Religious tattoos...on the non-religious

slayer9019

This came up in the other thread http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-101/1728-tattoo-what-you-want-misleading-true-page2.html#post24847, people getting religious tattoos, while being a atheist.

I personally enjoy the strong emotions religious imagery stirs in people, whether they are a theist or atheist. What are your opinions?

I'm not sure I'd call myself an atheist, per see. I'm just not religious to any faith. That said, I'm leaning heavily toward a Rock of Ages back piece (with a twist) in 2012. I'll have the time and the money to do it right. That image just screams "TATTOO" louder to me than any other design I can think of. I figure if your gonna do a ROA, it ought to be a full back.

Depends, are we talking specifically Christian here ? I think Christian images are fair game because theres so much of it and a lot of it is very nice to look at indeed (tho kinda bored seeing st michael do his thing) . I would be very careful with other faiths tho just in case you did cause offence , especially when travelling . I dont know whats blasphemouse or not with other faiths. Religious images , satanic images and mythilogical images are all cool things to get tattooed imo but I would not want to offend anyone (except maybe the mormons or Jehovas that come to my heathen door and hassle me !)

There are some images that just make great tattoos. I think it's fine to have symbols of a faith that isn't your own, provided you're aware of how some people will react (like the implications for travelling mentioned above).

I'm not religious myself (but also wouldn't claim to be an atheist, agnostic is probably closer). I have no interest in getting anything Christian, but I find a lot of Hindu and Buddhist imagery appealing.

"Religious: : relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity" I think if someone is drawn to an image, there's something in it they relate to-whether it be through personal experience or cultural influence, or a combination of the two. I'm a baptized and confirmed (through the rite of confirmation) Catholic, but rarely go to church. Like I was telling someone the other day "People might see my bookshelf and think "That's a spiritual guy"; in reality, I'm just a guy trying to understand spirituality". I don't operate under the pretense that every person with a religious tattoo is spiritual or even trying to be.

I'm getting an overtly religious tattoo. People I know have been very funny about why I would do so as I'm definitely an atheist.

I don't need to believe in god to like the art (especially catholic and orthodox) and besides my atheism doesn't translate into anti-religious feelings. Therefore I don't feel uncomfortable with this at all.

Western society is full of Christian imagery and custom from hot cross buns to celebrating christmas and most of us engage with it on multiple level's taking on the aspect we identify with and ignoring the rest. I don't see the appreciation of the artistic side of religious art as being much different.

Also a large amount of religious art and custom's have roots that can be traced back even further to paganism or Judaism or before even all that ultimately (although I'm absolutely no expert).

For me things like the ROA or praying hands or Jesus portraits are things to be appreciated aesthetically and if people see more into it that's great for them.

Do people with Japanese art on them believe in that specific deity? I'm okay with people getting religious symbols on them depending on what it is. I know a professed Satan worshiper who has Jesus Christ on his neck. In that case I feel that it's out of place.

Do people with Japanese art on them believe in that specific deity? I'm okay with people getting religious symbols on them depending on what it is. I know a professed Satan worshiper who has Jesus Christ on his neck. In that case I feel that it's out of place.

I see what you mean, but at the same time, you can't believe in Satan if you don't believe in Jesus. He's part of the Christian story, right?

I was raised uber-Catholic, then became a lapsed Catholic, then hung out in the agnostic phase before finally admitting that I'm actually an atheist. Some brainwashing takes longer to get past than others. :) But I have a sacred heart and a Mary tattoo, and I'd still like a ROA and a curly-bearded Jesus tattoo at some point. The imagery is gorgeous, and when it comes to my personal tattoos, that's all I really care about.

Dang, I wish people weren't so afraid of the word atheist. There's a lot of respect for religion from the non-religious in this thread.

I think ROA and some variant of praying hands would be the only things I'd want tattooed because they're timeless. I do enjoy japanese deities and other spirits though.

A satan worshipper with jesus christ on his neck seems almost like a mockery, but then again it's possible he got it before he became a satanist or maybe he just likes the way that long haired dude looks

I see what you mean, but at the same time, you can't believe in Satan if you don't believe in Jesus. He's part of the Christian story, right?

I was raised uber-Catholic, then became a lapsed Catholic, then hung out in the agnostic phase before finally admitting that I'm actually an atheist. Some brainwashing takes longer to get past than others. :) But I have a sacred heart and a Mary tattoo, and I'd still like a ROA and a curly-bearded Jesus tattoo at some point. The imagery is gorgeous, and when it comes to my personal tattoos, that's all I really care about.

I don't think satanist operate under the same sense that christians do. They don't necessarily believe in satan or jesus, just what it stands for. They typically believe in themselves and embracing the animalistic urges of man while following some form of a moral code. Correct me if i'm wrong

I don't think satanist operate under the same sense that christians do. They don't necessarily believe in satan or jesus, just what it stands for. They typically believe in themselves and embracing the animalistic urges of man while following some form of a moral code. Correct me if i'm wrong

This depends if one is a theist or atheist "satanist". In terms of thiestic Satanism one worships demons usually based around the judeo-chritisan religions. Athiestic Satanism usually uses the symbolic demon to represent man's animalistic nature and moral values. So yea your pretty much correct. I would say that most athiests can find correlation with their ideals within the athiestic satanism when you remove the shock-value symbolism. I did a great deal of research in my personal quest to find a religion eventually bringing me to realize I'm just a plain old athiest.

This depends if one is a theist or atheist "satanist". In terms of thiestic Satanism one worships demons usually based around the judeo-chritisan religions. Athiestic Satanism usually uses the symbolic demon to represent man's animalistic nature and moral values. So yea your pretty much correct. I would say that most athiests can find correlation with their ideals within the athiestic satanism when you remove the shock-value symbolism. I did a great deal of research in my personal quest to find a religion eventually bringing me to realize I'm just a plain old athiest.

Yea that's the only reason I knew that much is because it kind of relates to my way of thinking, that I'm responsible for my failure and success and I shouldn't be guilt ridden for certain aspects of human nature.

Religion is fascinating.

I have a Christ Head,and a Mary tattoo i got around 10yrs.ago.But my belief's have changed somewhat.I just don't believe in a God that's in a place called Heaven.Or that there was a lady who gave birth to a son without sex.I heard somewhere that Christianity was a made up religion;and I'm starting to agree with that.After reading books like The Power of Now,and A New Earth,and some other spiritual books,i just don't know what to believe anymore.Now i wan't to get these tattoos lazered,and start over with some eastern religious imagery.

I was an athiest for 36 years and became a believer in Christianity about 9 years ago. I'm not a fundamentalist or anything. I think religious symbols make badass tattoos and I dont have any problem with who they are on. Personally, I can see a ROA in my future. Otherwise, I tend to like traditional stuff and americanized japanese stuff...I dont feel a need to have my religious beliefs represented on my body, however, like a lot of other people said, its powerful imagery and makes for some really sweet tattoos.

I have a Christ Head,and a Mary tattoo i got around 10yrs.ago.But my belief's have changed somewhat.I just don't believe in a God that's in a place called Heaven.Or that there was a lady who gave birth to a son without sex.I heard somewhere that Christianity was a made up religion;and I'm starting to agree with that.After reading books like The Power of Now,and A New Earth,and some other spiritual books,i just don't know what to believe anymore.Now i wan't to get these tattoos lazered,and start over with some eastern religious imagery.

Aw man, just wrote a whole long response and it got deleted! This is probably best for everyone.. Basically, get what you want, it's all the same story, religious imagery is usually prety rad, the bummer about Christianity is that they're still teaching the children's versions, so get a JC or Buddha or Vishnu or Baphomet and if people think that's all there is to you, then their loss. Also, @Joe Shit, sounds like you're having some success with reading. Last year or two I've been reading a bunch on.. various religious topics and, best case scenario, it'll explode your world in the best way possible.

While I sometimes disagree with some of his writing try "the God delusion". It is a nice breakdown of religions

@hogg just saw your post. Tell me what you think of it when your done. I got some other books to check out when your done with that

I'm reading another good book called ''Discover the Power Within You''by Eric Butterworth.I just find myself believing more about buddhism,then Christianity.It seems like Catholic church just wants your money,and they tell you your going to hell if you don't act a certain way.I think their full of shit.They still send my grandmother envelopes for donations,and she hasn't gone to church in years.My tattoos aren't bad,but it seems like my beliefs have changed,and might as well change the tattoos.