Hopefully, this show will finally make tattoo artist look like real artist, and teach the public the difference between shitty tattoos and good tattoos...

One can only hope (I haven't seen the first one yet, even though it's supposed to have aired already. Did anyone catch it?)

Hopefully, this show will finally make tattoo artist look like real artist, and teach the public the difference between shitty tattoos and good tattoos...

One can only hope (I haven't seen the first one yet, even though it's supposed to have aired already. Did anyone catch it?)

that last dude was such a goober

Hate myself a little bit for knowing this, but i believe she's on one of the "ink" shows, NY ink if memory serves.

Yup, she was on New York (st)Ink. I don't know how Ami got two shows. I don't think he's very good and he's about as boring as they come. The made up drama made LA (st)Ink seem like a Shakespearian masterpiece.

In case any of you were still wondering, I have unfortunately not gotten a call to appear as a canvas for this season. My kim jung il pinup doll giving the 'shocker' and wielding a chainsaw will deplorably go unrealized.

Some douche nozzles just don't recognize true art when they have a chance to immortalize it in ink.. their loss.

CG

In case any of you were still wondering, I have unfortunately not gotten a call to appear as a canvas for this season. My kim jung il pinup doll giving the 'shocker' and wielding a chainsaw will deplorably go unrealized.

Why do i have the sudden urge to commission a painting...

Yup, she was on New York (st)Ink. I don't know how Ami got two shows. I don't think he's very good and he's about as boring as they come. The made up drama made LA (st)Ink seem like a Shakespearian masterpiece.

I won't argue with you about the TV show. I have to disagree with the one part about Ami's tattooing skills, here is a photo of a tattoo he recently finished in Miami, it took him under a month and he texted the pics to a few friends. He is very far from a bad tattooer. FYI: He drew the whole dragon side on with a pen

<script src='http://img831.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=amiuy.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>amiuy.jpg</noscript>

I won't argue with you about the TV show. I have to disagree with the one part about Ami's tattooing skills, here is a photo of a tattoo he recently finished in Miami, it took him under a month and he texted the pics to a few friends. He is very far from a bad tattooer. FYI: He drew the whole dragon side on with a pen

A few clarifications - first, I thought the drama on the show was horrible, the tattooers, except for Ami, I really liked, regardless of their personalities. I didn't say Ami was bad, I said I don't think he's very good. I think there is a lot of ground between bad and average, but I guess not everyone makes a distinction and I could have been more precise. The tattoo you are showing is good and he did a couple of good tattoos on the show, but I also saw a couple that I didn't think were very good and some I thought were average. When I looked at the quality of the other tattooers, I don't think Ami was as good as them, again just my opinion. I used to watch Miami Ink and I didn't like a lot of the tattoos he did on that either.

All just the opinion of some anonymous guy on the internet.

<script src='http://img831.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=amiuy.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>amiuy.jpg</noscript>

I hate seeing tattooing on television other than MAYBE a well done documentary....then again I think you should have to pay to go to an actual tattoo shop and get tattooed and hope someone is willing to share anything with you if you really want to know anything about it....BUT......I have seen a few of Ami's tattoos in person and he is not a bad tattooer! In some ways I wish I could say he was!

I would not add something from him personally.....but his tattoo work looks solid and like it will stand the test of time!

JMHO

:)

I hate seeing tattooing on television other than MAYBE a well done documentary....then again I think you should have to pay to go to an actual tattoo shop and get tattooed and hope someone is willing to share anything with you if you really want to know anything about it....BUT......I have seen a few of Ami's tattoos in person and he is not a bad tattooer! In some ways I wish I could say he was!

I would not add something from him personally.....but his tattoo work looks solid and like it will stand the test of time!

JMHO

:)

Again I can say I agree 100% with you Bunny. I think the biggest problem with tattooing on TV is that TV shows have to be written for a large audience and something like tattooing in its truest form doesn't work for a lot of people. This has more to do with the people really into tattooing are not a very large group to begin with. I could guess that a good 75% minimum of the population would not be a good audience for the type of stuff we at LST truly enjoy and get excited over. This is why I am extremely grateful for LST and videos produced by places like vice.tv, they produce for the people that care and stay true to form. It's sad to say but a lot of people like shitty scripted reality shows regardless of what "foundation" is used (Jersey Shore, UFC, Tattooing, etc). They like to go home crack open a natty ice and watch mindless scripted drama. (no offense intended to people who like reality tv).

As far as Ami as a tattooer, I would say his stuff is solid, but I am not going to get tattooed by him. I have too long a list with too little skin to add anyone else on it. That's nothing against him, I just have my preferences. Although it doesn't sound like a compliment I have seen far far worse that people consider good to say he is anything but good. It more comes down to that last 5% to excellence that I strive to look for in an artist that makes me go elsewhere.

I would have to imagine that getting caught up in the bullsh*t that is TV would have to wear on any tattooist's ability to be consistantly creative. The piece shown above is inspired and I'd be delighted to wear it. On the other hand, there are a couple of other guys in his shop(s) who were more consistantly brilliant.

I would have to imagine that getting caught up in the bullsh*t that is TV would have to wear on any tattooist's ability to be consistantly creative. The piece shown above is inspired and I'd be delighted to wear it. On the other hand, there are a couple of other guys in his shop(s) who were more consistantly brilliant.

Being involved with the filming of a couple of TV shows I can attest to the stupid heavy scripting and insane control the producers have over the content. Maybe @Tim Hendricks could shed some light on the topic.

amiuy.jpg[/url

That looks killer!! I'd have to say I am a bit surprised that Ami did this. It looks different than the color palette Ive seen from him from watching the show. The first name that came to my mind when I saw it was Federico Ferroni, whose work I also really enjoy! Killer! Was a pretty damn good guess though! That's really nice.

Among other things, Ami tattooed along side some of the great New York Adorned tattooers who IMO ARE GREAT at Japanese influenced tattooing along with troy D, Mike R., Garver, Chris O'donnell etc etc. and I think that kind of company pushes you to be a great tattooer....and I think his Japanese is damn good. Just because people dont like that he brought tattooing to shit loads of people/people who wouldn't have cared before doesn't mean hes not a legit tattooer. Would I get a tattoo from him? Prob not, but mainly because I already go to people who completely satisfy my need for that style.

A few clarifications - first, I thought the drama on the show was horrible, the tattooers, except for Ami, I really liked, regardless of their personalities. I didn't say Ami was bad, I said I don't think he's very good. I think there is a lot of ground between bad and average, but I guess not everyone makes a distinction and I could have been more precise. The tattoo you are showing is good and he did a couple of good tattoos on the show, but I also saw a couple that I didn't think were very good and some I thought were average. When I looked at the quality of the other tattooers, I don't think Ami was as good as them, again just my opinion. I used to watch Miami Ink and I didn't like a lot of the tattoos he did on that either.

All just the opinion of some anonymous guy on the internet.

Totally cool. I hope you didn't feel like I was attacking you in any way, it was not my intention. I liked what you had to say and I would never bring any negativity to this forum. You're correct about the tattoos not being the best on the tv shows. Some of the clients they would give us were very hard to work with and wanted really odd tattoos. The phrase "polishing a turd" word come to mind often... It tested ones patience.

I don't feel like you were attacking me and if anyone brought negativity to the forum it was me. In re-reading my posts, I think I was too harsh, but unfortunately I can't delete the posts. I need to learn to think a little harder before I post something. Not that Ami cares what some guy on the internet says about him, but I feel bad that I came off like I did and can only offer an apology about that. I won't try to fix it as I'll likely just continue to make things worst. It's too bad they can't have a show about tattooing without all the made up drama. To someone who has been a part of the tattooing culture for a very long time, the daily mechanics of giving and getting a tattoo may seem old hat, but to someone relatively new to tattoos, it's very interesting.

to me, tv for adults at this point is the interweb. lots of good stuff out there if you search for it and it requires a little more effort than the remote tapping that any monkey could do. not saying everything you find will be a gem but really is the only current alternative to the mindless zombie box that is programming the masses. resist, evolve, be happy.

I think Ami like a lot of the people bringing tattooing to the forefront is a capable tattooer or better but consistency suffers when you're playing to the camera, polishing and keeping up the persona that keeps you on tv, not to mention have a camera crew over your shoulder, big equipment all in the way...pointing no fingers, It has to be said that the whole tv circus environment has to take the focus off of the actual work. Documenting what someone is doing, with respect to the process is one thing -- putting them on a stage or in the middle of a three ring circus is something else. The only finger I can point is at the people who are willing to trade in consistency and quality for celebrity. What's bad for the individual tattoo is bad for tattoo as a whole. Respect the craft, respect the client and hold the whole entertainment industry suspect. It's not their job to take care of tattooing for us.