• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

There were multiple portfolios of rubbings and paintings to flip through as well that can't be shown here. Heart-stoppers, seriously.

Same with some of the (quite unexpected & a real treat!) landscapes. I picked one up of his view of the Huddon River valley and mountains beyond, but it was a tough choice. There were others that had such powerful bold strokes it made me have to stop for minutes. Sometimes the simple things can be the strongest.

Not sure if the other people attending knew that almost everything had paintings and drawings on the backs. You have to lift the boxes to look at the back of them, and the wooden flash as well. Hands-on interaction.

Also not shown is the fruit crate box full of the wooden flash (not for sale unfortunately) to flip through. Anyone that didnt see those really slept on some gems. Maybe next time I'll have enough to make an offer on something that isn't for sale. For now I can be thrilled with the landscape and an eagle that I picked up.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of getting to speak briefly with Eric Inksmith (his father worked Jacksonville with Paul Rodgers under the "Inksmith and Rodgers" banner").

Called his shop a few weeks later and gave him the number of Mr. Larry Mora who makes his father's (Col. Todd) machines. Even the call was fun as one of the guys who worked in his shop had a bunch of pictures of a guy who worked on by Stoney when he was wintering in Tampa.

Paul Rodgers. There, I said it. But Paul Rodgers got his first tattoo on the John Robinson Circus from this man, Mr. Chet Cain. I can't say who did his work, or if it was hand poke or no. Although at least part of it may have been done by Gus Wagner. I'd almost bet my life, but then you'd think about it and see how cheap I am...

I can't find anything flash wise from Cain at all, so if any one has a dusty old flash sheet sitting in a cardboard box in the closet of their shop with his name on it, post it please.

Oh, Gus Wagner got struck by lightening while working on his roof. Hand of God? That's why I don't do roofing.0b94199dab419f0ec5d7de18e6808075.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

OH yeah, I forgot. Those shorts are made from a circus curtain. Many tattooers back in the good/bad/disease ridden carny days also were attractions. I've seen the cut down curtains on Ted Hamilton too, so I figure it was pretty common to add just a little more look to your act, even though now a days no one would blink an eye to a full shirt.