I'm curious as to why shops dont seem to accept credit cards

cfgsteak

the way our machine was set up, it actually costs more to run a debit and in most cases their band would charge them an additional fee to use it as a debit instead of as a credit card. oh and since we didn't get the new printer the claimed that we had a contract in place for a certain time period which i believe had already expired but if you continue to use it then they automatically renew a contract once the old one expires. then tried to ding the account for the "contract termination fee" which was like $2500 or something. fuck banks

@JAllen, I had a similar experience when I closed a business and had to cancel the credit card machines, etc.

But there are much better options now to take cards: no contracts, free equipment, email/sms receipts, etc.

Per the debit thing, I just tell people I run it like a check card, no dealing with pin numbers, etc.

Lived through those horror stories, too. But came out the other side and pretty happy with what is available/using now.

honestly im kinda surprised that the places that do take credit/debit aren't just using paypal. most people have email/internet capability on their phones and seems like a more reasonable option. anyway, i like to conduct business with cash and a handshake. as much as i like technology and the abilities it brings, theres something i find comforting about a tactile world. i physically put a tattoo on, so it just seems more personal to have physical compensation to show for it. when people have actual money in their hands and they are paying with it, they treat that experience differently.

For me, it would be easier and safer to pay an amount every month using something such as Paypal, and build up my credit gradually with a studio. But I imagine that becomes a hell of a headache, both in terms of accounting, and admin. I noticed that Frith Street don't use a computer to make bookings and appointments, and I can certainly see the logic in that. I find myself in my own job starting to retreat from a dependency on computerised admin, moving back towards paper and pencil, due to reliability.

To me, accepting credit cards is part of doing business in the current age. It's like having a website - it's an essential expense for attracting the most business and providing the best customer service. Pricing should be structured to take the business expenses into account. For artists that have long waiting lists, I can see wherer they can set their own rules, and do their own thing - they're solidly established and their clientele isn't going anywhere. For shops taking walk-ins, and artists building their clientele, I would think they would not want to eliminate a portion of their customer base over the credit card fees.

Also, there's the fact that a great many shops are not in the greatest neighborhoods - there are shops I like in locations where I'm REALLY not comfortable carrying a grand in cash on me. The card carries lower risk.

That having been said, I have paid for all of my tattoos to date with cash, save a small portion of one since it ended up costing a bit more than I had expected, and it was a case of use the card or don't tip the artist....

im worried about carrying and travelling around with 1000$+ in my pocket this weekend at the convention.

ugh

No offence intended but be mindful this is a public forum. Its probobly not a good idea to advertise that there are likely to be people walking around tattoo conventions carrying large quantities of cash.

To me, accepting credit cards is part of doing business in the current age. It's like having a website - it's an essential expense for attracting the most business and providing the best customer service. Pricing should be structured to take the business expenses into account. For artists that have long waiting lists, I can see wherer they can set their own rules, and do their own thing - they're solidly established and their clientele isn't going anywhere. For shops taking walk-ins, and artists building their clientele, I would think they would not want to eliminate a portion of their customer base over the credit card fees.

Also, there's the fact that a great many shops are not in the greatest neighborhoods - there are shops I like in locations where I'm REALLY not comfortable carrying a grand in cash on me. The card carries lower risk.

That having been said, I have paid for all of my tattoos to date with cash, save a small portion of one since it ended up costing a bit more than I had expected, and it was a case of use the card or don't tip the artist....

If you have five or six people in a shop booked out solid there is probably enough money coming in to cover credit card fees and like you pointed out makes it so customers and tattooers don't have to walk around with large amounts of cash if they don't feel comfortable doing so. This definitely makes sense in my mind and I can see why some shops have chosen to accept cards.

In a street shop with two guys tattooing most days I could see how it would be harder. Even if you are somewhat established there are some days when you are doing script names for shop minimum and after you factor the cost of supplies and pay the shop you are lucky if you make money on some of these tattoos. Raising prices to pay some company to hand money back and forth between you and your client seems silly to me in this scenario . If the reality was people were not getting tattooed at the shop because we don't accept cards, then I think obviously the policy would change, but really people don't seem to mind and I think that is what it comes down to, what works for each shop.

• 1 year later...

Bank fees for sure, and the sake of keeping everything as simple as possible. We were running the shop as cash only, but ended up getting a cc machine, its good and bad. People are willing to spend more if they don't have to physically part with it. The cost per transaction can be high, especially on large tickets, but at least you can write off your fees.

I always have paid cash, even if I have to hit my (no charge) ATM on the way to my appointment. The shop I go to takes credit cards, although they don't advertise it. I like the traditional ritual of peeling off a stack of greasy $20 bills to settle things up.

I know of one shop that has an ATM in it. This place is jumpin' all the time with an army of artists and piercers to keep it going.

Rob

Another thing to think about is if the CC is stolen a tattoo isn't exactly something that can be repo'ed. I mean maybe some sort of insurance will cover the money on the shop's side, but still, it probably doesn't feel awesome to be the artist who gave someone some stolen time and art.