I'm curious as to why shops dont seem to accept credit cards

cfgsteak

Do Tattooers really come in and pay for machines and flash with cards? That would just seem weird to me, weirder than paying for a tattoo that way.

I meant that the cost of a tattoo machine and flash, or a book or original painting could add up past your pocket money real quick, especially if you fall in love with something you were not expecting to see. Not necessarily that tattooers or machine builders regularly use or accept credit cards, or should. It works for our small shop (two tattooers) but could be real nightmare if we had six tattooers and one wanted to use paypal, two got scanners for their phones, one who refuses to accept credit cards because it ain't how the old timers did it, etc. I think if I were charging a bunch of tattooers the processing rate for their transactions, all those headaches would add up real quick. Plus, as the whole contractor/employee line. My other guy uses my machine and he doesn't lose any money. My rates have come down since I've been at it a while.

I also think you're right in that the card machines themselves will become antiquated as electronic payments advance. I looked into iphone card readers a while ago and it came down to me feeling a little more comfortable with my regular bank, which I could go across the street and go talk to someone directly if I had a problem. The rates were pretty high on them too, at least the one I looked at. They've probably come down with more options available now. If my other tattooer found a great one and wanted to use it, or just wanted to accept paypal as gifts or something, that'd be fine by me. I've considered going back to cash only just to keep it simple and protect ourselves against any card fraud or identity thefting, but these days especially since we've already had it, It'd be tough to go back. I don't fault any shop or artist for being cash only. Way easier and it worked forever.

I meant that the cost of a tattoo machine and flash, or a book or original painting could add up past your pocket money real quick, especially if you fall in love with something you were not expecting to see. Not necessarily that tattooers or machine builders regularly use or accept credit cards, or should. It works for our small shop (two tattooers) but could be real nightmare if we had six tattooers and one wanted to use paypal, two got scanners for their phones, one who refuses to accept credit cards because it ain't how the old timers did it, etc. I think if I were charging a bunch of tattooers the processing rate for their transactions, all those headaches would add up real quick. Plus, as the whole contractor/employee line. My other guy uses my machine and he doesn't lose any money. My rates have come down since I've been at it a while.

I also think you're right in that the card machines themselves will become antiquated as electronic payments advance. I looked into iphone card readers a while ago and it came down to me feeling a little more comfortable with my regular bank, which I could go across the street and go talk to someone directly if I had a problem. The rates were pretty high on them too, at least the one I looked at. They've probably come down with more options available now. If my other tattooer found a great one and wanted to use it, or just wanted to accept paypal as gifts or something, that'd be fine by me. I've considered going back to cash only just to keep it simple and protect ourselves against any card fraud or identity thefting, but these days especially since we've already had it, It'd be tough to go back. I don't fault any shop or artist for being cash only. Way easier and it worked forever.

I don't fault anyone for taking cards either man, especially if it works better for them. There are so many different variables with tattooing. Some guys tattoo out of a shack and save every penny they can on overhead, while other people need a 2000 sq ft $3000 a month space in a high traffic neighborhood, spending money on advertising and most are somewhere in between, and the only right answer is the one who works for the shop.