Tattoo Compliments/Positive Comments?

MGblues

I know a lot of the time folks complain about receiving negative comments from the non-tattooed about being tattooed. I get my share of stares, but have ever you gotten any compliments from the general population that just made you smile?

Normally on the positive side I get "I love {This/That} tattoo", or "Was that done locally?" I smile, nod and answer politely.

Not that I ever gave a shit what other people think of me, but I've gotten "You know, you just wouldn't look right without the tattoos." (or words to that effect) on three separate occasions recently. It just made me feel really good.

It could be that I was just grew up in Japan for tattooing, but when people see my tattoos they don't realize how much I have, so that is a shock for them. After words its compliments and what not.... I don't really care for what other people think, I'm still trying to achieve what I want before I'll let others judge me.

Had one of the guys working in my local Coles (supermarket) stop what he was doing and come over to gawk at me. Some kind of foreign accent (I hate to assume, but my guess would be he was from India/Pakistan?) - "Oh, is beautiful! *stares for ages*... "oh, she's holding a knife! I thought it was just a nice girl! Wow!". He was so friendly ^.^

I've had a couple of really old ladies say things to the effect of "I like your look", or "Good on you for being different". Usually in a nice way, so I guess those are compliments?

Yes! Girl from Austin came into the bar right as I was opening and we shot the shit til her friends got there about an hour later, and talked about tattoos the whole time. Always starts slow, both parties usually a little skeptical of the other, but great when you're on the same page. At first I was annoyed someone came in right as I unlocked the door, but turned out great.

Also reminds me of this thread that never really got going a while ago:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-101/719-preferential-treatment.html

I was running around the lake the other day (shirtless, duh) and OPD was posting outside of their cars drinking coffee and bullshitting (as always). As I was running by I couldnt help but notice that they were pointing at me like I was either:

A: and ex-con

B: they liked my tattoos

C: they were into dudes, and thought I was hot.

D: they were pointing at the hot chicks running behind me and didnt give a shit about me.

Id like to think it was B/C/.

One time I was in the grocery store in shorts and a long sleeve t shirt. At the time I had close to full sleeves a tiger snake battle on my calf, but nothing on my lower legs except for the sailor jerry Love thy neighbor. Had some old vet with a couple really cool old tattoos walk by and say that's a damn fine tattoo, it's a shame it's on the back of your leg and you don't get to see it. He elaborated a little more on it, but it was cool just having a conversation about tattoos with someone who appreciates them and not asking me how they can get hooked up with discount work.

I just wen't to the Doctors to get a physical for work,and the guy saw my portrait of Gandhi,and he asked me where i got it done.Turns out his dog died and he want's to get a portrait of him.He actually did some research and found out about Bob Tyrrell.I told him yeah he's excellent,but there's plenty of capable tattooers around here that can also do a great job.

I just wen't to the Doctors to get a physical for work,and the guy saw my portrait of Gandhi,and he asked me where i got it done.Turns out his dog died and he want's to get a portrait of him.He actually did some research and found out about Bob Tyrrell.I told him yeah he's excellent,but there's plenty of capable tattooers around here that can also do a great job.

It's a great thing when people do their research, especially when they come up with some really top-notch tattooers they'd like to get tattooed by. Such a good feeling in a weird way.

I can agree with the doctor thing as well!

Also I found over in Newark, NJ (I used to live there so I go back a lot) I usually get a lot of comments by people working in the shops. Also almost every person that works at the Panera Cafe, almost always starts a conversation about my tattoo/their tattoo as they are almost always tattooed.

Probably the funniest response I got was in a Starbucks by where I work. I usually go in there in a suit, but once went there on a weekend. The guy working the counter recognized me and was blown away that suit-types can actually like metal (Cannibal Corpse shirt) and have tattoos. It was kind of funny.

I've gotten nothing but good feedback so far from the most unsuspecting people. My dermatologist (oddly enough) always says good whenever he sees a new one.

Before working in a hospital, I figured it'd be a lot of negative feedback from the older folks, but it's been nothing but compliments and good conversation starters for some.

• 1 month later...