Facial Tattoos

I believe its ''moko'' but Ive been wrong before. one of the nicest people I know, freddy corbin, heavily tattooed face. again tough to judge.

that's because most people that get mocco are very into tribal things like stretching suspension and shit that you earn. Now it's a moprim thing that kat von std started with t.v. I don't do faces. It's too personal. most of the kids that want their faces done are wanting that approval stamp but don't understand life changes at 25 and mistakes are well known on the personal level. Especially when they want a career one day. Markus Kuhn has some sick face tattoos though. It feels right lol.

Just my personal opinion here. I think facial tattoos are a very grey area. Freddy Corbin's fit him well, and I've got a good friend with some facial tattoos that fit him good too. I agree with Patriot Ink about the tribal stuff. There are 2 instances where I almost always dislike facial tattoos. The tribal stuff on the wrong people and the people who are trying SO hard to prove how "against modern society" they are.

• 1 year later...

I just got a small facial tattoo last month. It was something I'd been thinking about for a long time. It was a big step, but since it's illegal to tattoo hands, fingers, neck and face in Denmark (I've had hands/fingers done), I figured it wouldn't make people stare more at me, than they already do. One of the reasons why it's banned in DK is because of the way it affects your chances of getting a job, and since I quit being a coorporate minion, and started a life of being a poor but free artist/illustrator, that doesn't really apply to me, so in a sence, I guess you could see it as a statement. There are a few people with facial tattoos in Denmark. Mostly douchebags who wanna look badass.

I just got a small facial tattoo last month. It was something I'd been thinking about for a long time. It was a big step, but since it's illegal to tattoo hands, fingers, neck and face in Denmark (I've had hands/fingers done), I figured it wouldn't make people stare more at me, than they already do. One of the reasons why it's banned in DK is because of the way it affects your chances of getting a job, and since I quit being a coorporate minion, and started a life of being a poor but free artist/illustrator, that doesn't really apply to me, so in a sence, I guess you could see it as a statement. There are a few people with facial tattoos in Denmark. Mostly douchebags who wanna look badass.

Do you have any pictures? I am curious. Thanks

@TaeTae Just my profile picture. Nothing huge. Just a anchor under my eye. I've seen people with totaly covered faces, and imo it looks creepy. When it comes to the face, less is more :-)

Looks like you pull that off pretty well mate. Not something I could do but fair play to you. Never seen anyone in person with a covered face tattoo, but yeah I can imagine that would be pretty creepy.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have only tattooed two peoples' faces and they already had facial tattoos so I was alright with it. Fucking difficult type of skin to tattoo though, so thin and delicate! I'm generally not a big fan of face tattoos, although the two people in my opinion who do pull them off well are Sonju and Freddy.

As a general rule though, the face is the last place on a person that I would tattoo. Like for instance I would way rather tattoo your dick than your face and even that's a stretch (do you see what I did there?). I also won't tattoo your face unless you have significant coverage on your hands/neck/head.

• 6 months later...

To each his/her own but to me heavy coverage on the face looks like a mask. I could never get that done. I've thought of something small on the templ but will likely keep it all behind the temple on my shaved head.

I won't do a face tattoo on anyone who hasn't worked their way up to it or otherwise separated themselves out socially in a significant way. I cringe at the #facetattoo hashtag on ig...a bunch of kids who demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the heaviness of their actions.

Face tattoos, more than maybe any other place, should be reserved for people who have paid their dues, made their own way in life, are prepared to disregard convention and take those consequences. Too many people these days want to give society the middle finger and sit there, pouting with their mandala covered face in their ironically tattooed hands when society gets the message.

This is an interesting topic. While I typically roll my eyes at all the kids getting face tattoos, I've also seen a few that I like. Here's one done by Boris: post-53683-146168880232_thumb.jpg

Now about the life consequences part. When I was in my late 20s and doing a fisheries degree at UBC, I went and got a small anchor under my eye. I already had half a bodysuit. Aside from the occasional person asking me about it, there were zero life consequences. I went on to work as a biologist for the federal government in Canada and then the same in the US. Never was it an issue. post-53683-146168880237_thumb.jpg

I think we often judge facial tattoos because we often see them on street people or really trashy people who are trying to repulse us. However when someone more integrated into society gets one (which is rare), the consequences are often nil.

Before i got my hands tattooed, everyone told me how big of a deal it would be and how there would be "consequences". Afterwards I found there were zero consequences. Then the same thing happened with my neck. I was a dorky college student getting all of these job stoppers while continually getting good jobs (research, consulting, education). It got to a point where I felt it was all horsecrap, so it was as simple as wanting that little anchor and then getting it - and again, no consequences and no problems with job prospects.

Now, getting your entire face tattooed...i think that's bat shit crazy. And I strongly dislike the script above the eye, and also the little trinkets under the eye, which I have haha! Whenever I see someone else with an anchor under the eye I think " oh man look at us unoriginal losers!"

Edited by Rad Kelham
Kop

@Rad Kelham Consequence is an iffy thing. Plenty of people can do their thing and not pay for it...it's not that I think everyone is going to face a backlash...just they they should be prepared for the likelihood and be the kind of person that will be ok with it. It might only matter on one day in a person's life -- a job interview, a courtroom, meeting the prospective in-laws...it shouldn't matter but sometimes it does. One might never know what judgment was passed on them as it will have happened silently, getting passed over. I don't get it. i feel like a lot of people are counting out the best people they've never met -- based on appearance -- but that's life or at least it can be.

I'm fine with my choices. Im getting my head done next week, might creep onto my face a bit if the design calls for it. We shall see. Anything my tattoos exclude me from I don't want to be a part of. I've chosen a path that allows for that...as have you, it would seem.

• 2 weeks later...

The first face tattoo that @Rad Kelham posted above.. Seriously.. I don't know if it is JUST me, who have been hanging out on this forum too much and drank my dosage of BoldWillHold-drink every morning but that shit is going to look like shit in just a couple of years! How can I get so provoked by seeing stuff like this, when it's really only about other peoples bad judgement and in the end it hurts themselves only? (Not only... apparently my eyes get butt hurt by it too!)

I think for facial tattoos: very simple stuff, lines mostly, spaced out so it is and stays readable. I've seen a few people with serious facial work done who could wear it in a way so it looks good and not only looks like a stupid idea. I admire those in the same way I admire people who throw themselves out of jet planes on a regular basis.

Example:

tumblr_nmsryfM4Rz1qzpqyqo1_1280.jpg

By Curly

Even though it looks shockingly amazing it's a bit too much Mad Max, I have a hard time relating to it. Not for me and my face. But then again, as a photographer I love the look of anyone with an interesting face and face tattoos can add to that.

(For myself: a small, simple, strong and mystical symbol that nobody recognizes at the temple though.. that's some addition of mysterious (sex) appeal. ("Oh that symbol is so alluring, I've got to get inside her/his pants!"))

The only face tattoos that work for me are ta moko - on actual Maoris. It looks "right" somehow in contrast to the way most face tattoos in the west seem to make people look worse rather than better.

Although, even in that culture it can illicit mixed reactions. I read something by a researcher that spoke to women who got the facial moko and it seemed like there was, for some, almost a reverse snobbery.

One lady got approached by another Maori woman who wanted to know who she thought she was, to deserve to wear something that was such a potent cultural artefact. Then there were the older folk who weren't sure what to make of the whole tattooing revival.

I bet a few hundred years ago Vikings with "the helm of awe" tattooed on their temples looked badass.

I bet a few hundred years ago Vikings with "the helm of awe" tattooed on their temples looked badass.

I would love to see that. Or viking tattoos in general. A Middle Eastern Traveller said it was common to have the arms and shoulders tattooed with tree designs and ornaments. Yet no one knows exactly what it looked like.

Regarding face tattoos, I find some tribal style facial tattoos flattering, like berber, tuareg tattoos for example. Though many of these are not very cleanly done, the idea of a simple ornament on the forehead, temple or chin is not bad imo.

• 1 year later...

I also had told myself that I'd not get facial tattoos. Mostly because of my job, and I know how important appearances are when someone is coming to you for help. It's their life on the line, so they would definitely assess my age, style of dress and hair etc, and would definitely be polarized as to my piercings and tattoos. Some would love them and others would hate them. Sure, someideas are cute and I hope they will not regtet!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoIZUI4aOdU8NL8J_oVcH

Edited by topazann