Oliver Peck is one of the hosts and I guarantee he's not a corporate asshole just in it for the money. Go watch his interview and then come talk shit. I don't know anything about the show really, and I probably won't watch it as I don't watch t.v. at all really.

Also there's already a thread about this which I'm to lazy to find and post the link to.

Oliver told me in Richmond that he's in it for the money.

Hi. I'm Shawn and I ruin things.

I can speak from experience on this one. When I started getting tattooed by Chris Garver he had no wait list at all. He was very well known in the tattoo community, but not at all outside of it. He started Miami Ink about six months later, and that was the end of it. At the time Chris, Tim Hendricks, and Kat all worked at True Tattoo, and getting tattooed by them was easy. Actually getting tattooed by Tim wasn't that easy because he was always taking off somewhere to surf. He cancelled two appointments with me. One at True and one at Spotlight, and then he went down to Miami and that was the end of it.

I met Chris Garver when he was at Fun City.His work was excellent back then,but he wasn't well known to the masses.I walked into the shop one day,and it was just him in there.I wanted to get a cover-up from him,but wasn't into his idea,so i left.It sounds like you have a beef with Tim.I would be disappointed too,especially if he cancelled twice on me.I wanted to check out the shop he works at in NYC,so i went there a few weeks ago,and he was working.You can probably get in with him easier now,but will probably have to pay a lot more to.

So what if these guys get all famous and untouchable - theres plenty of good artists out there, you just gotta find them lol ...

This is a very true statement. There a a lot of very very talented artists that are not untouchable/famous. Hello I know NYC is right around the corner from me and there are a ton of amazing guys (some if not a lot are better than the tattoo tv stars of today)

I met Chris Garver when he was at Fun City.His work was excellent back then,but he wasn't well known to the masses.I walked into the shop one day,and it was just him in there.I wanted to get a cover-up from him,but wasn't into his idea,so i left.It sounds like you have a beef with Tim.I would be disappointed too,especially if he cancelled twice on me.I wanted to check out the shop he works at in NYC,so i went there a few weeks ago,and he was working.You can probably get in with him easier now,but will probably have to pay a lot more to.

I don't have a beef with Tim. He is probably one of the coolest dudes I have ever met. I only meant that he was always travelling around even before the television shows. The cancellations were not a big deal to me because I only lived a mile and a half from either shop. Of course I did not know at the time that it would probably be my last chance to get tattooed by him. Times were much simpler back then. Go into a shop leave a hundred bucks come back in a week and get tattooed.

yeah ursula that sucks. I was lucky enough to find this place when i was close to getting what would have been a subpar cover backpiece. It was here I learned about the different styles and artists which make me salivate today. 4 laser sessions and months later I am nearing a good starting point for talking with potential artists and Ideas. I dont know exactly what style I want(james briggs B&g or a sylvia or peck trad piece) but I am at least in a better spot to make a no loose decision. If someone sees this show becomes immersed in learning about quality work it can only help tattoists get respect they deserve as artists but me as a collector suffers with longer waits or possibly no openings because the masses become more educated. I guess its never a good time to be selfish. Ahh I am rambling now time to shut my pie hole

but this has me thinking peck for a piece

That back piece is GLORIOUS!

Oliver Peck has been at the top of my bucket list of tattoo artists for awhile now. Seeing that piece sealed the deal.

In my experience most of the "famous" tattooers I've met have been super nice people. Oliver, Tim, Scott, Rassier, Lehi, Juan, Darren Brass, Mike Wilson, I know there's more I can't remember at the moment, none of them were rude, or acted like a big man on campus when I met them. Oliver actually really surprised me by remembering who I was after meeting me once and not seeing me for a year or two after that. I am one of the many who has tattooer their initials onto his arm. He was super hospitable every time I've been to Dallas and has treated my fiancé (a tattooer) really really well and given him great opportunities to work at his shop. Tim was also super nice to me even though I unknowingly had creeped him out earlier haha. Mike Wilson has given more to me and my fiancé then we could ever thank him for. So basically I don't think getting even more crazy famous is going to make Oliver untouchable to those who really want to get tattooed, just might take a little longer.

In my experience most of the "famous" tattooers I've met have been super nice people. Oliver, Tim, Scott, Rassier, Lehi, Juan, Darren Brass, Mike Wilson, I know there's more I can't remember at the moment, none of them were rude, or acted like a big man on campus when I met them. Oliver actually really surprised me by remembering who I was after meeting me once and not seeing me for a year or two after that. I am one of the many who has tattooer their initials onto his arm. He was super hospitable every time I've been to Dallas and has treated my fiancé (a tattooer) really really well and given him great opportunities to work at his shop. Tim was also super nice to me even though I unknowingly had creeped him out earlier haha. Mike Wilson has given more to me and my fiancé then we could ever thank him for. So basically I don't think getting even more crazy famous is going to make Oliver untouchable to those who really want to get tattooed, just might take a little longer.

thats awesome to hear ursula, I wouldnt assume they were now bigshot attitudes just that the demand would be such that it would change the dynamics of what a shop tattooer is used too. Sounds like you have had some great experiences and some of the best tattoers put work. Your doing something right lol hope you have enough space to get everything you want

Here's my observation:

First: It's T.V. so surely it will be edited and somewhat scripted so that it will be appealing to many types of viewers.

Second: There will be valued members of the tattoo community as well as a few not so well known tattooers on the show.

Third: If you are looking for something to get out of the show other than what it is designed to be, I'm sure you will be disappointed.

So, if you decide to watch the show, great. If not, so be it. Nothing wrong with it either way. The simple fact that there are many tattoo related shows on T.V. now and then has the tattoo community and the general public frequently discussing the pro's and con's of both sides of this issue. So my take on this is as long as there is and interest, there will be shows and big business making money with advertising and such. So what. The B side is that it also generates exposure to our industry (good and bad) which generates more clients which in turn equals more money for us as tattooers. The traditions of our industry are being changed but not lost. If you stay true to your own personal beliefs and practices regarding our industry then you are doing your part to keep the values alive. Never let someone else change who you are. Be the best YOU can be and continue to grow everyday and better your craft and ability to provide a quality produst and good service and you yourself will succeed in what ever you do.

So in closing I believe there are valid points to both sides of the commercialized tattooing epidemic. I simply say use it to your advantage and move forward. No one is holding a gun to your head and saying watch the show or conform to the present depiction of our industry on T.V. I plan to start everyday the same. I wake up spend some time with my wife and kids and then head into the shop to paint, draw and do my best to improve my skills as a tattooer and learn a little more everyday. I can live with that.

So no matter which side you may be on, remember one thing, you have to give respect to get it.

Jay

i said something that relates to this in another post. so i def agree with you. i do think the shows are a bit on the stupid side but we gotta make the best of this. i plan to.

I wish networks would stop making these shows. They are either disrespectful to the tattoo community (Tattoo School), or they give people the wrong idea about getting work done (they walk into a shop wondering why they have to make an appointment to get a backpiece "It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to draw - that's how it is on tv").

Oliver Peck is one of the hosts and I guarantee he's not a corporate asshole just in it for the money. Go watch his interview and then come talk shit. I don't know anything about the show really, and I probably won't watch it as I don't watch t.v. at all really.

Also there's already a thread about this which I'm to lazy to find and post the link to.

So true! I watched all the vids. Oliver one is frikkin awesome The one that suprised me the most is Tim Hendricks, I really was diggin on how he went into the TV show and his feelings!!

i think a lot of this is funny... listening to people slam the tv show but not the people on it cause they are said friends with participants of the show. pick a side and stick to it. if you dont like the show then admitt said friends f*cked up and crossed the line by being on the show. you have to be willing to admit that or not talk at all about it. the shows are here to stay apparently so who cares. tv is shit anyhow, what makes anyone think this would be any different? honestly good for anyone who takes the corporate money from going on those shows. at least they deserve it. except navarro he should be ground down to small pieces

slam away

I will probably end up watching this show. As much as I despise the negative aspects of tattoo television shows, I still am curious about the tattoos and some of the people involved, namely Oliver Peck. I can push aside the bull shit and focus on the tattoos and people involved in these projects that I respect. Furthermore I think television can make anyone look like a dick. I watch reruns of Miami Ink sometimes and I actually enjoy watching Chris Garver tattoo and talk to clients. I never watched it when it came out, but I guess it's my guilty pleasure.