What do you do when you can't sleep?

LeoKraft

I just tend to stick with my general blog and ebay lurking. I occasionally paint, draw and write but I'm always looking for new ways to keep my self entertained.

also here some of my general insomnia remedies

1. Melatonin

2. sleepy time tea

3. stuffing my face

4. documentaries

I had a bad problem with insomnia before I got sober. Two years later, I sleep through the night, barring some kind of loud noise like a thunderstorm. I keep my room PITCH black- heavy duty blackout curtains all around and run a small fan for white noise. I also lift heavy weights every other day and that pretty much annihilates me.

watch something you've watched a million times over. i sleep to simpsons episodes every night. If you've seen it you won't miss anything and you'll sleep like a rock. Plus I meditate on my all shit every night, so I've trained my brain to shut off while I"m trying to sleep cause I've already come up with and solved problems before sleeping

I think before you try to sleep you want to create the right conditions-

-Make your room as dark and cave-like as you can. Blackout blinds are good (especially for shift-workers). Unplug any heavy electronics or artificial light sources if you can.

-Avoid anything that is going to release a load of sugar before you try and nod off.

More good stuff in this book: 'Lights out: Sleep, sugar and survival'. http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Sleep-Sugar-Survival/dp/0671038680

If I try and sleep and it's just not happening then I check the time. If it's within 2 hours of the time I will have to get up I usually just get up early, shower and get ready, and then use the extra time to check e-mails, brew coffee and relax. Sure, you're really tired over the course of the day, but at least you're more likely to sleep that night - because you'll have built up that sleep debt and your body is going to try and fill it. If the same thing happens the following night then ... Well, I think there you're into dysfunctional territory and insomnia is one thing I've luckily never had to contend with.

I'm not a huge fan of lying on in bed, versus getting up, because I find that I toss and turn and chances are it's only when I'm about to have to get up anyway that I manage to nod off - and, IMO, an interrupted sleep cycle after a period of lying unsettled is actually more annoying than just getting up early and making the best of it.

If I can't get up, for whatever reason (like, I'm in a strange house or a hotel or something), then I'll read.