Religious tattoos...on the non-religious

slayer9019

Funny story about this...

I told this girl I know (not girlfriend) that I was thinking of getting a traditional Jesus head tattooed on my chest. She then goes on to tell me that it would be super awkward for any girl that I end having sex with, because when they look up they would see Jesus.

True story.

I told this girl I know (not girlfriend) that I was thinking of getting a traditional Jesus head tattooed on my chest. She then goes on to tell me that it would be super awkward for any girl that I end having sex with, because when they look up they would see Jesus.

True story.

That would put the scriptural idea of Jesus being the groom and his church being His bride in a whole different light.

True story.

I've thought the same thing. I think that would go for having a giant Bob Tyrell demon on your torso, too.

• 3 months later...

True story.

And here I was.. thinking I'd get a Jesus portrait at the top of my inner thigh. It's a perfect spot!

I'm ganna jump in this. I've had the same thought several times. I was raised a very devout Baptist and over the years I've back slid and aren't as "close to God" as i could be but after years of struggling with religious understanding, I came to believe that WHO/WHAT ever you believe in the good are rewarded with peace in the after life and the bad are not. Or nothing happens and in that case nothing we do matters any way. BUUUT to bring this back around away from my religious believes....ART is ART. Over the years sacred things become not so sacred. Its like that episode of South Park where Family Guy wants to show Mohammed and everyone freaks out. Everything is fair game or nothing is. And if getting Jesus or Buddha tattooed bc their pretty and represent peace and love and kindness then fine just don't act like it makes you better then everyone else......especially if you don't know anything about them but what everyone else does.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an good topic and interesting to see everyones takes on it.

I am not really concerned why people get what they want and belive that people should in fact get whatever image they want to put on them... on them.

But I happen to work whit a girl who states she is a non beliver and a witch.

She also has back full back piece in progress that consistis of a cross and angel wings and gets annoyed when people want to ask her about being christian.

Seems like if you have certian types of art you are going to open you self up to whatever kinds of pre conceved noitions the general public has that goes along with it.

I guess what I am saying is just don't be upset if some people just start assuming things about you when you choose to display these images.

Symbols and iconic images that are used and taken from history are always going to be used with a good or bad type of stigma. Its like the swastika. Most people know or are aware that it is originally a peace symbol. But thanks to Hitler it was used for manipulation like all religion is used in the end. But if I get a swastika tattoo I'm going to be seen as a racist Nazi even if its the correct version of the peace symbol. and not the straight one the Germans used.

I personally do not agree, or care for any organized religion at all. I respect everyone else's beliefs as long as they don't shove it down my throat but yeah, I love religious imagery. I reaaaaaaally want to get a rock of ages tattoo at some point. In my opinion getting a Jesus head tattoo is the same as getting a Devil head tattoo.. and I have 2 devil heads so far.

• 1 year later...

To revive this old threat on a good subject, I present the first ever picture on the internet of my Rock of Ages thigh piece

e7FgWKu.jpg

Done by Peter Lagergren in the spring of 2013. I like it a lot. Hope for the future of humanity and individual freedom lies in abandoning metaphysical dogmas and authority imposed superstitions. By doing so we can search for what is true.

This thread so far is quite an interesting read, it is, as already been said, very refreshing to see such respect for the artistic imagery that religions throughout time have brought us.

I used to feel, that even though I lean towards Buddhist teachings, if I were to get any of the imagery tattooed on me, I would want to do it right, to travel to places of strong Buddhist faith, visit some monks, and really have the experience to go along with the tattoo. I see now that I don't have to do so, but I have had apprehensions of cheapening someones devout faiths and whatnot. Basically, nobody wants to feel like a poser. But I have a much stronger respect for art, and powerful art it is.

But really, who hasn't gone into a church/temple/mosque and not shuddered at how fucking beautiful the architecture, art, sculpture, every image is. As someone who does not follow a faith devoutly or believe one should, if these images make you feel that way just by looking at them, being in their presence, they deserve to be tattooed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also...holy shit thanks for reviving this is beautiful.

To revive this old threat on a good subject, I present the first ever picture on the internet of my Rock of Ages thigh piece

e7FgWKu.jpg

Done by Peter Lagergren in the spring of 2013. I like it a lot. Hope for the future of humanity and individual freedom lies in abandoning metaphysical dogmas and authority imposed superstitions. By doing so we can search for what is true.

I'm into spiritual science, the occult, alchemy. I don't believe in religion by the book but a higher power. Whether people call it god, nature or the universe I don't care.

Most of my tattoos reflect my beliefs .

I do admire Christian iconography or religious buildings of all beliefs, but more in a gothy manner ^^. Churches are good places for creepy pictures.

I grew up in a country whose language, laws, system of government, architecture and God knows what else (see what I did there?) were forged on the anvil of Christianity. I'm atheist to my core but those Christian influences go to my core too. If everything else in my life is influenced by Christianity, why shouldn't my tattoos be? I can't imagine anyone would think me Christian just because I had a panther head wearing a crown of thorns on my arm any more than they'd think me Christian because I said "bless you" when they sneezed.

^Agreed!

Well, since I'm an idiot, and this is the correct thread... I'll ask a more specific question. It seems every one so far is referring to "imagery", but what are your thoughts on biblical text or passages? As an atheist, I view the bible as literature rather than a guideline for life (even though it has its share of positive models). Therefore, there is a lot of great writing. I wish I knew all the people that actually wrote the bible--sucks the prophets, god, etc. stole their credit... :)

"Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically."

I am a chaos magician/shamanist and I have Loki tattooed on my leg with a planned half sleeve of the Greek fates. I think a lot of imagery from the bible is really great, in metaphor and art history, but the context of these lies in text.

My favorite is jude 1:13 they are wild waves foaming at the mouthes, wandering stars for whom the blackest darkness has been reserved forever."

I have also thought about something like "even God had to rest on the seventh day."

Maybe even revelation 3:11 "with justice and judges he makes war."

Song of songs 1:2 "kiss me with kisses of the mouth, your love more delightful than wine."

I think getting a quote from the bible/relating to Christianity is cool even if you aren't christian. It has permeated cultures for thousands of years, been translated into thousands of languages, just because a use it is not your creed does not mean it has no value as instruction, history, or entertainment.

I think with quotation it might be slightly more context restrictive for the heathens though... for example, I wouldn't be getting john 3:16 "for God so loved the world..."

Or any of the verses more specifically deifying Jesus, or setting forth the tenants of the religion.

Personally I would find that disrespectful if it was not part of the individuals faith (at least at the time of the tattoo)

I think religious text is a wellspring of beautiful and meaningful quotes, but perhaps some prudence on how far we are willing to stretch for its beauty, but of course, as others have said, all of this is individual.

As a kid I was raised Catholic, and I always really loved the art and imagery long after I stopped attending church or really believing. I felt kind of weird getting an overtly Christian/Catholic image, despite my fondness for them.

Additionally, as a kid, baseball was a huge influence on my life. It was the first sport I really cared about and a way to spend time with my dad and brother.

What better way to combine my two than the Phillie Phanatic coupled with the virgin mary? Plus, the Phillies kind of always need a prayer.

Also, seeing @mmikaoj's ROA on the last page reminds me that a friend has a killer one with a Pennsylvania keystone rock instead of a cross from Justin Weatherholtz. It's pretty incredible. I'll see if I can snag a pic.

Grezphanatic.jpg.html

i dont believe in the supernatural aspect of religion such as demons or angels.. but i do like the darker imagery of demons or occult things.. though i'm debating it, i'm not sure if having something like that tattooed is really for me. I still love to see good black work or line work, demons, occult things..

It's interesting to read peoples reflections on the subject. Thanks for sharing!

Ever since I first understood that I was not a believer of christianity or any organized religion I'd come across so far, I've been interested in religion. Before that, before I conciously thought of myself as an atheist, I kept religions out of my view as I thought it was confusing to think about. But now it's really fascinating and I gladly read books about the teachings, the historical and social effects that they've had. (For example I recently read a book about very early christianity centered on the Gospel of Judas, while still having fresh in mind a thick book I read about secret societies, cults and doomsday prophets. That sparked some very interesting thoughts.)

What's the point of all this? For me, it's ok to have fascination and to find beauty in the metaphysical "realities" that are not your own. Christianity shaped so much of language, culture, art and history so of course even an atheist in sweden is going to "feel it". I have more mixed feelings about getting tattoos from other religions that you did not grow up in/spend a lot of time the context of if you are not a believer. I don't know why really, something to do with cultural appropriation and also the posibility of being called out as "a poser" or for not knowing what the image is well enough. At the same time I think you should get whatever you want if you like the image, as it is your body and nobody elses. If they have a problem, that's their problem. There are worse things. I have some tattoos that are from buddhist (tibetan) culture and I don't know "enought" about that. This also touches on if you are of the opinion that images and symbols have a objective meaning of their own that should be respected. I'm more of a subjective, relativistic, pluralistic type of thinker so I don't care. Confusion is good, it sparks creativity.

I plan to get a tattoo based on the biblical character of the "holy ghost". I never understood the trinity part I think and a holy ghost can have all sorts of looks. Like a reaper, but less dead and angry, with a some fancy staff and crown and blinged the fuck out in mystical ornaments. Also I might get a Jesus head tattoo because I always liked those. And Jesus was a dirty, anarchist-hippie peace activist.

i dont believe in the supernatural aspect of religion such as demons or angels.. but i do like the darker imagery of demons or occult things.. though i'm debating it, i'm not sure if having something like that tattooed is really for me. I still love to see good black work or line work, demons, occult things..

You should look into the occult then. There is lots of research regarding supernatural things, backed up by some scientific proof though I have to say what some refer to as a demon or spirit for example, to researchers is energy that can be measured using machinery, that can cause a tear in the matrix if someone dies a gruesome death for example...

So while I don't believe in classic Angels and Demons..it is interesting to read that unexplained phenomenons exist.