Tight-Lines

I've been playing the hell out of Ruby Ibarra's Lost in Translation mixtape. Ruby rhymes fast and writes in layers, uses words w double meaning and makes it work both ways. Plus she goes back and forth from Tagalog to English (mostly English) as she is Filipina.

This seems like a good place to post my friend's stickers:

tumblr_muh565kcws1qa2zudo1_1280.jpg

So sayeth Lil' Wayne fans everywhere. ;)

That's an awful lot of stickers, though, man. Does he sell them or just kinda throw them at people? I don't know how else he could get rid of that many.

EDIT: Figured since I already bumped this back to the top, I might as well stick in what I'm listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M58c5r2UIhI

• 3 months later...
I respectfully disagree. RTJ2 still punches me in face. "Love Again" feat. Gangsta Boo goes so hard. Listen to it with headphones with BASS. Contemplating seeing them live.

My man, I'm gonna relisten to this record right now to make sure I see this from your point of view. :D

But Love Again is certainly rad, especially it's not so subtle reference to "Put It In Your Mouth"

• 2 weeks later...
That was my first impression too, @CultExciter. But after listening to almost nothing else for the past few days I'm digging it just as much if not more than the first one.

Plus you can't beat the price: free.

After about 20 listens I'm with you and @CABS now. It didn't hit me as hard as the first record did at first, but now I'm noticing even more what they did lyrically and with the production. An unstoppable team these two are.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been listening to GDP for a year and a half. Useless Eaters was in my top 5 albums last year. Found out a week or two ago that a fellow LSTer made a bunch of shirts for him. Small world, getting smaller. I'll leave it up to said LSTer to publicly voice his input.

I just peeped this. For some reason, Edan's "Beauty And The Beat" comes to mind when I listen to this even though it sounds nothing alike. Probably b/c the production is so incredibly dense with the very distinctive Atlantic Coast vibe.

Been loving RTJ2 of course, in some ways it reminds me more of El Ps older stuff than the first one did, really fun album. Anybody else get on the new Souls of Mischief, People Under the Stairs, or Dilated Peoples joints?

The new Souls is an awesome concept album, cool to hear something different from those guys, the People and the Peoples albums sound a lot like their old stuff which was expected, but still very solid stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't heard the Souls of Mischief Album and I've seen ya'll are all over the RTJ2 album

any of you heard Ras Kass and Apollo Browns new album Blasphemy or Royce da 5' 9" and DJ Premiere 's album "Pryhme"?!? Both of those go in!! Im also loving Stalley's album "Ohio"...not as good as "Honest Cowboy" but it's definitely a nice listen

• 1 year later...

Going to revive this thread from the depths. So what have you been listening to lately?

When first really started to care about music (early 2000s) I downloaded and listened to A LOT of rap and punk so I think that's my foundation. I would say probably 70 percent of what I listen to nowadays is rap music. Even though I now enjoy a lot of other genres too, rap is extra close to my heart.

My favorite artists recently have been:

(Brownsville) Ka : Sounds kind of like Raekwon but for our time, and with a lot of more depth and message in the lyrics. He's got amazing ways with words. The Night's Gambit is a fantastic album, start to finish and I just bought his new project along with Roc Marciano called Days with Dr. Yen Lo.

"

Chance The Rapper : Kind of has a gimmicky voice and sound, either you love it or you don't. I think Acid Rap is a great album with many good tracks. I really like the positive messages, playfullnes and sensitivity that he often shows. This song has a fair bit of that epicness that makes Kendrick Lamar such a great storyteller.

Chords : I wanted to give some shine to a old cat in the swedish rap game. Most of the swedish rappers that I like use swedish but Chords does mainly in English. Looped State of Mind is one of the albums I listened to the most back in 2013. Clean, jazzy, introspective and honest.

Clockwork Indigo : Couldn't chose to plug just one of the Flatbush Zombies or The Underachievers so I plug this joint effort that they put out for the tour they did together last year. I saw them in Stockholm and it was great fun, super energetic. I really love The Underachievers for the positivity, ideas and concioussnes (corny word, I know) that they bring to the rap game. Other rappers ain't really about shit! My favorite is their albumt titled Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium

"

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib : Piñata is a great album. These two are a match made in heaven. Freddies lyrics are so gritty, and his delivery makes it sound easy without ever losing one percent of his charisma.

Main Attrakionz : These two guys are the best. Super productive and always pushing new sounds and song compositions. Laid back, trippy, cloud rap with a positive message and a self biographical element that grows more sincere and deep the more you listen to their big catalogue. Google "Green Ova" to find out about their other projects and related artists. Last years 808's and Dark Grapes III is a masterpiece

"

Westside Gunn & Conway : Really don't know too much about this, but been listening to it a lot. Cinematic and raw. Albums is called Griselda Ghost and both artist have put out great solo stuff besides this project.

Honorable mentions:

Death Grips, G-Side, Gorilla Warfare Tactics, Kendrick Lamar, Nujabes, Durag Dynasty, Jay Rock, Kevin Gates, Stormzy, Flash Giordani

Also the mash up mixtape by Terry Urban of Lana Del Rey and Biggie is super heavy!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...