I've probably posted this somewhere, but I think it fits well here. The screaming gorilla is on my left elbow, the tiger on the right. Both by Tim Pausinger at The Pearl. (The tiger is a little distorted by the way my arm is lying.)

Both pieces are rad. I really like that filler on the tiger arm.

I've been holding off on my elbow because its going to be the last substantial tattoo I can get on my arms. I would love for Thomas Hooper to do one of his beautiful designs over my elbow when I visit New York. Gotta make that call and find out if he has availability now.

I've been holding off on my elbow because its going to be the last substantial tattoo I can get on my arms. I would love for Thomas Hooper to do one of his beautiful designs over my elbow when I visit New York. Gotta make that call and find out if he has availability now.

Hooper tattoos in Austin at Rock of Ages now.

• 2 months later...

Ok guys and gals, I have some cash saved up to get my elbow tattooed. I have enough space for a palm size tattoo centered dead on the point of my elbow. Everything I have already is traditional and I wanna stick with that style. Looking for some suggestions for a rad tattoo. I like the idea of a bear head, gorilla head..

I'm going ask my tattooer for input and he will have full artistic liberty but I'm not sold on any one idea. I do want something solid, unlike a spider web.

I think rosesnin general' date=' tudor roses specially, make awesome elbow caps. I think I like them because they look right, no matter what position your arm is in, whereas some designs look distorted unless your arm is in the correct position[/quote']

Thanks, that's an awesome suggestion. A friend suggested a rose last night and they have been in my mind since.

Now I'm wondering if that style rose vs a traditional style rose, which would distort less?

I honestly dig the more traditional style roses.

I have a tudor rose style one, without being exactly true to the original design, and love it. It just fits absolutely perfectly as an elbow cap, and doesn't ever really distort because of the circular design. I'm also thinking a chrysanthemum (sp?) Of the top view variety could be really cool, and work well, for the same reasons

Stopped to talk to my artist today but he was off.. I've seen some elbow tattoos where the line work in particular broke up pretty bad, I know where the dude(s) he tattooed and I'm thinking that's issue along with after care in their case, am I thinking along the right lines or are they prone problems because of the area?

Stopped to talk to my artist today but he was off.. I've seen some elbow tattoos where the line work in particular broke up pretty bad, I know where the dude(s) he tattooed and I'm thinking that's issue along with after care in their case, am I thinking along the right lines or are they prone problems because of the area?

I will say that when I had my elbow lined it was a pretty gnarly heal and a small section of line scabbed and actually fell totally out. It was small, barely even noticeable, and once it was shaded, because it's all solid black feathers, you can't tell at all. The shading healed up really great, super solid and black and didn't need any touch ups. After care is probably an issue, but I have heard from tattooers that it's just a really difficult area to tattoo, so technique is probably a part of it as well.

I will say that when I had my elbow lined it was a pretty gnarly heal and a small section of line scabbed and actually fell totally out. It was small' date=' barely even noticeable, and once it was shaded, because it's all solid black feathers, you can't tell at all. The shading healed up really great, super solid and black and didn't need any touch ups. After care is probably an issue, but I have heard from tattooers that it's just a really difficult area to tattoo, so technique is probably a part of it as well.[/quote']

Cool deal, thanks for the input! I think I'm going to lean pretty heavy on my tattooer on this one. Still not married to any one idea so I'm pretty interested in his ideas/advice.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
My elbow tat is a king rat done by Mike Ferrara, now at Kustom Hustle in Savannah, GA.

I can't get color due to a lot of allergies.

I personally wanted the elbow done first. I wanted a solid piece in the middle to build around and not look like filler/stuffed it there.

love that idea.

I'm getting my elbow done by Chad Koeplinger in two weeks! I'm pretty set om a panther/rose morph thing. But still playing with different ideas!

Nice, great idea! I´m also getting tattooed by him in two weeks at Invictus. Btw. I have a rose/lephard from him on my shoulder.

• 3 years later...

Been thinking a lot lately about getting my left elbow covered. While I like the look, I don't necessarily want to go the direction of a rose/flower/increasingly popular mandala.

I'm thinking a horshoe with something going on in the middle could be fun.

Anybody got some swellbow recently, or seen something they like?