I'm curious as to why shops dont seem to accept credit cards

cfgsteak

I had to pay with a card once and felt like I was ripping the shop off. As @dari said... cash is king.

why? do you feel that way when you use your card else where?

honestly, i hate carrying $20 on me, let alone hundreds of dollars. the only exception is when i'm getting tattooed. i had to pay with my debit card one time because i didn't bring enough cash, but that's the cost of doing business, which shops should take into consideration. it's 2013. most people i know share the same sentiment as i do.

Times have changed with credit cards just as they have with everything else. We accept cc, not in a tattoo parlor, but a tool store, and don't have a terminal. Everything is handled in our computer. Type in a cc number and away you go. There are other options, such as The Square, that allow you to accept transactions on any smartphone. Pretty simple. As far as the charge, that typically maxes out at around 2 or 3 percent of the transaction-not a killer.

My rule is that while I may use a card for payment, rarely, I tip in cash, always!

I'm sure that NO reputable tattooer would evade or avoid paying taxes on his/her full income, so I know THAT'S not why some places prefer cash!

honestly, i hate carrying $20 on me, let alone hundreds of dollars. the only exception is when i'm getting tattooed.

I love carrying hundreds of dollars on me, but rarely have legitimate need to. The only exception is when I'm getting tattooed.

Cash is indeed king.

No offense to any previous posters, but if anyone from here ever sees me paying for a tattoo with anything but cash, feel free to punch me in the face.

Normally I have to carry cash at least a hundred in NYC since it seems a lot of the places I frequent don't take card (aka 10 minimum at the bagel shop). Getting tattooed I usually withdraw a few hundred right before I walk in. Nothing feels worse than walking around with a stack of 20s

I like walking into a tat shop with a pocket full of $$$ so I know it'll cover the whole deal, in case that 2-hour session runs 3 or more. I carry my cash (don't carry a wallet 99% of the time) in my front pocket of my jeans.

Rob

There is something so satisfying in getting tattooed, whipping out a fat stack of twenties, (having counted them before getting tattooed) and then as I'm walking out the door, (when they are counting the money), getting shouted at "Hey thanks!!!" as they find the extra 20 I slipped in

i know smith st accepts cards. the only reason why i don't pay with my debit card is because they don't charge tax if you pay with cash. that's a pretty good reason to pay in cash.

That's nice! Whenever I go to Kings Ave, I pay that 4.5% NY tax regardless of cash or credit. Not a big deal, but it sucks when you forget about it and only bring exactly a $100 deposit... :mad:

There is something so satisfying in getting tattooed, whipping out a fat stack of twenties, (having counted them before getting tattooed) and then as I'm walking out the door, (when they are counting the money), getting shouted at "Hey thanks!!!" as they find the extra 20 I slipped in

I never know what my session is going to cost me ahead of time, so I bring roughly double of what I expect it to be. Sometimes it runs later especially if we're on a roll with something.

Rob

I had the same thing happen to me in my local small town..... I believe they are just trying to keep them off the books for tax reasons

Part of the common misconception, you give a tattooer x amount of dollars, they pocket all the cash and spends it on all the finer things in life, while they hob nob with Robin Leach, and the tax man is none the wiser.

While I can't speak for everyone in regards to paying taxes, In General, tattooers pay a lot of taxes since they are self employeed, owners of shop pay even more because of local taxes on business (Public Transportation tax for one example). Fees from Credit cards transactions cut into profit, and in some ways they might as well be a tax, because it just results in less money in your pocket at end of the year and more money you pay the accountant to sort it all out. Like it's been said before, even places that accept cards would rather you pay cash.

I don't think any shop or tattooer would appreciate anyone just assuming they are committing tax fraud, or that it's a common practice by tattooers in general, especially as many of them are writing big checks to govt during this tax season.

I never know what my session is going to cost me ahead of time, so I bring roughly double of what I expect it to be. Sometimes it runs later especially if we're on a roll with something.

Rob

ah ok. Well, I usually know exactly how much, ahead of time, so I bring that much plus a tip. I never have been tattooed not knowing what it will cost me... but then again, I dont have any huge tattoos.

ah ok. Well, I usually know exactly how much, ahead of time, so I bring that much plus a tip. I never have been tattooed not knowing what it will cost me... but then again, I dont have any huge tattoos.

True, I used to know that I was going to spend either $25 or $30 on my 1st tat.. and knew zilch about tipping. I know one shop that has flash posted with prices, a definite throwback to the old days.

Rob

I only used a card when I got a Visa gift card for Christmas. In the Bay Area, only Blackheart and Spider Murphy accept card. So I used my gift card to put a deposit down. Other than that, cash is always king. It's just simpler for everyone.

my first tattoo was done by vinse one. never been in a shop before. this was almost 10 years ago. i thought theyd take cards. after it was finished i was like "oh fuckkk" i had to leave my computer as collateral until the next day because my card had a 300$ limit at the atm. thoroughly embarrassing and i make sure to always go to the bank the day before a session now

my first tattoo was done by vinse one. never been in a shop before. this was almost 10 years ago. i thought theyd take cards. after it was finished i was like "oh fuckkk" i had to leave my computer as collateral until the next day because my card had a 300$ limit at the atm. thoroughly embarrassing and i make sure to always go to the bank the day before a session now

haha i always wondered what they would do if they finished a tattoo and the customer said they only had half the money. I imagine there are some shops that require payment before the tattooing starts.

Personally, I believe you should never make it difficult for your customer to pay...paying by credit is a great way for them to spend money they don't actually have in the bank. Yes, there are many fees, and it does add up, but (at least for my business,) accepting credit is half our business. It's also a great way to make sure your artists aren't pocketing cash. :) I think it really comes down to convenience for the customer. If I went shopping (anywhere, for anything) and they didn't accept cards, I would never go there again to avoid the hassle.

I think a lot more shops where people also sell machines, flash, paintings or books would probably tend to have credit card machines. A big tattoo, plus a machine and set of flash can add up real quick even if you did bring a bunch of tattoo money.We have the card machines at our shop, but we are in a tourist town and it seems like 70% of our business goes on the card. I see the fees as part of the artists percentage, so he doesn't have any extra charge. I could see why shops and shop owners wouldn't want to deal with it, but it works for us. I personally think it's weird to charge a tattoo and not pay cash, but I think it's really weird to see people using cards at McDonald's. That's just the way it's going these days.

*customer tips*

-when you are asked "debit or credit?" in a shop, ask which has the lowest processing rate. For my shop, we get charged lower for debit, so we prefer that if possible. Plans vary, so ask if they have a preference.

-If you plan to tip on a card, ask if the tip can be written in like a restaurant or has to be entered in to the total. It's a different plan for that write in tip line and I know we haven't had that at any of the shop I worked at that accepted cards.

-If you are getting tattooed at a convention or in a cash only shop and have to use a cash machine, most banks have an $300 or so per day that you can get out of the atm. If you get stuck and need more, you can call and raise that daily limit over the phone.

*also- Lately (during tax season,) we have been seeing a lot of people with "tax refund loaded cards" from H&R Block, and others. I would hate to turn those customers away! Just another great reason to have a card machine! :)

- - - Updated - - -

*customer tips*

-when you are asked "debit or credit?" in a shop, ask which has the lowest processing rate. For my shop, we get charged lower for debit, so we prefer that if possible. Plans vary, so ask if they have a preference.

Yes! If we have a customer paying with credit, we have someone else ring them up, so when they ask "credit or debit?" they can also politely ask "would you like to leave a tip for ____? " It's a great way for artists to get tips without directly asking themselves, or putting up a sign in their booth. :) It works every time and educates the client on tipping if they were unaware.

The first time I hit a shop that was cash only I was not ready. I walked in, dude spent 4 hours on me, and I was ready to pay debit.....BOOM. I said "Let me run to the ATM and keep my wallet/ID" the artist said "Nah man, just go and come back, I have a photocopy of your ID so I know where you live." Hahaha pretty logical.

I think a lot more shops where people also sell machines, flash, paintings or books would probably tend to have credit card machines. .

I think pay pal and card scanners on smart phones are what we will see more of. In a sense having a credit card machine in the shop is like having a land line, having an ATM is like having a pay phone. With people working at different shops, traveling, it would seem like you would want a payment solution that would be mobile and controlled by the tattooer. I have always been taught the attitude that tattooers are contractors, and not employees of the shop, they handle their money and our responsible for settling up with shop not the other way around.

I kind of think of taking credit is like having a computer in the shop. It's great tool to have when you absolutely need it, but once customers know it's their they will never go back. We have spent a long time training people to print out reference material and go to the bank. Just in the last few months when I have let on that I can print out stuff people bring on the phone, and I already regret it. I have a feeling if we started taking cards would be the same thing.

Do Tattooers really come in and pay for machines and flash with cards? That would just seem weird to me, weirder than paying for a tattoo that way.

the first year i had Acme tattoo in Charlottesville va, i took credit cards. that year i ended up paying more in processing fees than i did in taxes. that was the end of that. i dont see why a shop should have to pay for the lack of planning on the part of its clients. i worked for a shop once that took cards but charged a 5$ fee to accept them. I am not sure that was legal, but it helped. we would say, " we can take your card here for 5$ or you can walk to the end of the block and pay 3$ fee for atm." honestly the big2$ we made per transaction wasnt worth the extra trouble and paperwork in my book. CASH is what we want. everything else is just an I.O.U.

I can certainly understand the appeal of cash, but it may not always be practical.

I have been in many shops where I wouldn't WANT to walk to the end of the block for coffee, let alone to stand at an ATM and take money out and then run the gauntlet back. And I'm not a hardass or tough guy, but if I don't want to do that, I bet not too many other people do. THAT'S where the CC comes in handy.

As far as processing fees go, you can shop around and get the best rate possible. We have to take CC, and when we started to, I think our rate was like 6%, but now we are down to about 2.25%. Makes a major difference.

You aren't "supposed" to charge extra for using a card, but I would build that right into the price, and if the customer offered to pay cash, then you can always give them warm and fuzzies by offering a discount.