i put together another little zine of drawings & paintings. full color on cardstock, hand numbered out of 13 (just in time for halloween). if anyone is interested you can send $3.50 to chrisnd666@yahoo.com via paypal (as friends/family) with your address in the comments and i will send you one.

tumblr_mvdwtzKkrV1rocpblo1_500.jpg

This is a not very good picture of what I've been sporadically working on for the past couple of months. When it's finished I'll try to get better pictures:

hv5aif.jpg

This is my first attempt at working with oils, other than a little bit of dabbling with it when I took art classes as a kid, but I don't really count that. I'm pretty happy with some things with this painting, but beyond my obvious technical limitations, it has quite a few significant flaws that have largely to do with me being too excited to start painting that I didn't properly work out a sketch beforehand and figure out composition, perspective, light sources, use reference, etc. My next one will be better.

oils=hell...

My inexperience says yes and no. Yes for all the obvious reasons, but no because it seems difficult* to well and truly fuck up an oil painting because you can rub off fresh mistakes with a rag and turpentine, and when it's dry it's easy to cover mistakes.

The slow pace of it is frustrating. I had this idea that I was going to paint at least a little bit every day for a month, just because I make too many excuses to not paint (I don't have enough time, I'm too tired, I don't feel inspired, etc) and it isn't working out because it gets to that point where you just need to wait for the thing to dry before you start working on it again. That said, slowing things down and taking my time and putting proper care into it is good for me, because I tend to rush things.

*because I said that it's going to turn out that I did the layers all wrong and the painting is going to crack and end up in the garbage.

With oils, remember that a thin paint will stick to freashly painted thick paint. Also, don't try so much to "erase" as to just layer the paint to make adjustments and refinement to perspective and such. Use a dark base color to rework the area and then bring your highlights over it. If you've ever seen oil paints at a museum where you can get close enough to really see the texture, its pretty incredible. Layers of paint coming out from the canvas.

Just a thought.

With oils, remember that a thin paint will stick to freashly painted thick paint. Also, don't try so much to "erase" as to just layer the paint to make adjustments and refinement to perspective and such. Use a dark base color to rework the area and then bring your highlights over it. If you've ever seen oil paints at a museum where you can get close enough to really see the texture, its pretty incredible. Layers of paint coming out from the canvas.

Just a thought.

Thanks for that. I went into this kind of like a moron figuring that I'd work it out as I went along. There's a lot to be said about that approach, I think, but it's also really humbling to realise that as difficult as oils are, they're in a lot of ways even harder than I thought. All of this is to say, thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

Thanks for that. I went into this kind of like a moron figuring that I'd work it out as I went along. There's a lot to be said about that approach, I think, but it's also really humbling to realise that as difficult as oils are, they're in a lot of ways even harder than I thought. All of this is to say, thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

My pleasure man, sending pm.

anyone here into printmaking? i found photos of some work i did a year or so ago

Yes, I LOVE printmaking!! I work at a university, so I get free tuition and took a litho/silk screen class this fall. I let the print shop eat up basically all of my free time, and I'm happy to do it again in the spring. Good work, please post more prints!