Art thread.

irezumi

So I was driving through the neighborhood yesterday and spotted this vintage woodframed window with one pane broken on the curb. My first thought was the Broken Window Theory, the old criminology theory that disrepair leads to increased vandalism. So I took that idea and started this project. Each day for a week, I do a quick and 'toy' throwup on the back side of the window, being careful to tape off the broken pane. Then I hit the piece with carb cleaner (remover), letting the piece before it 'leak' through. At the end of the week, you should be able to see pieces of seven different throw-ups peeking through and one 'clean' broken window pane. The end result is a statement on the life cycle of graffiti, how society goes after the art, but never fixes the "broken window", whatever that happens to be;

Phase 1:

255574_465646780134733_2136072909_n.jpg

Phase 2:

309253_465794516786626_1449407881_n.jpg

Phase 3:

396423_466203686745709_23449927_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
\-_-/ = modern art (according to a generation of idiots raised on the internet)

I have a former neighbour who seems to be doing pretty well for himself--if you count gallery showings, publications, etc., as an indicator of "doing pretty well"--doing exactly that and calling it art. Doesn't mean that it isn't complete and utter flash-in-the-pan garbage though.