The Swastika symbol in tattoos

Iwar

art_img_131.jpg

Heres one I found on the Cat Claw Tattoo web site.

Pretty awesome IMO, a funny take on an old stand-by. Although personally "funny" tattoos aren't for me, but I'm glad this is on somebody.

Kinda blatant spot though, but now that I think about it, one of my best friends has a tattoo with swastika incorporated in it right in his elbow ditch. His swasi is even bigger too. Its some old sailor/naval flash if I remember correctly, with a wish bone and some other good luck charm-type-stuff involved.

He doesn't get much flack for it as far as I know, but I guess he can intimidate some people, mostly because hes pretty well covered in tattoos.

Blah blah blah

Now I feel like I've aired out my buddys business. Oh well.

Blah blah blah

Oh yeah,

The above tattoo was done by Hiro.

Hiro is the man. I'm pretty interested in finding out the back story to this so I'll ask and share any findings ;)

One thing to remember though (especially in this instance) that in Japan the swastika doesn't have the same negative connotations that it does in the west, so the above tattoo is probably just for luck and not to incite anyone. Either way, I sure as hell intend to find out lol

I got a symbol on my wrist from Jondix's book, 108 Marks, that includes two opposing swastikas. I get a few looks from people who notice it, but it's mostly confusion since I'm Filipino. No one ever asks about it.

Does anyone watch the show Ancient Aliens? It's interesting to think about how such a symbol could have been so widespread in ancient times. To me, the swastika looks like the shape of space... universes and galaxies.

excellent, never really believed in aliens,but like the idea. yes, everything is interconnected. '' aaaaahhhhh'' -Allen Ginsberg , not something I read, but from a personal conversation.

I got a symbol on my wrist from Jondix's book, 108 Marks, that includes two opposing swastikas. I get a few looks from people who notice it, but it's mostly confusion since I'm Filipino. No one ever asks about it.

Does anyone watch the show Ancient Aliens? It's interesting to think about how such a symbol could have been so widespread in ancient times. To me, the swastika looks like the shape of space... universes and galaxies.

• 3 weeks later...

First things first.

14/88

The 14 Words. "We must secure the existence of our People, and a future for White children."

As another poster noted, the 88 refers to HH, or "Heil Hitler".

While the Hakenkreuz is all of the things talked about here, ancient symbol of the Aryans, Buddhists, Amerinds, et al, as well as the symbol fo the NSDAP, it has also been used in reaction to racist imagery created by Blacks and Latinos and directed against Whites.

For instance, it is racist to have the Hakenkreuz (Swastika) tattooed on you. IT is NOT racist to have the Master, or a Cholo tattoed on you, or even a "Viva la Raza" tattoo if you are Latino. It is NOT racist to have the clenched fist tattooed on you if you are Black, or to have "Black Power", or the "African flag" tattooed on you.

Bullshit.

Everyone in the world is racist to some extent, and everyone SHOULD be proud of their heritage.

The avatar on my account here is a pic of a shield-decoration excavated in what is now northern Germany, and dating from about 900 A.D. Is it racist? Guess I'm in trouble if it is, cause I've got it tattooed on my shoulder.

As a guest in Cook County Jail in 1973, I got so damn pissed off about Whites being jacked-around by Blacks who accused them of being racist as they were mobbing them ten on one, that I tattooed the Hakenkreuz on one knee and the Iron Cross on the other. Since we wore knee-length cutoffs, they were real visible. Anytime anyone asked, I told them it stood for White Pride and White Power.

Funny thing is, the Black guys I was locked-down with understood that, and they were good with it. I have had a few scraps over the years, but I've found that it's more the self-hating Whites that get lathered about that crap than the Blacks.

Am I a racist? No. It's ridiculous to hate someone simply because of the color of their skin. I judge everyone by their actions.

Am I proud of being White? Hell yes. Why shouldn't I be? Let's face it, kids...Whites are the minority. The population of the world is about 9% White, and falling.

Conclusions? Well, if someone feels strongly enough about his beliefs, whatever they are, to tattoo a symbol that many find hateful on himself, then good on him. We should ALL have that kind of force of conviction.

no attack meant here, so please don't read this in that way. i understand everyone's point of view is different, as are everyone's experiences, but i've never understood being proud of one's heritage in that fashion. research and knowledge of it is one thing, but why be proud of anything you have no control over. i'm not proud to be ginger, have ten fingers, or to have astigmatism, so why should i be proud of whatever color my skin is? i'm proud of the things i've worked hard for in my life, the things that i had control over. things that weren't determined by a genetic happenstance. is there a double standard about it in the world? yes. but if that's going to change, aggressive acceptance of one side of said double standard probably won't be the way. mind you, at this rate, we may never reach a "we're all humans, who cares about race, creed, color, or religion... let's party!" stage, but i guess we can hope.

and actually, slight retraction... after the years in metal shops and wood shops making sculptures with bandsaws and grinders whirring away and liquid metal being poured around me frequently (and occasionally popping out of wet molds and showering me and my compatriots), i guess i am somewhat proud to still have all ten fingers.

I kinda doubt we'll EVER reach that "one race" stage, but hey, if we do, all the better. what I meant by being proud of your heritage isn't so much about being proud of your skin collor, or your hair color, or how many fingers you've managed to retain "(congrats, tho'!) as it is about being proud of who you are, where you come from, the whole drill.

I'm proud of my families history, proud of my peoples history, and I guess I would be whether they were White, Black, or Purple!

Mind you, note that I said I'm proud of my, etc., not "I hate these other poeple". Totally different thing.

i always figured racism begins when hate is inserted into the mix. and yes, there is a double standard, but alot of that is due to the people who grew famous using the phrases. black power/pride is generally associated with a generation of people saying "we'd like to vote and use water fountains freely." white power/pride is generally associated with hateful kooks. just like the swastika (and the original salute concieved for the American Pledge of Allegiance), some people ruin it for the well intentioned.

Bro, I ain't here to argify politrix, so I'ma just go with this last thought...

Who defines what racism is?

Viva la Raza...Latino Pride, a good thing.

Black Power...Black Pride, a good thing.

White Pride...oh man, EVIL RACISM!!!

Its more about self determination and equality tho ?? Look at history and tell me how often in the past that other "races" (i hate that term too...) have been treated equally by imperialist white masters for fucks sake , you still had segregation in the US within the last 50 years !!! So why the fuck are you complaining about the "pride" thing ???? Your posts are nonsense you cant justify anything by saying "Everyone in the world is racist to some extent" you want some dip to go with that chip on your shoulder ?

Its more about self determination and equality tho ?? Look at history and tell me how often in the past that other "races" (i hate that term too...) have been treated equally by imperialist white masters for fucks sake , you still had segregation in the US within the last 50 years !!! So why the fuck are you complaining about the "pride" thing ???? Your posts are nonsense you cant justify anything by saying "Everyone in the world is racist to some extent" you want some dip to go with that chip on your shoulder ?

And there's segregation all over the world. Go to Asia, hell, just go on down into Mexico. I isn't something those "evil white masters" invented.

But hey, whatever you want to believe. As I said, I'm not her to argue it.

Well....I grew up in a white, working class (mostly poor white) area.....and had a pachuco cross tattooed on my left index finger when I was 15 with needle & thread.....and it has been pretty fun over the last 30 years to here what different people thought it stood for! It even prevented me from moving into a management position 20 years ago....ha ha ha

People are silly....they think they know you by what you have tattooed on you!

If I was in the russian mob or yakuza.....I would totally understand!

But I am a white girl from Maryland....lmao

Well....I grew up in a white, working class (mostly poor white) area.....and had a pachuco cross tattooed on my left index finger when I was 15 with needle & thread.....and it has been pretty fun over the last 30 years to here what different people thought it stood for!

Damn...haven't even heard it CALLED a PAchuco cross in more than a few years! How many dots? I had one myself, it got lost in the mix somewhere, covered many moons ago.

I have three dots on my finger!

It is partially covered up by my knuckle tattoos but it couldn't fully be covered and I didn't want it to be fully covered!

I also just added a much larger one on my right forearm as Dave Kruseman is using it as part of his logo for his new shop (Olde Line Tattoo) and anyone that is part of that "family" is being "given" them!

Look at the "I" you can still see it!

47271_153213444705473_100000504550435_398172_943387_n.jpg

Very kool. Don't know what it meant for you, but around here, from way back when, the cross with two dots, or lines, between the crossbar and the top of the upright, meant you smoked dope. It could also mean, at least in Chicago, that you "rode under the two", a gang thang. Three dots, or lines, was a later invention, and meant you "rode under the three"...only ever saw bangers with that version, but hey-I know it's different all over!

The other day I came across this piece by Chad Koeplinger

206984_10150166078463724_813288723_6479154_2024601_n.jpg

And it got me thinking...

I´ve seen quite a few tattoos done by respected artists with the swastika symbol incorporated in it. I assume that the majority of the members of this board already know that different variations of this symbol has been present for thousands of years before it was adopted by the nazi party in the 1920`s, but for most people today it is commonly assosiated with some form of white supremacism. Atleast in the Western part of the world.

I´m sure none of the tattoos I just referred to was done with that ideoligy behind it, but almost anyone who sees a tattoo like that will immediately draw that conclusion. It makes me wonder why anyone wants it tattooed at all (even if it is a different variation of it and for completely different reasons).

In the bonus episode of Tattoo Age Freddy Corbin mentioned that not even the Indian people would want the swastika symbol tattooed on them, despite it being represented throughout their religious artwork.

I believe the swastika in the Koeplinger tattoo is the buddhist variation, but please correct me if I`m wrong.

(I´ve considered back and forth on whether or not to post this thread as I don´t want to offend anyone or start an unhealthy discussion. I´ll leave it up to @dari , @hogg , @steve1461686340 and the other moderators to decide it´s worth a shot.)

I love that Koeplinger tattoo. It was originally a symbol of peace but the Nazi's stole it and tarnished it. Even though it is viewed negatively now I wouldn't mind getting a tattoo with it, but I would be hesitant about getting it done in a visible location (ex: forearms). Uzi does some really cool flash with swastikas in them. Wouldn't mind getting one from him.

beautiful,......GTC's ol lady ,Olivia, a very conservative, christian woman has three dots on her cheek,from her yrs in downtown LA.Odelay vata! ya gotta love her.she could never stand obseneties in the shop, she'd give you the meanest look if you said ''damn'' or anything.

I have three dots on my finger!

It is partially covered up by my knuckle tattoos but it couldn't fully be covered and I didn't want it to be fully covered!

I also just added a much larger one on my right forearm as Dave Kruseman is using it as part of his logo for his new shop (Olde Line Tattoo) and anyone that is part of that "family" is being "given" them!

Look at the "I" you can still see it!

47271_153213444705473_100000504550435_398172_943387_n.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
well i am 100 percent sure, the only people i have ever seen wearing swastika symbol's had shaved heads, and black boots, with red laces. ss bolts on the neck, here is white supremacy groups.

Let's see...Arizona, that's 81-go tell them that.

well i am 100 percent sure, the only people i have ever seen wearing swastika symbol's had shaved heads, and black boots, with red laces. ss bolts on the neck, here is white supremacy groups.

Regardless of your opinion on the whole "can it/should it be reclaimed?" conversation, this is a pretty ignorant viewpoint to hold in the tattoo community. I can think of at least 3 tattooers that I know with swastika tattoos who are most definitely not white supremacists.

I don't think that "hippie" is gonna the first word to come to most people's minds when they see a swastika. Otherwise, I agree with your point.
My boss, Paul Hayden, told me that when he was a guest artist in Germany, he was told that they would actually arrest someone if they didn't have any swastika, or any other resemblance to Nazism, tattoos covered. I don't know the merit in that but that's just what i heard from him.

I was on the beach a few months back and my wife points out these very heavily inked guys to me... no sun tans on them, but definitely jailhouse ink galore. One has this swastika on his lower back in negative space.... not a cool thing to be flashing in public. Well done though, if it was a prison tattoo.

Rob