What are American quirks?!?

Jaycel Adkins

Hi,

What quirks do Americans have? I saw this on The Daily Blog and thought it was pretty interesting.

What are America's quirks? - americanculture emingrant immigrant | Ask MetaFilter

There is a significant number of posters from Europe on here, so thought you all might have taken notice of interesting ones as well.

For me:

Bad: Ignorance deemed a virtue.

Good: Second chances.

Hi,

What quirks do Americans have? I saw this on The Daily Blog and thought it was pretty interesting.

What are America's quirks? - americanculture emingrant immigrant | Ask MetaFilter

There is a significant number of posters from Europe on here, so thought you all might have taken notice of interesting ones as well.

For me:

Bad: Ignorance deemed a virtue.

Good: Second chances.

That you have to ask says it all ...

That I can turn on the TV at dinner and see an eviscerated corpse (thanks "Bones"), but I can't see a topless woman because that's harmful in some way (?)

Yes I do agree with this 100%. In America it's worse to see anything sexual but blood/gore/death is 100% ok.

I know my German friends said it was weird that nobody can drink outside, yet we are a country of heavy drinkers. They also commented that we use "wagons" while shopping, and usually stock up considerable more.

I think it really depends on which part of the USA that you talk about because areas vary a lot when you talk NYC-Metro vs Mid-West vs West-Coast etc etc

I can't say for sure, since I don't know anything about 'reality shows' in other countries, but the fact that we award some lady for birthing twenty-something kids w/ fame and fortune seems pretty "quirky". Also, pride in being rustic, which I find awesome, seems to be looked down upon in other countries.

I'm going to guess the lady in front of me in line at the grocery store with her tweety bird pajama pants and shearling boots, three kids in tow buying twelve 2 liters of Soda, Lucky Charms, frozen pizza, and a tray of cupcakes on food stamps while yelling at her kids to behave so she can go get some smokes at the customer service desk has something to do with it. At least she has my vote.

I'm going to guess the lady in front of me in line at the grocery store with her tweety bird pajama pants and shearling boots, three kids in tow buying twelve 2 liters of Soda, Lucky Charms, frozen pizza, and a tray of cupcakes on food stamps while yelling at her kids to behave so she can go get some smokes at the customer service desk has something to do with it. At least she has my vote.

Thought you were describing Scotland there !! The other night I was out and there was a woman dragging her tiny kids along the street going "c'mon ! hurry up ! we need to get to the off-license!!" (off license/licensed grocers is what we brits call a liquor store)

Thought you were describing Scotland there !! The other night I was out and there was a woman dragging her tiny kids along the street going "c'mon ! hurry up ! we need to get to the off-license!!" (off license/licensed grocers is what we brits call a liquor store)

Im not sure how removed and mass produced food in the UK is, but out here thats all we have (for the most part) thus making it much cheaper. Thats my biggest issue with the states. This is much more serious than my Pantera post.

Yeah honestly I can deal with trashy people, but I can't believe in this day and age people choose to eat such processed crap. On the other hand maybe all the preservatives will keep people alive. I am no hippy I just tend to worry about food that doesn't expire for years in the future. I will probably keel over one day due to my bacon and craft beer intake, but at least it will be fresh bacon and good beer that kills me. Really life is too short not to eat bacon and drink good beer.

the other day in our hood a mother yelled at her kids " shut your cu.t mouth " our neighbours are open like 7-11 to service the local crack crew ,used syringes and condoms are part of the flora and fauna ,best bit was when we found a pistol in a near-by hedge whilst walking the dog ! (albeit a replica ) .It's O.K. though cause if your having a bad hair day your still doing better than most.

Yeah honestly I can deal with trashy people, but I can't believe in this day and age people choose to eat such processed crap. On the other hand maybe all the preservatives will keep people alive. I am no hippy I just tend to worry about food that doesn't expire for years in the future. I will probably keel over one day due to my bacon and craft beer intake, but at least it will be fresh bacon and good beer that kills me. Really life is too short not to eat bacon and drink good beer.

Homie don't play that processed crap,mainly we eat Halal chicken to the tune of 5 kg a week and beer tonite lol

Thought I would of course mention the gun thing.

I had a customer come into my eatery, a dentist, and when he was paying, he started to empty his pockets looking for some change and happened to pull out a small semi-automatic handgun and casually laid it on the counter and kept on looking for a few cents.

A couple of weeks later, same dentist, invited me out of my store to take a look at something in his trunk, which happened to be some kind of 'military-style' rifle.

The handgun spooked me, but thought the rifle was pretty bad ass, actually.

Did I mention the guy is a dentist?

Nominated for the best post on the board.

Thought I would of course mention the gun thing.

I had a customer come into my eatery, a dentist, and when he was paying, he started to empty his pockets looking for some change and happened to pull out a small semi-automatic handgun and casually laid it on the counter and kept on looking for a few cents.

A couple of weeks later, same dentist, invited me out of my store to take a look at something in his trunk, which happened to be some kind of 'military-style' rifle.

The handgun spooked me, but thought the rifle was pretty bad ass, actually.

Did I mention the guy is a dentist?

Epic.

• 2 months later...