of been in prison" stigma.

I am guilty of judging myself, but i feel we all go through life judging as it is instinctual. We judge clothes, shoes, bosses, cars, etc. and even people. The difference is that I treat all people with respect until I have a reason not too.

I also think those of us that take tattooing seriously as an art form are a very special breed. We have each other and we need to remember that.

There are very few people that don't know someone with a tattoo, whether its a hidden Hello Kitty or an entire sleeve, don't let them fool you or pretend they are better than any of us..

One more thing, there is also an entire camp out there that is just jealous but have that wife, husband, father, mother, job, etc. that just will not allow it.

Good luck everyone.

It takes money to join a country club, but it takes commitment to join our club.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to change the subject too much - but what about stigmas attached to certain types of tattoos?

For example, the spider web. I know I've considered getting one but it seems like a lot of the uneducated public still thinks they are prison tattoos.

Either way I still dig 'em.