Traditional Japanese Style

I need some serious help with my next tattoo design, I'm looking to do a traditional japanese piece incorporating the koi in the first pick and the shadowing in the second. I am not an artist and I have no idea how to incorporate it all together, just for more information I'm looking to have it start at my side and go up my back. Ideas and help would be awesome. Thanks :cool:

I need some serious help with my next tattoo design, I'm looking to do a traditional japanese piece incorporating the koi in the first pick and the shadowing in the second. I am not an artist and I have no idea how to incorporate it all together, just for more information I'm looking to have it start at my side and go up my back. Ideas and help would be awesome. Thanks :cool:

I suggest going to shop and finding an artist whose work you like. They know what looks good and will put things where they need to go.

Yeah I will have to go to my artist, can anyone give any suggestions on elements I should add to it?

More importantly where are you going to get tattooed? Like the others say if you find good tattooer they can take care of the rest and the more freedom you give them, the better your tattoo will be.

Was going to suggest Flying Panther, but looks like as I was typing this Ian beat me to it. Here's another shop that does some good work.

http://www.avalontattootwo.com/

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everyone just wanted to show you guys my work in progess, I just got this done today and with a new tattoo artist (Moved to a different city) as you see its just the lining so far, but I think its starting to look really good. What do you guys think? :cool:

I think you should have taken @ian 's advice... I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or be a dick, but when you ask "what do you guys think?" on a tattoo forum I assume you want honest opinions be it positive or negative.

Hey everyone just wanted to show you guys my work in progess, I just got this done today and with a new tattoo artist (Moved to a different city) as you see its just the lining so far, but I think its starting to look really good. What do you guys think? :cool:

i would say if you really want it to be traditional japanese style work then take a look at Horiyoshi 111 just google his name and you will find his work , what the artist working on you now is doing is not traditional japanese style at all , but maybe if you show him what you would like it to look like he can make it a bit more traditional might be tough the way he laid it out and did the artwork but it can be made more traditional i feel , but do it before you get more work done to it so your artist will have a clear understanding of what you want it to look like maybe even look around for an artist in your area who does the style of work you were looking for ,

I started this tattoo my second day after my move just to start my move with sort of a bang and went to an artist that a few of my friends recommended, it is also no where near complete and I appreciate the comments, but I would like to see more visuals of what you would suggest I add. I'm more of a visual learner so those always help

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend some "new school" Japanese artists? I love traditional Japanese work but I also love more detailed stuff. I have both my feet done, one a Hanya and the other a Kapala skull. I had my artist do them in a more new school style and I love them.

The skull is not finished in this pic.

feet2.jpg

I am going to start my other leg soon and wanted to do a black/grey piece. I was thinking of doing a couple Foo Dog statues protecting a temple. I am having a hard time coming up with a good reference though. I thought if I could look through some similar tattoo's I could get some idea's.

Some tattooists should not attempt Japanese. I don't tattoo but I know it is the hardest (arguably) style to master and when its done right it looks amazing, when its done wrong it looks damn awful.

Yes. And when you are talking about Traditional Japanese, you have to take in consideration all the seasons, different elements, Images, religions, Ukiyo-e, beliefs, etc etc. And how to mix them and what not to mix.

• 2 months later...
Can anyone recommend some "new school" Japanese artists? I love traditional Japanese work but I also love more detailed stuff. I have both my feet done, one a Hanya and the other a Kapala skull. I had my artist do them in a more new school style and I love them.

The skull is not finished in this pic.

feet2.jpg

I am going to start my other leg soon and wanted to do a black/grey piece. I was thinking of doing a couple Foo Dog statues protecting a temple. I am having a hard time coming up with a good reference though. I thought if I could look through some similar tattoo's I could get some idea's.

You could probably ask your artist for ideas. But my favorite Neo-Japanese artists are:

Filip Leu

Shige

Horiyen Jess

Kore Flatmo

Jeff Gogue

Kurt Wiscombe

...and a bunch of good ones in Asia...