Recommendations for tattoo removal in Southern California?

ian

I'm getting ready to have a consultation with a local dermatologist which is going to cost me $100 and if I decide to go with them that will go toward the first treatment. I'm a little worried though, the receptionist told me over the phone that the least she's seen someone spend is $250 and I'm sure that was a tiny tattoo... I'm looking to lighten my whole back :(

I'm willing to pay a little extra for a local convenience but at the same time, I don't want to be bent over on the price.

I'm in Santa Barbara but I'm willing to drive to LA if it's worth it. Any suggestions?

He Ian,from personal experience i would try to find a tattooer that is trained with laser removal,rather then a Doctor.I wen't to a Doctor in MD like 10yrs.ago for my first laser session,and he charged me 450.00 for a piece on the back of my forearm.The clinics wan't you to make like 8 appointments so they can gradually lighten the area.The last two times i wen't to a tattooer to get lasered,and it was a better,more affordable experience.

Karl@ Jinx Proof was the last guy i got lasered by.He does travel to conventions.He's a member on this site,so maybe you can get some more info from him.

thanks Joe, I did talk to Karl. He told me what he charges but unfortunately he's on the other side of the country. I'd go to him in a heartbeat if he was with in a few hours driving distance.

Ideally I'd like to find a tattooer that does it, I'm sure the cost would be less and the treatment more. I'm just not aware of any that are near by, that's what I'm hoping to find here...

Right on Joe, thanks for doing some homework :)

After a little research of my own I found out that in California you need to be a Doctor, Doctors assistant or a Nurse to perform procedures with a laser which explains why there's no tattooers or tattoo shops that offer removal.

I'll look into those links though, I appreciate it :D

I've talked to many places that offer laser removal by now.

Fade Fast in Dallas wanted $450 which would treat half the area at a time- decent price but half way across the country

Karl @ Jinxproof gave wanted $250 which would treat half the area at a time- excellent price but clear across the country

Dr. Ho was off his rocker and wanted $1000 which would treat 1/4 of the area at a time- $4k to treat the whole back?!?

With these prices all over the place I wasn't sure what to expect today at the local dermatologist. I was ready to do some serious reasoning with the Dr. about why he should give me a decent price and was pretty disappointed when the appointment conformation call lady told me that I'd be seeing the Nurse Practitioner and not the Dr.

Well, she turned out to be a super cool lady! She brought the Dr. in for a second opinion as not to charge to little and he told me that he charges an hourly rate of $600 and to treat half the area would take a half hour. I hoped that meant I'd pay $300 per session but the lowest he said he could do for a half hour of work is $400. Considering it's a 5 minute walk from my house I gladly accepted, my first appointment is on Thursday :D

I'll be sure to keep the progress updated in a new thread......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
I called some shops in LA,and the guy at Shamrock Social Club said IMG - Dr. Christopher Ho is the best.I called Brother Greg,and he said he uses a place in Costa Mesa called Laser Tattoo Removal & Tattoo Lightening in Southern California by Tat2BeGone

I realize this post is three years old...but I'm going to Dr. Ho next week and he came very highly recommend from some reputable artists. I'll be posting before and after pic, can't wait.

- - - Updated - - -

I called some shops in LA,and the guy at Shamrock Social Club said IMG - Dr. Christopher Ho is the best.I called Brother Greg,and he said he uses a place in Costa Mesa called Laser Tattoo Removal & Tattoo Lightening in Southern California by Tat2BeGone

I realize this post is three years old...but I'm going to Dr. Ho next week and he came very highly recommend from some reputable artists. I'll be posting before and after pic, can't wait.