Tattoos behind the ear on women

hogg

My wife's theory is that this is the new "butterfly on the ankle." I'm starting to think she's onto something. I notice more and more women who don't seem to have any other tattoos, but have something small (like a star, fleur de lys, or little flower) behind the ear.

Can the pros among us confirm or deny her theory?

Bonus question: is the torch (like this one by Sarah Schor) becoming the new dagger? I'm not mad at the trend; I think they look great on the forearm or shin.

yeah, behind the ear has been popular for a while now. after the lower back was ruined by the fratboy "tramp stamp" bullshit, women moved on to the ribs and behind the ear.

the torch has been a popular icon for decades. it appears on many many flash sheets of all ages. and of course the owl trend is still going strong, as well as the old school phonograph.

I was at Read Street the other day and watched 4 ladies all get their first tattoos on their ribs!

Only two of the 4 actually came together! There does seem to be something going on with this BUT...I also

think it is wise for these young ladies to get something they can cover up with clothing if they so choose and it is sexy to see artwork when it is done well and the ladies wear a bikini! :)

I have a tattoo behind my one ear that I may have covered up even though it is a good solid tattoo!

It just doesn't blend in with everything I plan on doing on my neck so it may need to disappear!

I am also tired of having to bend my ear forward to show people the whole tattoo! lol

I do have very nicely done tattoos in each of my ears!

People will comment on the daisy and lady bug in my ears before they comment on anything else!

go figure!

I feel like this has been going strong for a while.. hell, my girlfriend has one. I've seen plenty of dudes with this, too, though most are either heavily tattooed or are the types with only the hand/forearm/neck trio.

In related news, I also have a torch tattoo on my shin. Happily, no owls, victrolas, diamonds or peacock feathers.

I know plenty of women in their early-mid 20's with those behind the ear tattoos (some with other tattoos, some without. almost all have not done the traditional working their way up to that spot though.) I don't think the behind the ear one is as prevalent as the tramp stamp may have been, but it's definitely getting there.

wrist, ribs, behind the ear, foot. that's all we do these days. mostly lettering or stars and symbols. i miss doing lower backs (i HATE the term "tramp stamp). at least they used to get actual tattoo designs, usually looked good, and paid well.

I agree Mario and the ladies I know that don't have them I try to encourage to get them! they are going to need to fill in that spot anyway and who really cares what people think???? Seems once you are a tattooed lady....people seem to think that anyway!

Katie Sellergren did my "tramp stamp" and quite comically it has the name of my two children and my Hubby's name it it!

I am quite the tramp....ha ha ha!

Bunny, I'm intrigued by your inside the ear tattoos, do tell. Or, could we see?

I can show you doll!

I also have green "vines" running down the outside edge/rim of my ear!

they all have held just as good as when they were put in too!

These photos are a few years old but they look just the same today

as they did in these two photos!

:)

l_da0c97370f3c1ead9ce8b1a23b8c0d31.jpg

l_8854c41276cb36762effad3704d6a3cc.jpg

Bunny, those are awesome!

I've also contemplated the behind the ear tattoo, though like Bunny, my fear of it clashing with whatever I end up putting on my neck later down the line has kept me from moving forward with it.

Personally, I'm not a fan of lower back tattoos, since they always seem like a waste of good real estate (that is if you're contemplating a full back piece I suppose), but I see Mario's point. Could you charge more for doing ribs? It seems like doing any sort of tattoo on a difficult area would be cause enough to up the price a bit.

I would suggest to wait to have anything done around your ear until you know

what you want to do with your neck provided you are a collector and want to

be heavily covered!

When i started getting tattooed that would have been a

spot you had to "earn" to be tattooed in by putting in hours of time getting tattooed

and by having a majority of your body tattooed!

Now it seems you can find an artist anywhere that will do anything....doesn't mean it is good

work....just means you can find someone to do it!

I just think, and it's my own opinion, that you should learn what it means to be a tattooed

person before you jump head first into the deep end of the pool (by getting a visible tattoo) and

not really knowing how to swim!

*Note*.........my first tattoo was a visible tattoo in a culture that was not as accepting of

tattoos as todays so......I speak from experience!

wrist, ribs, behind the ear, foot. that's all we do these days. mostly lettering or stars and symbols. i miss doing lower backs (i HATE the term "tramp stamp). at least they used to get actual tattoo designs, usually looked good, and paid well.

Fuck, I feel ya there, man. I'd much rather do a sweet lower back tattoo than sit hunched over feet doing stars and swirls all week.