Pictures of old photo realistic/ non-outlined tattoos?

Kev

I know we talk a lot about how photo-realistic/ non-outlined tattoos won't hold up, but does anyone have any pics to show that? I saw pics of realistic/ no outline stuff in tattoo mags from the late 80's-through 90's, so we're talking about stuff out there that's had at least 20 years to age. More a matter of curiosity.

i dont have any photos but ive seen some stuff close to that old that looked both terrible and great. at this point its still a 50 50 chance. i would def like to see some conclusive evidence in either direction. ive always thought that no matter the tattoo when you get old your old and your work will show its age in one way or form. i used to work for bruce kaplan and i saw some single neddle work that was 15-20 years old that was holding up pretty fair considering lining and shading were done with said single needle

Hi

ive been reading the tattoo mags since the early 90s and some of the black n grey whispey portrait stuff have been so light n crisp and amazing. from the old school guys

that are still pushing the craft today. btbh some iv seen of the same tattoo only a few yrs later im not talking 20yrs have been so faded n non existent and needed rebooting so to speak. i think when some artists do a design or portrait they want it the same tones when its finished without thinking of the fall out % what will occur when it heals . and dont compensate by overshading slightly.

i agree with the organic colourfull stuff too . where that can look just a mush of nothing defined after a few years. even some of the real colourfull comic fantasy stuff inspired by the media n movies and books iv seen recently thats been so brite n realistic. that even after a year can look a bit tired . maybe its the inks or application. i remember a guy saying in a magazine he was very good by the way .said he always over boosted his colours to compensate for the yrs to come and use thicker lines so that it can be seen across a room without having to explain what he had on his arm. but a pastel wash will always have a place. but overall the quality and longevity of whats being put out everyday is still cutting edge and pushing the bounderies technically and artisticley compared to walk in cave studios of 12000 bc. when a sabertooth

walked in for a cave dweller inked on his paw lol

• 2 years later...