best shops???

tat2tony

ok, just for fun: I'm mostly talking quality of tattoos being put out, but I suppose we can also consider art collections, amenities etc. I'm gonna start out with some of my favorites from the US only. (I wouldn't even know where to begin if including shops beyond)

Black Heart (not just because this is Scott's forum either)

King's Ave

Smith St

Slave to the Needle

Immaculate

I think the question is what defines the best shop for a person. Judging a shop is different that judging the tattooers that work there. Like Shannon I would say the shop I work at in my mind is the best shop. But that is only because all of us our like minded in our approach and expectations of a tattoo shop. I like a shop that specializes in traditional,but can full off basically any style, that is fun to hang out in, and relatively accessible to get tattooed. I don't expect to necessarily walk in and get tattooed on the spot but it nice to be able to get tattooed within a reasonable time. I would say my three favorite shops to get tattooed in Portland are Imperial Tattoo, Deluxe Tattoo, and Acme Tattoo. If you asked me who had the most talented artists I would say Atlas Tattoo, Artwork Rebels, possibly Mr Tattoo because their lineup seems to be ever changing, but every big name tattooer mentions that shop to guest spot in. But ultimately my opinion is only as good as the amount of shops I have visited so I guess the only solution is to visit more

My favorite tattoo shop to get tattooed by on the road is Chicago Tattoo Company. I have yet to visit Smith Street and many other shops that I am sure I would enjoy as well. Ultimately my opinion is only as good as the amount of shops I have visited so I guess the only solution is to visit more

How about Mike Perfettos in Bensonhurst, Goldfields in SF, Kadillac Tattoo in Philadelphia, Crazy Eddies in Philadelphia, Tattoo Peters in Amsterdam, all great shops that have been around a long time and are crammed with tattoo history. R and D tattoo in Queens is floor to ceiling with hand painted NY style flash. These shops have been worked and are steeped in tattoo mojo.

On a Monday Shamrock in Hollywood has Mark Mahoney, Freddy Negrete and Rick Walters, thats over 100 years of tattooing there and its a great lookin shop.

Spotlight in Hollywood is another great shop with real character and a waiting room with 4 walls of hand painted Bob Roberts flash.

Bert Grimms on the Pike R.I.P. was the benchmark for all tattoo shops and when I went in there I knew there was no way I was leavin without gettin tattooed.

I'm really digging Virtue Tattoo in Houston, TX right now, great set up, great art, great artists. Owned by Lana Gooding previously of Taylor Street Tattoo in Chicago. I had a Sailor Jerry Eagle done at virtue a couple of months ago, going to get a panther head and an anchor there in January.

If you are in Houston check it out.