Mixing styles/themes

cc13

As I mentioned in my earlier posts I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I'd like to get tattoo-wise in future (I currently have none) and am really the kind of guy who plans all his moves out in advance. I love japanese-style tattoos and have thought about a Japanese chest plate and half-3/4 sleeve. This would have no real meaning for me, I just love the art. I've also been thinking about stuff that would have more meaning for me and been thinking about maybe a portrait of my Grandmother, a rose for my Mum, and maybe other bits a pieces for other people etc. Being a bit of a symmetry freak I'd want the same coverage on the other arm. So... what I'm wondering is if the two different styles are going to look ok together, or if they'll clash really badly and just look wrong? Does anyone have any photo examples of where this kind of mix has worked successfully? Thanks!:)

As I mentioned in my earlier posts I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I'd like to get tattoo-wise in future (I currently have none) and am really the kind of guy who plans all his moves out in advance. I love japanese-style tattoos and have thought about a Japanese chest plate and half-3/4 sleeve. This would have no real meaning for me, I just love the art. I've also been thinking about stuff that would have more meaning for me and been thinking about maybe a portrait of my Grandmother, a rose for my Mum, and maybe other bits a pieces for other people etc. Being a bit of a symmetry freak I'd want the same coverage on the other arm. So... what I'm wondering is if the two different styles are going to look ok together, or if they'll clash really badly and just look wrong? Does anyone have any photo examples of where this kind of mix has worked successfully? Thanks!:)

I would concur with going with the full sleeve. I mean ultimately it's your body, but I rarely have seen someone get a half sleeve and not finish it and going full sleeve would mean you could go bigger on the main image and half one full sleeve, instead of two half sleeves. See how you feel after you get a few sessions and go from there. Maybe you will want to get other styles of tattoos, maybe you will want to continue with the japanese work. I just feel like I approached tattoos a lot differently before I had any and once I got a few I kind of saw what direction I wanted to go.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is a bit old now, but how do you guys feel about attempting to mix different styles into one sleeve? I have an idea in my head and when I picture it it doesn't look bad at all but I'm not sure if the end result would really be great- or all that feasible. My idea involves many styles, one part being photo realism, one part american traditional, one part neo-traditional, and one portrait. I am just recently starting to get really into tattoos (I have one and am getting my forearm done in a week), so if I sound completely stupid I apologize.

I have all different styles all mixed together on all different body parts!

Where ever something fit from a specific artist or where ever they wanted to place it is where it got tattooed on me! there are plenty of things you can do to fill in and tie it all together!

I personally like how my coverage has evolved over the years and with so many tattoos on me I have people crawling around on the floor half of the time trying to see all of them! It's not like you look at it and see one big scene or piece......it's like people look at it and see something new they didn't notice the last time they saw me! People who look at me all the time are always pointing to a tattoo I have had 10 years and asking if it is a new tattoo even though they had to have seen it before!

That's my take on this....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys just wondering what direction I should take with my torso.. I only have a traditional Japanese style rib piece at the moment (it's on my profile page) but not sure what to do next??

Most of my other tattoos are american traditional and was thinking of going with a Panther on my otherside and maybe a some sort of winged chest piece..

Or would I be better going with another Japanese style piece on my ribs?

That's the beauty of large scale work, Japanese and American Trad look so sweet side by side. I love that shit.

I've mixed styles and just tied everything together with solid Japanese background and I reckon it works fine.

A few different opinions here, but all sound advice regardless.

It comes down to what ya like and then how it's executed.

One thing but, you'll get no grief here for wanting to slam a panther rib town.

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

Cheers dude, found some other threads regarding this and your completely right Japanese & American trad looking sweet next to each other!

Pretty nervous about another rib tickler though haha!

That's the beauty of large scale work, Japanese and American Trad look so sweet side by side. I love that shit.

I've mixed styles and just tied everything together with solid Japanese background and I reckon it works fine.

A few different opinions here, but all sound advice regardless.

It comes down to what ya like and then how it's executed.

One thing but, you'll get no grief here for wanting to slam a panther rib town.

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

• 2 years later...

I think American and japenese are very interchangable besides the filling.. japenese is usually clouds our or dark (thick) lines and American traditional is little stars (minimal filling) meaning with American traditional you can use a few stencils.. jap means it's one and done on whatever body part. But that's the beauty with those traditionals... I believe you can make subtle changes.. but when it comes to realism or portraits... the line grows thin or non existent... honestly this thread answered a lot of questions for me. I wanted to keep it traditional.. both American and jap.. realism isn't for me... I believe you can mix styles but they must at least make sense... you don't want to have a marvel sleeve with a portrait of loved ones right under it. It's confusing on what you want to portray. Each limb can tell a story. But also, I want all my limbs to at least resemble the same story.. which is why I believe you should wait before you commit to a tattoo.. I had to laser and cover because I was excited as a young person.. now I know what I want and it tells a story over random encounters I had over spring break.. we all make mistakes. When it comes to tattoos, they are costly but not irreversible. Just gotta cough up the dough... make sure you know what you want, out of my 20's I finally know what I want my story to tell. Even though my story ain't over.. but it makes sense at least 

• 2 years later...