Freddy Corbin's Temple Tattoo (Oakland, CA)

Lochlan

After watching the new tattoo age video of Freddy and recently looking at the 222 Tattoo Shop thread I think we need a Temple Tattoo thread. Also for good measures let's make Tattoo 13 (Freddy's other shop with good tattooers as well) in the mix....For those who haven't seen it here is the interview Scott Sylvia did with Freddy Corbin for LST

For me Temple Tattoo is where @Scott Sylvia outlined and did some of the shading on my lower left arm of a cobra with a Dia De Los Muertos mask on wrapped around a sacred heart. Also Freddy Corbin did the lettering on my collar bone which I've mentioned in the lettering thread was impressive to see him make a few lines on my collar then take the pen and start writing some amazing script straight on where within a few minutes said "take a look in the mirror", the man is impressive. But overall when I think of Temple I think of hanging out laughing with friends, after hours smoking inside, and shooting the shit. The beautiful religious art, altars, flash with very good and friendly tattooers inside. I remember in the early days trying to find something to eat close by on the weekends was a pain in the ass as the block/area used to be like a zombie ghost town on the weekends.

For Tattoo Thirteen I instantly think of Chummy Alexanian and Hector Fong as well as the same vibe/atmosphere as Temple. Plus the infamous Friday the Thirteenth parties there. I've only been tattooed once there and it was by Freddy at one of the parties. I had a colleague with Parkinson's want to get tattooed so I gave him a list of tattoo shops to checkout and he decided on here so I went with him and Sonju tattooed him. The experience was great and Sonju was very patient and gave him a great tattoo which I can only imagine is no easy job in that situation and the uncontrollable moving.

Lets hear your stories........

Excellent thread! I love, love, love Temple. I've been tattooed there by Freddy and Heath Preheim, and my wife has been tattooed there by Freddy, Heath and Jamie Ruth. We've also stopped by to see other friends get tattooed, or just to visit with Freddy when we're in the neighborhood. Those of you have been tattooed there know that things run on a slightly looser schedule, but it's all part of Temple's charm. Just sit back, soak up some great stories and enjoy your small place in tattoo history.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
super pumped man. Any suggestions on any live music, bars, grub???

Will you have a rental or are you on foot? There are a few bars in the vicinity, but nothing like next door or anything. Make Westing, Somar, The Legionnaire and Cafe Van Kleef are the closest within walking distance. My favorite bars, Trappist and Beer Revolution, are a little further and would probably require a car, but totally worth it.

As far as food goes, depends on what you're looking for. If you have a car, Rosamunde for gourmet sausages is where I'd go. Trueburger has arguably the best burger in Oakland. Ike's has the best sandwiches in The Bay. Hawker Fare has awesome Asian fusion rice bowls. That's all just off the top.

There's decent Mexican food that is actually walking distance from Temple. Not amazing, but it'll do for a quick fix.

You can Yelp whatever's close to the area too depending on your preferences. Or when you check in for your appointment, just ask the counter help where they like to go. They're always going on food runs for the tattooers.

been really tempted to set up an appointment with freddy while i'm out there getting tattooed by stuart in september. i need to make sure i have my money right before i do something like that because i'd hate to not have enough money but i don't wanna regret not getting tattooed by him while i have the opportunity!

been really tempted to set up an appointment with freddy while i'm out there getting tattooed by stuart in september. i need to make sure i have my money right before i do something like that because i'd hate to not have enough money but i don't wanna regret not getting tattooed by him while i have the opportunity!

Do it!!! Getting tattooed by Freddy is such an awesome experience. They don't call him Mr Nice Guy for nothing.

Just got back from a trip to the Bay area and my appointment with Freddy. Ya'll were right! Awesome shop, awesome tattoo, and awesome dude, and not just Freddy but everyone there. I would highly recommend getting tattooed at Temple or just meeting Freddy if you ever get the chance.

Congrats! Now post a damn photo. :)

A little California black and gray

- - - Updated - - -

I still can't get my pictures right side up but you get the point

That's a really nice, classic piece. Freddy is great. Going there to try and drop-in and also make an appointment at the same time. Was going to get a black and grey dagger + rose from Freddy.

That's a really nice, classic piece. Freddy is great. Going there to try and drop-in and also make an appointment at the same time. Was going to get a black and grey dagger + rose from Freddy.

Do it man! You'll have a badass tattoo and a great experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice one!!

Thanks man. With the BART strike and shit we got in and out of Oakland as fast as possible so I didn't get to see much of the city but temple was super cool. Ill be back to temple and Oakland some day soon.

Thanks man. With the BART strike and shit we got in and out of Oakland as fast as possible so I didn't get to see much of the city but temple was super cool. Ill be back to temple and Oakland some day soon.

Bummer you got caught in the middle of the BART strike.