What are American quirks?!?

Jaycel Adkins

One of the big differences I found when I moved from Toronto, Canada to Jacksonville, FL was the way men treated me. I'm talking about, random guy on the street who I don't know. In Toronto I have never had someone yell a sexual obscenity at me on the street, or on the bus. I never had a random guy at the bar in Canada think it was appropriate to touch me on the thigh or breast out of nowhere, like it was his right. In Jacksonville I've had all of that and much much worse. Miami was by far the worst place for it. A couple of examples. On the bus one day while minding my own business reading a book or whatever, this guy comes up to me and says "If I asked to see all your tattoos would you get naked right now?". Yeah dude, I'm gonna get naked on a bus. I was at a bar on New Year's Eve, this guy walks up to me says nothing and just sticks his band between my legs. Wow awesome dude, I guess you forgot that you personally know my fiancé and saw me with him 5 minutes ago. And even if you didn't, wtf bro? When is that ever acceptable? While waiting for the bus in Jacksonville (while wearing long pants and a tshirt) I've had a number of men drive around the block a few times trying to offer me money for "my services". Countless men yelling rude things out their car windows. Men who get actually angry with you when you say 'sorry I have a boyfriend already'. I was at the bar in Tampa with a female friend. We're at the rail ordering drinks, I feel someone grab onto and hold my hand, like in the boyfriend or BFF way, I assume it's my friend, then I look over and see she's on the other side of me. I turn around and it's some random dude. So I lean over to try and tell him that he's offended me, and why. He put his hand in my face, walked away angry, and then spent the rest of the night trying to show us what an awesome catch I'd missed by dancing like he was at a rave about 10 feet away from us.

Other big difference. Racism. The very first day I lived in the USA, I told someone I had just come from Canada. His reply: Do y'all got a lot of niggers up there?

Not saying there isn't racism in Canada, because there certainly is, it's just not as strong or as widespread. Not as accepted.

Oh and one more. The education system, specifically the public school system. Wow. I've already told my fiancé if we did ever have kids, we're moving back to Canada when they're ready to start school.

THANKS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!

p.s. I felt I needed to edit this to add that in regards to all the gross man behaviour. I do not in any way dress provocatively. Anyone here who knows me can verify this. I'm a real jeans and t-shirt kinda lady for the most part.

One of the big differences I found when I moved from Toronto, Canada to Jacksonville, FL was the way men treated me. I'm talking about, random guy on the street who I don't know. In Toronto I have never had someone yell a sexual obscenity at me on the street, or on the bus. I never had a random guy at the bar in Canada think it was appropriate to touch me on the thigh or breast out of nowhere, like it was his right. In Jacksonville I've had all of that and much much worse. Miami was by far the worst place for it. A couple of examples. On the bus one day while minding my own business reading a book or whatever, this guy comes up to me and says "If I asked to see all your tattoos would you get naked right now?". Yeah dude, I'm gonna get naked on a bus. I was at a bar on New Year's Eve, this guy walks up to me says nothing and just sticks his band between my legs. Wow awesome dude, I guess you forgot that you personally know my fiancé and saw me with him 5 minutes ago. And even if you didn't, wtf bro? When is that ever acceptable? While waiting for the bus in Jacksonville (while wearing long pants and a tshirt) I've had a number of men drive around the block a few times trying to offer me money for "my services". Countless men yelling rude things out their car windows. Men who get actually angry with you when you say 'sorry I have a boyfriend already'. I was at the bar in Tampa with a female friend. We're at the rail ordering drinks, I feel someone grab onto and hold my hand, like in the boyfriend or BFF way, I assume it's my friend, then I look over and see she's on the other side of me. I turn around and it's some random dude. So I lean over to try and tell him that he's offended me, and why. He put his hand in my face, walked away angry, and then spent the rest of the night trying to show us what an awesome catch I'd missed by dancing like he was at a rave about 10 feet away from us.

Other big difference. Racism. The very first day I lived in the USA, I told someone I had just come from Canada. His reply: Do y'all got a lot of niggers up there?

Not saying there isn't racism in Canada, because there certainly is, it's just not as strong or as widespread. Not as accepted.

Oh and one more. The education system, specifically the public school system. Wow. I've already told my fiancé if we did ever have kids, we're moving back to Canada when they're ready to start school.

THANKS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!

p.s. I felt I needed to edit this to add that in regards to all the gross man behaviour. I do not in any way dress provocatively. Anyone here who knows me can verify this. I'm a real jeans and t-shirt kinda lady for the most part.

Preach it! haha :D.

hahaha maybe I am O_o.

And when I put that cat picture up there...I was just kinda like alright cool, creepy,weird cat thing im going to use you.

And now that you mention that it makes you think im shocked every time I reply...makes me crack the hell up dude hahahaaha. Because I see how you see that. haha way to go for giving me a good laugh.

THANKS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!

First off I would like to offer some kind of apology as a US citizen for the craptastic behavior exhibited by some of the locals. I have yet to see anything like this in the area I live (NYC). We are just too damn cold here to even strike up conversation with each other. Hell outside of the random crazy/drunk person, I have heard but a whisper spoken to me anywhere. I know in the southern and rural areas, people tend to speak up a bit more often in my experience.

This did bring up a point I seemed to have forgotten though, and it is not personally aimed at you. As most people will know the US is a country of immigrants whether an immigrant themselves or a recent descendant of an immigrant. Something that comes up quite often with people who immigrate here is how much the US sucks and how much better home was... I just seem to notice this all the time and always wondered why people moved here if it is bad. I personally know that I am planning on leaving the country myself due to not agreeing with how stuff works around here all that much.

Doesn't mean to cause offense, but finds it rather perplexing to have a citizen of a country apologize on behalf of that country, or a member of culture offer up apologies about the actions of another member of that culture. If I was the receiver or over heard/saw rude behavior or even criminal behavior by someone of a particular race or class, I would hope I would be cosmopolitan enough to not hold it against a larger group.

For example, I don't hold ill thoughts/assumptions about the 'local' NYPD because of a series of shootings, beatings, pepper-spraying, & rape of innocent black immigrants; or protesting or intoxicated women.

Well...at least not much.

I'm just needling you all, not trying to start a tiff or anything! :rolleyes:

edit: unless it's not obvious, asshole misogynists are just that, regardless of country and region and ladies should be treated with respect, period.

Everyone should be treated with respect, not just ladies!

Haha thanks Slayer, but don't worry I don't hold those things against all Americans, just the ones who act like that. I'm sure the fact that I usually then tell that person what kind of an asshole they're being doesn't make it any better and usually just encourages them further. And yup, I've found the same thing in NYC, never had problems like that there, mostly a southern things, and really mostly a Florida thing 'cause I didn't have people treat me like that in Texas or the Carolinas. I believe that a lot of the problems in places like Florida stem from the poor education system there. Even in private school it can get pretty bad. I know a girl who said her school refused to teach evolution or sex-ed. I know that's pretty common but it's still totally fucked. I'm sure there's parts of Canada that are really shitty too, I just haven't had to live in them, so I don't know first hand. Apparently Vancouver is lousy with heroin and child prostitution. Fucking a little girl is a lot worse than cat calling at an adult.

I don't think America is horrible, or the worst place ever. I'm sure being in a third world country is way worse than the shittiest shit in America. There's lots of things I like about America too! Even if they don't approve of the way I say 'intestine' or 'cement'.

I have yet to see anything like this in the area I live (NYC).

Cause you're not a lady. It can be 20 degrees out, my wife still gets "cat called" bundled up in a coat and scarf when she's by herself or even when she's with another female. Funny thing about Americans, they come from all over and have different cultural backgrounds -- which is not to excuse hollerin' at ladies, that shit makes me nuts. So don't worry, Ursula, when you come to NY you'll catch plenty of the same shit you do in FL!

Per the schooling in Jacksonville. This is the high school I graduated from in Jacksonville:

Stanton College Preparatory School | Best High Schools | U.S. News

The private schools here are not akin to an Exeter, but more along the lines of religious conservatives. The high school I went to above is a public magnet school and we learned about evolution in AP Biology. :p

Everyone has a point of view that should be heard out; and it's cool to talk in a forum that allows opposing points of view to say their peace.

Cause you're not a lady. It can be 20 degrees out, my wife still gets "cat called" bundled up in a coat and scarf when she's by herself or even when she's with another female. Funny thing about Americans, they come from all over and have different cultural backgrounds -- which is not to excuse hollerin' at ladies, that shit makes me nuts. So don't worry, Ursula, when you come to NY you'll catch plenty of the same shit you do in FL!

Yea maybe nobody talks to me because I'm a metal head dude with a shaved head that apparently looks pissed off all the time (as my friends say). I did actually remeber my sister saying she got cat called when she lived in bed stuy, but never when I was around.

To me nyc just seems to be a bit 'colder' than other cities I've visited, save for the random homeless/gangster/drunk person.

Jaycel, I'm sure there are lots of good school in FL, the bad ones just outnumber them. In Jax specifically I'm thinking of the public elementary school in Springfield and Regency areas. Unfortunately it seems, the poorer you are there the better chance you'll be stuck in one of those awful schools that get no funding. In my opinion it's those students that need the funding and the better teachers more than the better off white kids who will have a much easier time at life because they came out white and not really poor. When I first got to FL I was shocked by how many spelling mistakes I'd see on signs. To me, the fact that you can not even spell what you are trying to sell me does not make me want to give you my money.

Gouge, I've been to NYC a few times. I was either with my boyfriend at that time, or traveling with a security guy (I used to be cool haha) so I guess that's why I never noticed it there.

Slayer, I too got away with the looking like a mean metal head type for a while but in the last 7-8 years that I've let my hair grow long and started wearing makeup and not men's xl band t-shirts, I've lost my scary edge :( I do keep my eyebrows with a high steep arch though, which I've been told by some makes me look mean. Maybe when I move back to Jacksonville I should get back into full face Marilyn Manson style makeup like back in my high school days. I bet dudes think that's real hot.

Yea maybe nobody talks to me because I'm a metal head dude with a shaved head that apparently looks pissed off all the time (as my friends say). I did actually remeber my sister saying she got cat called when she lived in bed stuy, but never when I was around.

To me nyc just seems to be a bit 'colder' than other cities I've visited, save for the random homeless/gangster/drunk person.

Haha, same here. But my wife has been called Mami a thousand times, and apparently they want to be her "Papi" just as much. She even had some dude on the 7 train, a few weeks ago, ask her to unzip her knee high boots so he could see her calves. She's a tough ole Brooklyn broad so she can (most of the time) take care of herself, but why should she have to?

She even had some dude on the 7 train, a few weeks ago, ask her to unzip her knee high boots so he could see her calves.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Whatever happened to "Hi I'm (insert random dude name), how are you" or "Hi I'm (again random dude name) may I buy you a drink?" or even just "Hi, I find you beautiful and wanted to let you know"

Instead we get "Hi I'm some random fucking weirdo who hasn't showered and smells like urine, may I see your calves?" and when we reply no it turns into "What you think you too fuckin good for this? You think you're better than me cause you pretty huh? Well fuck you lady you ain't that hot"

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Whatever happened to "Hi I'm (insert random dude name), how are you" or "Hi I'm (again random dude name) may I buy you a drink?" or even just "Hi, I find you beautiful and wanted to let you know"

Instead we get "Hi I'm some random fucking weirdo who hasn't showered and smells like urine, may I see your calves?" and when we reply no it turns into "What you think you too fuckin good for this? You think you're better than me cause you pretty huh? Well fuck you lady you ain't that hot"

So all potential Suitors in Canada are as polite as you have written???? I've only experienced the ski areas in Whistler and what I recall is a happy group that enjoys its alcohol. I don't recall all the chivalry (;