Religious tattoos...on the non-religious

slayer9019

Im not christian but I am strongly thinking of a rock of ages as well. I was going to go for just a slab of granite...no cross or anything just a hunk of rock. I think it would prob look a little less strange that way then if you changed up what the shape was. STILL your idea is cool and Id love to see an upside down cross rock of ages.

It's tough when there are basically two entirely different Gods in the bible..

The first commandent says: You shall have no other gods before Me.

It doesn't deny the existence of other gods; just that you can't put them before YHWH.

So I'm sure the creation stories had a little from Brahma, a little from Tiamat, etc.

Anyhoo.. got off topic for a bit.

I'm an atheist. I'm covered with religious work; Tibetan Buddhism, Satanism, Hindu, Christian, Hebrew, Christian Mysticism.... you name it.

I don't really think there's a conflict with religious imagery on a nonreligious person.

Sure, having Hindu gods on my neck has led to a lot of conversations about respect and culture (the best being a Hindu friend defending me to her daughter- "if you love Lord Krsna more than he does, why is he not on YOUR neck!". Gotta love my Pushpa Dashwani!) and the Baphomet on my hand has led to more than a few fun situations but by and large...

It's no different than having Peter Pan tattooed on you. Which I do. Hah.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm planning to have one in the future. And instead of having a woman cling on to it in desperation I want a woman climbing it and reaching for the skies, or for better days, if you like. I think Simon Erl would do a great job at it. Positive yet grim, is the feeling I'm after.

edit: oh this was a reply to CercleRouge who wrote:

"I like the idea of a Rock of Ages tattoo but with an upside down stone cross. Anyone seen one?"

• 8 months later...
I took a pic of a Japanese Version of the "ROA" it was a backpiece on one of the guys that works at Goodtime Charlies, in Anaheim, I can't remember who it was on, or who did it.. But it was badass... I saw this at the True Tattoo Grand Reopening while hiding out in the office avoiding the crowd.

Just saw this! That's on Stan Corona of GTC. I believe it was done by Horiken (not Yokohama Horiken of State of Grace, but Horiken of Tokyo, IIRC). As far as I know, he tattoos entirely by hand, including the outline.

a spin-off on the religious topic...what's up with all the upsidedown crosses on a lot of newer work/designs?

To get to this question nearly a year later.. Probably shock value. Ad not anything to do with St. Peter, who is said to have been crucified upside down. They're all over the Vatican. Kinda like all the burning church tattoos that were hot (heh) a couple years ago that seemed to be spawned by Uncle Allan. I doubt anyone was making a statement much more complex than taking a negative view of organized religion..

Also, this thread was fun to go back through! Thanks @Iwar for bumpin' it back up..

^Agreed!

Well, since I'm an idiot, and this is the correct thread... I'll ask a more specific question. It seems every one so far is referring to "imagery", but what are your thoughts on biblical text or passages? As an atheist, I view the bible as literature rather than a guideline for life (even though it has its share of positive models). Therefore, there is a lot of great writing. I wish I knew all the people that actually wrote the bible--sucks the prophets, god, etc. stole their credit... :)

Im not christian but I am strongly thinking of a rock of ages as well. I was going to go for just a slab of granite...no cross or anything just a hunk of rock. I think it would prob look a little less strange that way then if you changed up what the shape was. STILL your idea is cool and Id love to see an upside down cross rock of ages.

Funny thing @CultExciter I've totally back pedaled and going for just a classic Bert Grimm style roa.....fuck it why mess with the classics most original ideas either aren't or suck. Looking forward to getting it.

But I'm still not a Christian.

Funny thing @CultExciter I've totally back pedaled and going for just a classic Bert Grimm style roa.....fuck it why mess with the classics most original ideas either aren't or suck. Looking forward to getting it.

But I'm still not a Christian.

@eisen777 I went with the the Bert Grim Style I got as much for the patriotic elements that were in the original as the power of the rest of the imagery (just with prettier girls, guitars instead of harps, and SHARKS!)

That is such an amazing back piece.... the grey were like graphite powder blushed onto him... and the Black was so saturated and dark... AMAZING.

Just saw this! That's on Stan Corona of GTC. I believe it was done by Horiken (not Yokohama Horiken of State of Grace, but Horiken of Tokyo, IIRC). As far as I know, he tattoos entirely by hand, including the outline.

This is an good topic and interesting to see everyones takes on it.

I am not really concerned why people get what they want and belive that people should in fact get whatever image they want to put on them... on them.

But I happen to work whit a girl who states she is a non beliver and a witch.

She also has back full back piece in progress that consistis of a cross and angel wings and gets annoyed when people want to ask her about being christian.

Seems like if you have certian types of art you are going to open you self up to whatever kinds of pre conceved noitions the general public has that goes along with it.

I guess what I am saying is just don't be upset if some people just start assuming things about you when you choose to display these images.

I like this thread.

I'm not a hardcore Christian or Atheist. I just try to act right... Or maybe I'm too lazy make a commitment but I'm keepin' options open just in case!

But I've been thinkin' that a St Michael at the last judgement would make a hella' chest piece....

Some people like to fool around with varied iconography and the philosophical and mythological aspects behind those icons, it doesn't necessarily have to mean they profess belief in anything in particular. Sometimes it's simply an aesthetic appreciation for religious art and how powerful it really is. Keep in mind religious art is created either as an expression of love and passionate religious fervor, or as a propaganda tool (or both), so it's bound to be powerful and moving.

Also, people can also have rather unorthodox relations with particular deities or areas of faith. My girlfriend, for example, is not religious, but back where she is from (southern Spain) people tend to have a certain cultish devotion to certain catholic icons by themselves (pretty pagan if you ask me), and so she has a tattoo of the one virgin that her family 'roots' for.

I have religious tattoos, and I am an agnostic with strong atheistic leanings.

But what seems to me is that the meaning of tattoos seems like such a big deal nowadays. Almost like as if someone needed to explain why did they get every single piece they have, and if they fail they'll be seen as a frivolous person.

I believe that images have a power of their own, that cannot be properly put into words. This also happens with with tattooing, there are images that have been tattooed over and over again, which no one can properly pin down as to when did people start getting those tattoos and what do they mean. But they have such a visual impact that carry on it's wordless appeal and make people keep on getting them tattooed.

And with religious images I believe it's the same, even tho some images now have been associated with this or that specific religion, they have been around for aeons. There are crosses in a lot of religions, there are many cults to female deities virgin Mary like, there are many saviour like characters in several religions like Jesus and Gilgamesh, and so on. So getting a religious tattoo can be an identifier for some people, showing their devotion to a specific religion, but it can be so much more than that... particularly if it's done by a good artist.

It gets on my tits when people are more interested in the meaning of a specific tattoo, than in its wordless impact that goes well beyond meaning.

And sorry for being so pedantic...

Considering it's extremely personal anything one would choose to have tattooed on themselves....

But there's always that particular group that I find drains the true meaning of where these ancient symbols come from. This group I'm referring to are ones that partake in 'trends'.

I mean at the very least, it's respectful to research the core of these cultures and beliefs...

My favourite is seeing the Lotus flower... which is supposed to have profound meaning without explaining...but seems like no one knows anything about it anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

My tattoos all have a religious connotation so far. On my chest/lower neck I have the quote He Who Kneels Before God Can Stand Before Anyone. On my left chest plate I have the Ark of the Covenant. On my right one I have the Islamic crescent moon and star.

My first half-sleeve is a dual phoenixes. The phoenix on my inner arm is being dragged down to hell. The one on my outer arm is flying with a cross in one talon and a broken tombstone in the other. My lower portion of my arm has a coffin with a snake wrapped around it and the snake is holding an apple in its tail. Every single one of my tattoos is an allusion or homage to the Abrahamic traditions.

My story is when I turned 17/18 I found God and decided to turn my life around. Quit all the negative things I was into and joined the military. So I got the phoenix for rebirth. Soon after I converted to Islam and practiced Islam for years. Last year I became an atheist but I still love my ink!