Stupid ways I have injured myself

RoryQ

About 5 weeks on, this is resolving itself slowly. Turns out I have a bulging disc at C6/C7, and it accounts for the symptoms. Probably someone cranking on my neck was the 'buckling' factor, but it's likely that it was able to happen because of general wear and tear over the years, probably some bad posture and probably a lot of 'chin poking' when I was doing things like pull-ups, shoulder presses and whatnot.

Anyway, got a pretty good physio and I'm doing a routine that will build stability (strength) in the c-spine area. I look like a mental patient, pushing against bands with my head in the gym, but hopefully it will do the trick. I will eventually have a neck worth of Internet 'big neck' pictures when this is all over. Looks like with a bit of careful rehab over the next few months I should be able to get back to mostly normal training, which means a whole new host of injuries in the coming years.

BTW if anyone does have a back problem, but more of a lower back issue, then one of the best books I read recently is Stuart McGill's 'Ultimate Upper Back Fitness and Performance'. He's a Canadian who consults with the NFL. The guy really knows his stuff. BackFitPro.com

I have a small scar under my right eye from the time I thought it would be funny to rub my socked feet on the carpet and then sneak up behind the cat. Cats have reaally quick reactions.

My fiance's cats decided to run across her face last night while she was laying on the couch with the flu-left a deep gash across her nose and on her lower eyelid. Seriously could've strangled them yesterday >= /

I have a small scar under my right eye from the time I thought it would be funny to rub my socked feet on the carpet and then sneak up behind the cat. Cats have reaally quick reactions.

One time, knowing that my cat was scared of the sound of the vacuum and that my partner was about to start vacuuming, I picked up my cat in an attempt to soothe him. I still have a pretty good size scar on my hand from that!

A couple of weeks ago I opened a gate the wrong direction. It swung back and hit me in the head. I had to get 3 stitches above my left eye!

• 1 month later...

I was an uninjured delicate little flower until I started playing roller derby. A few months into that I fell wrong during a contact drill and broke my wrist. I actually didn't notice and carried on with the practice, I regretted that the next day.

Literally two weeks after coming back to skating off the back of that injury, I took a crazy hard hit and landed square on my coccyx. Coccyx was bruised but I also managed to pinch my sciatic nerve at the same time. Again, didn't realise until a while later when I tried to get up out of a chair and fell right back down again. Now I have chronic back and leg pain. Still skating though!

I was an uninjured delicate little flower until I started playing roller derby. A few months into that I fell wrong during a contact drill and broke my wrist. I actually didn't notice and carried on with the practice, I regretted that the next day.

Few years ago, I went to a fresh meat intake. It was my first time ever on skates (had rollerbladed as a kid, but even then, that was at least 10 years ago). Went fine for half an hour without falling. Eventually went arse-up. From one fall, I fractured my ankle in two places and was apparently mm away from requiring surgery. Confirmed that me and sports definitely don't mix.

That has nothing on the time I went to sit on an armchair, missed, and fractured my arm. Definitely falls under the banner of "stupid".

wow, I think most injuries are by pure stupidity. I'm kind of clumsy. Hit my head on a bunch of stuff, and just today I sliced my finger open catching a falling frame which the glass broke on.... Also had a frame once fall off the wall and hit me hard in the back (as we were attempting to secure a table top into the wall...... Took a nice scoop out of a finger sweeping my floor once......

the worst two were:

Fracturing my skull during my drunken car surfing phase. I lost about 3 or 4 hours of my life. My friend thought I was dead when he found me, and I apparently was seizuring while I was passed out. I refused EMT care twice, and just "got over it" myself. It felt like I was drunk for 2 weeks straight. I had slurred speech and was walking into walls. Car surfing phases never end well.

Tore my rotator Cusf jumping off a highway overpass running from the cops (which we didn't really need to be doing. But we were drunk, so it seemed like the thing to do at the time). My buddy broke his foot during that one. Awww... memories.

I fell into a bathtub and People's Elbowed the shit out of the spigot, Gnar bruise on my elbow from that.

Skating has done a number on me too, mostly from bombing hills. I've got a chip missing from my elbow, right after i had that bail I went out to a Nice Portuguese restaurant with my buddy and his parents. We ordered ceviche and it came on dry ice, which i put my elbow in. Which also hurt.

I have the worst luck when i skate with my shirt off though. That's where this lil guy came from.

ltkua.jpg

Aside from cat-related injuries and my general ability to nearly murder myself every time I'm in the kitchen, probably my stupidest injury was when I was working a summer job in an amusement park making personalised rings. We'd use these teensy, threadlike jeweller's saw blades to carve initials into rings, while holding the ring in a vice with the other hand. I snapped a saw blade on a downstroke and stabbed it straight into the joint of my left thumb. The serrated blade held it in the cartilage and kept me from being able to pull it out easily. It was one of the most painful things I've ever felt and thought I was going to puke and faint simultaneously. I counted to three, ripped it out, it went TOING! and apparently I turned green.

Being an amusement park, a crowd of people had watched the whole thing like it was an episode of Jackass.

Ohhh man where to start..... erm ha, my uncle flagged/paved his back yard, leaving a gap for access to the man hole cover (drainage cover) which he later put some decorative stone chippings over,

after a heavy night and a early start I was in no fit state so decided to wait out side while my cousin went inside to get something.

I walked round the back and over the stones cant remember what for, but, it made a nice sound, I walked back across them a few times, then the lid on the man hole cover gave way and I fell down the hole, bashing my shins on the lip that had rusted away. Right shin had a little cut but my left was worse a good 6" of my shin bone was on display, ohhh the flap ha...

It could of been worse the man hole cover is the emergency access to the sewer system, if I didn't stick my arms out Id of landed in knee deep sewage water.

Still to this day my mum thinks I came off the motorbike she said I wasn't to go on, over 10 years ago wonder if she believes me yet?!