Leg tattoo healing weird

lving4today

It's scabbing up more than my other tattoos and slightly red around it like a nasty scab would. My others barely ever scabbed, and all healed real easy. The dude is heavier handed so Im not sure if that could be why, but is there anything I should do to make it heal easier other than lotion?

How long ago did you get it? It could be a combination of things. Your artist my have over worked the area, had a bad needle (a needle with a hook or barb) or something like that, or it could be something you've done. If you have pets, you could have gotten pet hair in it while you were sleeping or really anything for that matter, if you haven't been washing it properly. Lotion is only half the battle. If you put lotion on a dirty surface, it is still dirty. If the tattoo or area around the tattoo is red, feel it to see if it is warmer than the unred or "normal" skin. If it is warm you have an infection. I feel this kind of a grey area. You could wash it multiple times a day for a day or two with Antibacterial soap and pat dry with a paper towel, and see if the heat and redness goes away. IF it were me (and keep in mind this is what I do, and I am sure many people will disagree) If the area is still warm to the touch and the redness hasn't lessened after a day or two washing it as I described, I would put Neosporin or any antibiotic ointment on it. Probably twice the first day and two to three time the second day. That should take the heat out of it and reduce the redness. If it does no good and the redness spreads, GO TO THE Doctor for some antibiotics. And just for the hell of it, call your artist, and see what he recommends. And I am sure your artist will be more than happy to do any touch up work that the heavy scabbing may cause. I would much rather get a "touch up" than get a bacterial or staff infection, fo sho. I hope this helps, and I hope I didn't piss too many members off, lol

go back a talk to the guy who did it, it's impossible to accurately troubleshoot something like that over the internet. let the person who did it see it and give you their recommendation, then if it doesn't improve from their suggestion seek others opinions. but seeing it and being able to ask certain questions will go a long way.

I do have to say that my leg tattoo healed very well and with little issue, but I might b the exception.

I would go to the artist as soon as possible. I thought my arm was infected when I saw some scabbing. but the artist said it just healed weird (probably got bumped a few too many times on the subway). I also know that the guy I saw am now goingto is a bit heavy handed as well and it heals alot different than my other tattoos as in they look like all hell for a few days but heal very very well after that.

Just stop in the aritst will want to know if anything is wrong plus they have experience in the area and will have a good idea.

When I was having my shin/calf tattooed I healed very strangely after a while. Red, hot to the touch, swollen, and almost everything thing that tells you the tattoo was infected. Then a week or so later when it peeled and started healing it be fine. Went to three different doctors to see what was up, none of them said infected, one said it was normal, another said a rash, the last said it was bug bites. Never found out why, took a break when my tattooer traveled and when he came back things started to heal perectly fine after.

Sometimes tattoos heal strange I guess, in the future if your worried about a medical question go see a doctor not the Internet.

[edit] I do have a few small holes from where I had small strange pimple like things that were deep enough to pull out the ink, but I'm going to keep them to remind me about hellish healing.

Yes standing all day will have an effect. All the blood and goop being sent to help healing is gonna have a really hard time going back up your leg if you're standing all day. Damn gravity! So all that junk is just sitting around in your ankle causing swelling, redness, itching etc.

• 2 years later...

My ankle tattoos doing something similar, I got it on 5 April and it gets red around it when I'm standing but when I lay down and elevate it looks completely normal it's scabbing fine it's not infected it's not hot I even went to the doctor for it. I think all the standing and moving definitely is hindering the full healing process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 years later...

@MadeIndelibleActually there are Tattoo artist who are heavy handed, and if they are not aware of how much pressure they apply when penetrating the skin, it could cause a series of problems related to infection. A skilled tattoo artist will adjust the tattoo machine to compliment the pressure they apply to the skin. This is how some artist can perform their work on their clients with little to no pain. While others may cause their clients to fill every second of the pressure. Also take into consideration, one's own pain tolerance.  But yes, there are Tattoo artist who are heavy handed, I've experienced both. I'm tatted up from my neck down to my waist. Just got my left leg sleeved 6 DayZ ago. Much Love & Peace