The Swastika symbol in tattoos

Iwar

I think, living in the southwest, we actually have a decent understanding, as the swastika is a native symbol. The college in my city used to use the swastika as its symbol. my dad's house up in denver actually has a swastika built into the brick outside on the fireplace (pre world war II construction).

I think with a symbol like that you take it on a case by case basis. If someone wants to put themselves out to be judged by others, more power to them (unless they are a nazi piece of shit. then they can just go fuck themselves.... but I think those that subscribe to that kind of a doctrine of hate are pretty easy to pick out of a crowd). After all, being tattooed used to be controversial all on its own. People already assumed things about you, just because you had A tattoo.

@Kev, interesting point about runes. I saw a guy on the bus a while back who had very freshly tattooed runes on his knuckles, some other black and gray stuff on his hands, and a big celtic choker tattooed around his neck. My assumption was that he probably also had "1488" tattooed on him somewhere, but maybe I'm wrong.

Images are a language; in our subculture, we've adopted this language and some us understand what those images mean on a lot of different levels. I think we also understand how those images can be interpreted by people outside our subculture. I'm reminded of the scene in "Eastern Promises" where Viggo Mortensen has to address the Mafya bosses in just his boxers, so they can 'read' him. Sort of O/T, but cool bonus segment from the DVD:

I could take my bus stop analogy to Japan and our western styled tattoos would mean nothing but Gaijin tourists, but a sliver of color peeking out from the cuff of well-dressed Japanese "business" man would worry them more.

I don't have time to read this whole thread, although I am glad that it's been brought up on LST.

My two cents: I 100% understand that symbol was around and used in several cultures long way before that delusional psychopathic meth head chose it to represent himself and the drugged up soldiers fighting his Blitzkrieg. I understand that it has a powerful meaning, completely unrelated to death squads, extermination camps, gas chambers, mass graves or burning emaciated bodies, but that's what it means to me. No matter how nice the tattoo or painting, even when I want to see past it, it's there for me. Jondix had drawn some beautiful designs incorporation the symbol for my husband, who had the courtesy to ask first, and I had to say no, too much baggage for me. But if it means something completely different for you, go for it. I don't care what the rest of you do with your bodies, but I just can't have it in my own house.

Yea I think it'd be hard for me wear that even knowing it may hold a different meaning, the general public probably wouldn't care to find out that meaning. Kind of similar for me would be satanic images or something. As much as I like the imagery and everything, it's not something I want to have to explain. But that's just me

Okay, I asked my Japanese wife what she though about a swastika and her reaction was "temple"... as in a Buddhist Temple. After I showed her the painting Jinxproof has and she said kiss (rock band). I then asked her if she had any connection between the swastika and Nazi's, nope.

Could just be that she is ignorant of the past 80 years or that in the east the hooked cross stands for something different.

Okay, I asked my Japanese wife what she though about a swastika and her reaction was "temple"... as in a Buddhist Temple. After I showed her the painting Jinxproof has and she said kiss (rock band). I then asked her if she had any connection between the swastika and Nazi's, nope.

Could just be that she is ignorant of the past 80 years or that in the east the hooked cross stands for something different.

the japanese weren't at war with the nazi's so that could be part of it.

i do notice that the iron cross doesn't hold the same level of taboo with it so the german's didn't ruin all the sacred symbols

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/swastika-town_s.jpg file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/coke.jpg file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/edmonton_swastikas_s.jpg

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/coins_01.jpg file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/postcard_02_s.jpg

not trying to stir any more shit but this are some of the links that will show,that even in the west in the beginning of the century,the swastika was a symbol of good luck,from cities names,to coca cola used,i do understand that its offensive for some in advance i apologise,i have some tattooed on me,the nazi campaign did quite allot to harm the image of the swastika has a peace and good luck symbol,but that is all it is,people should be actually be looking to the colours used by the nazi,has artists we all know what colour can do,with the red has a deep background white circle and black line,even a good old smiley looks menacing!!!!they played us all!!!!to bad they chose a very old and beautiful symbol!!!peace to all the tribes!!!

people should be actually be looking to the colours used by the nazi,has artists we all know what colour can do,with the red has a deep background white circle and black line,even a good old smiley looks menacing

Colors have absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about, and has nothing to do with racism or otherwise. Nazis were not the first to pick those colors, they are bold and eye-catching. Just look at any ads, street signage, or even the Coca-Cola company you mentioned.

The colours of the Nazi flag are symbolic and very much part of the whole thing - from wiki - " Nazi propaganda clarified the symbolism of the flag: the red colour stood for the social, white for the movement's national thinking and the swastika for the victory of the Aryan peoples over the Jewry"

Yea I think it'd be hard for me wear that even knowing it may hold a different meaning, the general public probably wouldn't care to find out that meaning. Kind of similar for me would be satanic images or something. As much as I like the imagery and everything, it's not something I want to have to explain. But that's just me

As Simone who has some "satanic imagery" I agree. Kinda wish I could move the tattoo but oh well. While to me my tattoo is a montage of dantes inferno by gustave dore, an excellent combo of liturature and art but the general public sees Satan dude. Having a swastika tattoo is like having a devil tattoo on crack...almost anyone will say wtf!?!?

As Simone who has some "satanic imagery" I agree. Kinda wish I could move the tattoo but oh well. While to me my tattoo is a montage of dantes inferno by gustave dore, an excellent combo of liturature and art but the general public sees Satan dude. Having a swastika tattoo is like having a devil tattoo on crack...almost anyone will say wtf!?!?

Yea exactly. I think when people don't understand the meaning behind a tattoo, it works well for a conversation piece. I can't imagine that conversation going well over a swastika unless they were truly open-minded. I just wish random strangers would quit calling my poseidon tattoo "aw it's little mermaids dad!" -____-

I have Baphomet on my left hand. So unless I'm wearing gloves I pretty much always have to rock the 'uncomfortable looks/questions' risk every time I talk to people. A little kid asked me once if it was "The Devil". Instead of getting all wordy, I said "yeah, because the DEVIL IS COOOOL". He smiled, the little scamp. Even kids love the dark lord.

I have Baphomet on my left hand. So unless I'm wearing gloves I pretty much always have to rock the 'uncomfortable looks/questions' risk every time I talk to people. A little kid asked me once if it was "The Devil". Instead of getting all wordy, I said "yeah, because the DEVIL IS COOOOL". He smiled, the little scamp. Even kids love the dark lord.

That is epic! I found the wordy approach gets annoying after about the first 2 weeks of having such a tattoo (at least for me), after that I just say something similar. Thank god for winter!!!

Looks like Thomas Hooper has fallen afoul of some of the controversy around this symbol : Anyone else on his newsletter? He posted a picture of himself wearing a new t-shirt with the asian 'repeat pattern' described in this thread, and later sent out an apology message because he got complaints...