Tattoo Myths and Misconceptions

Lochlan

There was quite a few people that asked me if the needles go through seven layers of skin......

and another is my own family claiming the ink enters your blood stream. :/

A certain amount of it does get into your blood stream, but it's not harmful or anything. I think there's a thread on here mentioning pigment showing up in your lymph nodes in MRI's or some scan of that nature.

some girl came into the shop where i work yesterday, asking about getting a small feather tattooed by her eye (to match one in her only other tattoo we could see, on the back of her neck)... before being turned away, she was also asking if anyone in the shop did UV tattoos, and talking all about how they take 10 years off of your life, because the ink is so toxic.

this person is the reason for birth control

A certain amount of it does get into your blood stream, but it's not harmful or anything. I think there's a thread on here mentioning pigment showing up in your lymph nodes in MRI's or some scan of that nature.

Not sure where that other thread is, but I can certainly confirm that when I had a MRI scan last year, the radiographer(?)/scanner guy made a point of asking if I had any "old" tattoos with a lot of red in them. What he said was that some older red tattoo inks had a high concentration of iron in them, and given the MRI scanner is basically a huge full body magnet, there could be...um...issues. Whether the science of it is a myth or not I've no idea, but the fact they ask you about it is real enough!

In fairness, I have no idea how "old" the ink has to be before it might be an issue. Maybe he only asked me because I'm pushing 50. :cool:

Not sure where that other thread is, but I can certainly confirm that when I had a MRI scan last year, the radiographer(?)/scanner guy made a point of asking if I had any "old" tattoos with a lot of red in them. What he said was that some older red tattoo inks had a high concentration of iron in them, and given the MRI scanner is basically a huge full body magnet, there could be...um...issues. Whether the science of it is a myth or not I've no idea, but the fact they ask you about it is real enough!

In fairness, I have no idea how "old" the ink has to be before it might be an issue. Maybe he only asked me because I'm pushing 50. :cool:

Yeah, I've definitely heard things about people with older red and blue inks having problems after MRIs and CATs. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of (older) pigments have heavy metals in them, so that would make sense.

Reaching out to touch the sky, obviously? If that's the case, I'm beginning to form a mental image.

When are you in Scotland next? ;)

Haha, well I've got a buddy in the uk that has given me an open invitation for whenever I want to come over. Maybe once I get this house sold and move I'll be able to afford a trip that direction.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
That tattoos can give you STDs! I just saw this on a tattooist's website.

"Tattooing carries a risk of STDs and other nasty things infecting you, and you wouldn’t want to catch any of those."

If you're getting sexually transmitted diseases from a tattooist, it's not the needle they're sticking you with.

Well, technically this isn't really a myth. If you share needles you could get hepatitis or HIV (both STDs... even though you're not contracting them via sex). This is only a concern if you don't got to a professional, but I know plenty of people who tout that getting tattoos anywhere carries the risk... NOT TRUE. Just go to a professional.