Hand and/or neck tattoos but nothing else...

Lochlan

@Jake and I were talking the other day so here it is...

Would you rather see someone with GOOD hand and/or neck tattoos but little to nothing else?

OR

....someone with BAD hand and/or neck tattoos but little to nothing else?

What is this called the warped tour suit?

GOOD

Please let it be good!

Actually, it probably doesn't matter either way if its good or bad.

I ordered pizza last Friday night and the delivery person turned out to be a girl who couldn't have been any more than 19 or 20 years old. She had no visible tattoos other than a HUGE, GNARLY, AWFUL LOOKING neck tattoo.

I was thinking to myself that that poor kid was probably going to end up making a career out of delivering pizza.

i have two roommates now with full hand tattoos and basically nothing else (ok, one of them has a crappy upper arm tattoo, but that's it). one of them is in a master's program at my old college, the other does not have a job and is drowning in school debt. the one in the master's program has a portrait of her dog on each hand and his name across her knuckles, the other has a v on his right hand, and a gun on his left (v/gun=vegan, get it?). i don't particularly like either tattoo, but the portraits/lettering are better in quality than the v/gun. i don't think of it much now, but it's kind of weird to be the most heavily tattooed person in the house, and the least visibly tattooed person too.

I met a tattooer a few years back, can't remember the guy's name but he was a real nice dude and a pretty decent artist. He was telling me that even as a tattooer he was having a hell of a time finding someone to do his hands without his arms being done first. His argument was that he didn't WANT his arms done. As we get more and more into the "general public" (I loathe using it, but I can't think of a better way to delineate the difference between "tattoo people" and everyone else) using tattoos to express aesthetics that aren't so codified to our subculture...

Sorry... got really wordy there.

Anyhoo.... He eventually got his hands done. Still doesn't want his arms done. I worry that we're trending into a snobbery thing and that we're the ones that need to change. Like when Hardy started really pushing the planned out Japanese bodysuit versus the more traditional 'patched vulcanized tire' look there was a "these people don't GET it" snobbiness towards single piece Americana tattoos. But we've luckily worked through that. Now we're more evolved and just make fun of chromed up pieces.

That or these Warped Tour Bodysuit folks are just douches.

Either way.

I find "side hand" tattoos more annoying it seems to be the first choice for ppl to get tattooed these days especially the ones who get done at hepatitus-parties. theres a guy at my work got a union flag with a poppy in it on one hand and a nautical star on the other. not a straight even line between them. on another note the worst ever tattoo I have ever saw was the guy with "Scottish" tattooed on his neck. I wish I could have got a photo of it but he looked like the stabby type.

i don't think of it much now, but it's kind of weird to be the most heavily tattooed person in the house, and the least visibly tattooed person too.

Had similar experiences, it's a weird feeling! Also, I often don't feel like "the tattooed guy" even though, for example at family functions, I very obviously am. It is kind of nice though to have the anonymity granted by long sleeves. Also, V/Gun made me think of "vagina weapon." .....sorry. I blame D for that for some reason.

Anyhoo.... He eventually got his hands done. Still doesn't want his arms done.

I truly can't understand that mentality and it would make me question the dude's motives, nice guy or not. I wish it was more complex than the instant credibility the person assumes they'll garner.. but seems to me that type of person has no interest in tattoos and simply wants attention. I hate getting tattooed the older I get, but there's no way I'm stopping and there's no way I could justify hands/neck til I'm older. And at least got started on my back. Hands/neck only seems like a red flag. Like women that have children's voices, or a person that moves five times inside of a year. Or a guy that says he doesn't want to tattoo his arms and gets his hands done. Red flag.

I truly can't understand that mentality and it would make me question the dude's motives, nice guy or not. I wish it was more complex than the instant credibility the person assumes they'll garner.. but seems to me that type of person has no interest in tattoos and simply wants attention. I hate getting tattooed the older I get, but there's no way I'm stopping and there's no way I could justify hands/neck til I'm older. And at least got started on my back. Hands/neck only seems like a red flag. Like women that have children's voices, or a person that moves five times inside of a year. Or a guy that says he doesn't want to tattoo his arms and gets his hands done. Red flag.

That doesn't really make much sense to me. Question his motives? His motives are that he wanted a particular aesthetic. That aesthetic had symmetrical pieces starting on his hands and going up onto his wrists so when put together it looks one way and singly it looks another. It was all planned out; like some of the ThomasThomas work that has different flow when everything lines up. Having sleeves would change the dynamic.

I'd never be so bold as to tell someone their arms aren't "complete" until they have their hands done; or that unless that have 5 or 6 designs united by stars and dots (or conversely a single design Japanese piece that took up the whole arm) that they're not 'doing it right'.

This dude wanted tattoos that work with his body and had things more planned out than the willy nilly slap it here aesthetic that I employ. Hell, there's a thread here called "areas of the body that you WON'T tattoo". I'm sure arms don't come up that often, but who the heck are we to say that someone 'has' to get something to remain legit?

@ShawnPorter, you're right. I can certainly admit when I'm being a jerk and should've simply said, "I don't get the aesthetic and it's not for me personally," instead of basically, "Fuck that guy." It's my knee-jerk reaction to that kind of thing because I obviously make assumptions about the people that only go for hands/neck and, try as I might, end up making snap judgments. I'm sure the dude put a lot of thought into it. I'll be a lesson to myself here and apologize if I came off like a high-and-mighty-dickhead. I haven't failed to see that in the same way I'm sure plenty of people have made snap judgments about me. We joke a lot about the Warped Tour Bodysuit and obviously all those that go for that look aren't straight up douches. Or maybe they are.

In conclusion, nobody's "doing it wrong." My own arms could be wrong by someone else's definition. Different strokes for different folks. But I still sort of.. wonder when I see hands/necks only.

I tattoo people's GF or BF's name on them all the damn time and that's a much bigger fail than a hand or neck tattoo. I'd rather tattoo a (fill in the blank) on someone's hand anyday over doing some dude's name on a girl's chest or whatever other spot.

People are gonna make bad decisions. That's life. If someone is determined, no matter what, to get a star on their hand and are gonna get it from me or go to some other shop a bit down the road, well I got a light bill to pay so sit in the chair dumbass. At least it'll have straight lines and a solid fill.