Don't know good work from bad yet?

Iwar

Then take look at this "Spencer Kmyta" tattoo

478x720.jpeg

And compare it to the original @Valerie Vargas tattoo which he obviously tried to rip off

article_image-image-article.jpg

It's like the second picture in his online portfolio! The fucking nerves on this dude....

Same thing happened to @Stefan Johnsson a little while back (different hack though)

228230_2058916877756_1389684913_2360366_5850021_n.jpg

I saw the first image and was just about to go get the Vargas image, but you were one step ahead of me. It's actually fascinating that these people can't even rip-off well. The wolf's nose shows that he can't quite nail the perspective, but most importantly the execution of the brows gives it a completely different tone. In the Vargas tattoo the wolf is dead-eyed but serious, and the girl is thoughtful and focussed. In the Kmyta tattoo, the brown makes the wolf look sad and slightly animated, whilst the girl looks just blank and dolly-bird like. I'm probably analysing it too much, but as a non-artist it is fascinating how the small nuances create a completely different subject.

I'll say one thing in his favour - he obviously knows his limits, judging by his choice for ear-rings.

I really don't get why someone would want a tattoo that’s been specifically designed for someone else. The copy is never going to be as good as the original. You will ultimately end up disappointed.

Its a similar mentality as people buying knock off designer goods. The difference being that when the shitty handbag/watch falls to bits you are not stuck with it for life.

If the clients brought in the image(s) and asked for a direct copy... I can't imagine the motivation behind that. Why would you ever want a direct copy of someone else's tattoo? At least I assume that's what happened, the alternative (the artists passing these off as their own "custom" work) is just too stupid to even think about.

I really don't get why someone would want a tattoo that’s been specifically designed for someone else. The copy is never going to be as good as the original. You will ultimately end up disappointed.

Its a similar mentality as people buying knock off designer goods. The difference being that when the shitty handbag/watch falls to bits you are not stuck with it for life.

I agree, I want something from valerie pretty bad but not going to ask or expect someone else can copy what she puts out.

Definitely not the worst of rip-offs of another artist's work - I think that honor belongs to Hall of Shame members Derek Noble posted last year on his Myspace. The reason I say that is when someone tries copy someone that has a super-stylized way of doing things, like Derek Noble, Myles Karr, Matt Shamah, Ashley Davies, etc, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I wonder if some of the clients are oblivious to the fact that they're wearing copied designs? Say a girl walks in looking for a traditional-style lady head with some surrounding stuff (or he talks her around to that), and then comes back when he's drawn the design up... Maybe if an artist is unscrupulous enough to lift a whole design he may not come clean about that to a client? All they know is that is that he's come up with a polished-looking design for them. And there are plenty of people out there who just aren't up enough on tattooing to necessarily pick up on it.

I spotted the Valerie Vargas knock off a couple of months back. The girl and her tattoos were featured on a blog.... Sometimes Sweet: Tattoo Tuesday V.95

This makes me very, very sad. I was having dinner with friends later that day.... while discussing tattoos I mentioned seeing this blog post. Some felt that no-one was hurt, so no harm was done. But others agreed that it's an insult to the artist and even more so to the person whose skin the original piece is on.

If someone copied my Valerie Vargas girl head and I discovered a photo online, I would be devastated. I absolutely cannot understand the motivations of someone who would want a ripped off piece on their skin.

This used to annoy (and flatter) me, but not so much anymore.

Now I find it more strange than anything else. I have seen 4 or 5 versions of that wolf/rose, and I don't understand why. The customers could have just asked their tattooer to draw something similar, and I'm sure everyone would be happier.

It's always very sad to see artists without integrity who can't come up with their own designs, so they take the easy way out and copy someone else's piece. Who knows though, the client could have come in with a picture of Ms. Vargas' tattoo and told the artist, "I want THAT. Don't make any changes". Most artists won't accept that type of work, but some are more than happy to adjust a few things here and there to make an easy buck.

It's an unfortunate part of the age of the internet. If you post it, someone, somewhere will rip it off.

I try not to pay attention to bad tattoo sites and direct copy stuff. The nature of my work means I don't see copies of my work anyway.

I obviously see copies of Valerie's work daily, sometimes even in our shop, but one of my favourite things is to see a copy traced from a magazine/photo/printout of a tattoo. So the distortion or perspective on the photo is tattooed on someone but the distortion is exaggerated. So if it's a gypsy girl, it winds up super elongated and narrow.

You can see a little of it on the copy of Stefan's wolf on page 1 of this thread. Particularly on the curve of it's head.

When it's super pronounced, it cracks me up every time.

We get the tattoo we deserve, I guess.

people think that the internet is the same as looking at flash in a shop, most people are clueless to the many things in every aspect of life. don't give it too much thought either way. there are things that happen every day that are far worse and more harmful that most of us live in denial of because of these periphera distractions. do good, focus on positive things, progress, and let the rest of the world devolve. i can't prevent rain from falling but i can provide myself with a pleasant refuge from the rain.

haha, that woman also has the butterfly i did on El Wood's arm. i remember seeing this a while ago, think a customer pointed me to it over twitter. i dont really know what to say on the matter other than i think the biggest shame is for the owner of the original tattoo, they put their trust and money on that piece to have someone else get a nastier cheaper version.

ive had a couple of customers bring up this point after seeing a bad copy of their own tattoo online and the only thing to say on this matter is that at least you got the original and best.

i havent crossed words with customers that pass through frith st who wear bad copies of my work, i stay away from it and leave them to get tattooed by the other guys. i assume that when i open up my book at some point the people who wish to get work by me will, and the ones that keep getting cheap copies wont.

a while a go i finished a black and grey girl/tiger head backpiece and i remember stumbling across another artists website with a tshirt they designed and selling with a near enough tracing of the original design i did for my customers back with a tweak or two. ive since had the fortune to speak to said artist face to face and tell them how unhappy i was about it but they didnt apologise and instead chose to lie about it. but whatever, i told the owner of the backpiece and he was at first upset then kinda laughed about it thankfully.

I def post less and less work online, not purely through these type of happenings but they certainly do not help. my newest funnest work is now printed in photograph form and added to my physical portfolio at work/conventions. it is sadly a very much double edged sword, i just try to toe the line and not disappear entirely.

haha, that woman also has the butterfly i did on El Wood's arm. i remember seeing this a while ago, think a customer pointed me to it over twitter. i dont really know what to say on the matter other than i think the biggest shame is for the owner of the original tattoo, they put their trust and money on that piece to have someone else get a nastier cheaper version.

ive had a couple of customers bring up this point after seeing a bad copy of their own tattoo online and the only thing to say on this matter is that at least you got the original and best.

i havent crossed words with customers that pass through frith st who wear bad copies of my work, i stay away from it and leave them to get tattooed by the other guys. i assume that when i open up my book at some point the people who wish to get work by me will, and the ones that keep getting cheap copies wont.

a while a go i finished a black and grey girl/tiger head backpiece and i remember stumbling across another artists website with a tshirt they designed and selling with a near enough tracing of the original design i did for my customers back with a tweak or two. ive since had the fortune to speak to said artist face to face and tell them how unhappy i was about it but they didnt apologise and instead chose to lie about it. but whatever, i told the owner of the backpiece and he was at first upset then kinda laughed about it thankfully.

I def post less and less work online, not purely through these type of happenings but they certainly do not help. my newest funnest work is now printed in photograph form and added to my physical portfolio at work/conventions. it is sadly a very much double edged sword, i just try to toe the line and not disappear entirely.

What bugs me when people poach is it hurts the rest of us. I enjoyed looking at Valerie's blog and seeing her work evolve. Sometime ago the entries slowed and I understand why. You aren't original if you want someone else's EXACT tattoo or if you trace it and apply it to someone else.

the problem is in my opinion is that just because there are more and more tattooers everyday the ratio of hard working creative and original ones are falling off.. part of self promotion is you have to make yourself and your work public. if not no one outside your town would really get to know your work. its obvious valerie is an amazing tattooer, with that comes all the no tallent as clowns who rip everyones shit off. i think its sad that people arent just willing to sit down and learn to draw a girl head with an animal head of their choice. instead to rip it off. then there is the part of a customer wants the exact thing. fine . try to steer them away but if they are persistant dont fucking publish it on the internet.... i love how people are called out on it...

I think a lot of this also stems from new artists not having a proper apprenticeship. Where drawing is a huge part of it. I have a friend that is an apprentice and one day they were told by the end of the week (had the full week to do it plus all the other duties they had) to draw and complete 200 completely different Koi designs to be inspected upon completion. This sort of training makes the apprentice know how to draw an image or alter one that a client brings in so that they can make it their own and not a direct copy.

I think a lot of this also stems from new artists not having a proper apprenticeship. Where drawing is a huge part of it. I have a friend that is an apprentice and one day they were told by the end of the week (had the full week to do it plus all the other duties they had) to draw and complete 200 completely different Koi designs to be inspected upon completion. This sort of training makes the apprentice know how to draw an image or alter one that a client brings in so that they can make it their own and not a direct copy.

i remember during the full length of my apprenticeship i had to draw pretty much all designs for the shop i was at, so that got me up to speed on the basics of initials, tribal, traditional and japanese style stuff, none of it awesome by any stretch of the imagination but it helped me understand reference and how to use it