Hey you guys, I'm not a tattooer, but I am married to an awfully opinionated one who really loves his job and wants to protect the trade. We're not here to open up discussions on peoples' finances, personal lives, or to educate people on how to become a tattooer. I think if someone wants to ask if/how much to tip their artist, they can ask their friends who've been tattooed, another artist, or even the shop helper. If someone wants to become a tattooer, they should probably stop talking and get drawing. We just want to support and promote tattooing in general with interesting stories of tattooing in the past, interviews with tattooers in the present, and remind people to brush their teeth before their appointment. As this is a really young site, you as the early users can help control the direction LST takes. Start some threads going in the direction that you'd like, whether it's about history or upcoming events or apprenticeship stories or restaurants or whatever, doesn't even need to be tattoo related. User shaneenholm is a great example of a user sharing some interesting tattoo related knowledge, and he certainly isn't giving any tech secrets away. Also, if anyone wants to contribute an article or interview with another tattooer, video or written, we would be thrilled to have it.

ok guys im going back and forth on this. first no one has done anything wrong yet . however we are on a slippery slop. what i don't want to have happen is open the tattooer only section and no one is on the rest of it. what MY intentions are in this is to take tattooing back from the douche bags like bob baxter who none of us would ever had heard of it wasn't for tattooing, then he throws it under the bus with published discussions on tattooings financial aspects. which in my world is no ones business but mine and my wifes. as for what people are tattooing with traditionally you get tattooed by them and look down. haha or buy a shit load of needles and when you don't like them give them to your co workers."i do this alot" 20 years and im still working it out.so what im looking for in this is a place for people to promote tattooing in a productive way that is positive towards tattooing. once again be patient and we will get a private part somehow in the mean time if you have touchy shit to talk about send it the person privately. thanks i hope this answers some stuff. i havent had much time to even get on the computer much. thanks scott

i think scott is right...if you do not want to discuss this stuff openly you can always pm or start a "group" on here...and set the permissions as you wish.

there is so much misinformation about tattoos (have you seen the crap out there) and this is a great opportunity to get your message out.

it is also a great way to network with other stellar artists, show off your work, hopefully gain a bigger following....

What I like about this site is it doesn't really have anything to do with the tech aspect of the trade. There are enough forums out there that have tons of tech info on it and still people can't figure it out. There isn't much new under the sun and some things are best learned in person.

• 1 year later...

It's true, the forum is for everyone, artists, collectors, and the curious/untattooed public seeking good information on tattooing and inspiration. We decided in the beginning to not exclude collectors from the discussions on tattooing, and that this wasn't the place to discuss techniques and trade secrets. However, you can PM anyone on the forum and discuss anything privately. It's discussed at length here and there in different threads, but summed up best here:

Tattoo Newbie Guidelines

It's not that it's a bad idea, it's just not appropriate for this forum. And thanks for signing up and welcome to LST!