Art thread.

irezumi

Grayson Perry.

Yeah, it's a huge pic, but its the best way to see the whole quilt, and in its true color.

thewalthamstowtapestry_2009.jpg

*hm. apparently LST won't let me post it at actual photo size.

click here to view it at a size to appreciate it

This is one of the greatest things I've seen. For real. There are very few truly great textile artists, especially quilters doing work like this.

I thought some of his pottery was pretty rad. I still prefer the ceramics that Ed Hardy has been doing. All white with blue paint. Japanese style.

And yeah, if I ever go to the UK I'm def gonna try and make a stop at the museum where this will (hopefully still) be hanging.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my girlfriend a Stephen Wiltshire print for Christmas.

He's an unsual guy. An an autistic child growing up, he didn't speak, but used art materials to communicate. Over time it became clear he was both a talented artist and someone who had an unusually good visual memory.

He's best know for drawing street scenes and city panoramas from memory, using fine-line black pens.

The Stephen Wiltshire Gallery - Drawings, paintings and prints

Bought her a print of the Toronto skyline (it's a city we visit together a lot). What I really want, though, is one of the big panoramas ... Tokyo, ideally.

Got my girlfriend a Stephen Wiltshire print for Christmas.

He's an unsual guy. An an autistic child growing up, he didn't speak, but used art materials to communicate. Over time it became clear he was both a talented artist and someone who had an unusually good visual memory.

He's best know for drawing street scenes and city panoramas from memory, using fine-line black pens.

The Stephen Wiltshire Gallery - Drawings, paintings and prints

Bought her a print of the Toronto skyline (it's a city we visit together a lot). What I really want, though, is one of the big panoramas ... Tokyo, ideally.

Hes amazing really talented guy.

art_gallery.aspx?Id=1935

this is a fascinating documentary that i highly suggest watching. it blew my socks off. all the stills in the trailer are photos he takes of his 'world', and are just as amazing as the stuff he's making.

i've watched this documentary probably a dozen times and it still blows me away every time.

nature,aurora,landscape,photo,photography,art-bb0daba1494eb70630c7f441762e4209_h.jpg

from a friend:

"Buddy of mine owns a flight charter company in AK. He just flew a photographer, Norio Matsumoto, up onto the glacier at Mt. McKinley for the 13th year in a row. This guy builds a snow cave on the glacier and lives there for 7 weeks taking pics, with his main goal being taking the perfect pic of the Northern Lights and Mt. McKinley. "

more info here :)