I don't think anyone won this year. I can't believe that knucklehead Sebastian put that trash on the woman's back who was worried about the tattoo being too masculine. I see a potential lazer removal client there. Sarah's was OK, but nothing special and Steve's was OK, but I wouldn't want it on my back. All in all a pretty disappointing season, mostly for the "human canvases." They had absolutely no excuses with 24 hours to work and total control over what they did. Last year's three finalists did some awesome tattoos, at least from this layman's prospective.

I don't think anyone won this year. I can't believe that knucklehead Sebastian put that trash on the woman's back who was worried about the tattoo being too masculine. I see a potential lazer removal client there. Sarah's was OK, but nothing special and Steve's was OK, but I wouldn't want it on my back. All in all a pretty disappointing season, mostly for the "human canvases." They had absolutely no excuses with 24 hours to work and total control over what they did. Last year's three finalists did some awesome tattoos, at least from this layman's prospective.

my gf and i kept saying the same thing about that woman's back. what a piece of shit that guy is.

When she saw what he had drawn she should have told him she left something in the car and would be right back ... not!

In the end, in most cases we are all responsible for what goes on our skin. If someone wants to do something that we feel we can't live with we should get up and walk. I'd rather have a half-done tattoo than a half-ass tattoo. The less done, the easier the coverup.

^agree. dont know how i feel about newschool, and jesse wasnt versatile, but he was probably more talented than the rest (at what he does, atleast)..

tell me about it, that portrait he did was horrendous. but I guess that goes to show he should become a specialty artist instead of versatile....

that one tattoo of Yoda that was done by Tattoo Baby was amazing, hell, I am not the biggest fan of Star Wars and I would get that done

All 3 tattoos... meh... nothing even close to great. Oh that poor lady's back... she should have him shot just on general principles.

24 hours worth of ink should have looked better than any of those by a mile.

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone watching the finale today?

Cant believe Tatu Baby got booted after the artists made some valid points. Sebastian never won a challenge, has always been average. Sebastian cant make a tattoo for his life. Unbelievable.

I liked Tatu Baby... she did some solid work there. Sebastian, I had him out of there 2 weeks ago, he just managed to crank out middle of the road work and stayed under the radar.

Rob

Every time I come to the forum this thread is on the front page. I'm suprised that this thread is getting more attention than others on this forum. It's dissapointing.

This show does nothing but give the art another black eye. The drama is embarrasing. Oliver Peck (whom I like) should be kicked in the nuts for being part of this fucking circus. Dave Nevarro is now a joke to me.

I have several nice pieces from chest to toe and in real life I am a professional, now I get to work harder to prove to others that tattooists and our lifestyle are not a bunch of idiots.

- - - Updated - - -

Every time I come to the forum this thread is on the front page. I'm suprised that this thread is getting more attention than others on this forum. It's dissapointing.

This show does nothing but give the art another black eye. The drama is embarrasing. Oliver Peck (whom I like) should be kicked in the nuts for being part of this fucking circus. Dave Nevarro is now a joke to me.

I have several nice pieces from chest to toe and in real life I am a professional, now I get to work harder to prove to others that tattooists and our lifestyle are not a bunch of idiots.

I like this thread because I hate the show.

I hate Lady Face Navarro.

I hate the clients that get tattooed.

I hate the editors and producers, the advertisers and the viewers.

Yet I watch it. Every week.

So this thread gives me more to talk about than 'my next tattoo will be' or 'did you see that photo on instagram' or whatever.

I like this thread because I hate the show.

I hate Lady Face Navarro.

I hate the clients that get tattooed.

I hate the editors and producers, the advertisers and the viewers.

Yet I watch it. Every week.

So this thread gives me more to talk about than 'my next tattoo will be' or 'did you see that photo on instagram' or whatever.

LADY FACE NAVARRO! Best name. I caved and watched this season up to the Rubendall episode. It's pure entertainment and should be treated as such.. just such a huge bummer that these people are receiving such bad tattoos. I was shouting at the TV before the first episode was over..

- - - Updated - - -

People are always going to have an inaccurate representation of tattooers and the tattoo lifestyle. I don't think this show started it, the world is full of mediocre and bad tattooers who are completely delusional with over inflated egos, this show just happens to give those people 15 mins of pseudo fame. But I don't even know if this could be considered Z list celebrity status, the contestants are pretty forgettable and at best have a short career headlining traveling tattoo conventions.

Why does it really matter what people think about the lifestyle. People who are serious about tattooing whether it be clients, or tattooers understand the hierarchy and where this show place is in it. People who aren't into it probably already have their per-conceived notions or don't really care one way or another.

I have had to listen to plenty of customers rattle off their interpretation of what happened on last weeks inkmaster, and a lot of them are completely clueless about a lot of things, but most of them understand that these people aren't that good and are full of themselves. All I really have to do to give tattooing a better perception amongst them is just not act like the contestants. And as annoying as listening to this stuff, if people watch a show about tattooing and it makes them want to get tattooed, I am not going to complain.

For the record there are hundreds of threads about who is the best tattooer, favorite tattooer, who's doing your next tattoo, a thread for each genre of tattoo, a thread for each animal that people get tattooed, and so on. If you added up all the activity of these threads you would probably see how little people really talk about this show in comparision. But really why wouldn't we talk about this show. This season alone has had Rubendall, Jack Rudy, Richard Stell, and Forrest Cavacco judging tattoos. I don't know one person in tattooing who hasn't watched one episode (most have watched more, but some will only admit to watching it once).

People are always going to have an inaccurate representation of tattooers and the tattoo lifestyle. I don't think this show started it, the world is full of mediocre and bad tattooers who are completely delusional with over inflated egos, this show just happens to give those people 15 mins of pseudo fame. But I don't even know if this could be considered Z list celebrity status, the contestants are pretty forgettable and at best have a short career headlining traveling tattoo conventions.

Why does it really matter what people think about the lifestyle. People who are serious about tattooing whether it be clients, or tattooers understand the hierarchy and where this show place is in it. People who aren't into it probably already have their per-conceived notions or don't really care one way or another.

I have had to listen to plenty of customers rattle off their interpretation of what happened on last weeks inkmaster, and a lot of them are completely clueless about a lot of things, but most of them understand that these people aren't that good and are full of themselves. All I really have to do to give tattooing a better perception amongst them is just not act like the contestants. And as annoying as listening to this stuff, if people watch a show about tattooing and it makes them want to get tattooed, I am not going to complain.

For the record there are hundreds of threads about who is the best tattooer, favorite tattooer, who's doing your next tattoo, a thread for each genre of tattoo, a thread for each animal that people get tattooed, and so on. If you added up all the activity of these threads you would probably see how little people really talk about this show in comparision. But really why wouldn't we talk about this show. This season alone has had Rubendall, Jack Rudy, Richard Stell, and Forrest Cavacco judging tattoos. I don't know one person in tattooing who hasn't watched one episode (most have watched more, but some will only admit to watching it once).

David, I sure appreciate your thoughts and must say its nice to have a discussion on a forum without anyone getting mad or taking the subject personal.

As I agree with the heart of your post and the fact there are mediocre tattoo artists as well as mediocre work in any profession from health care to land scapers. I also agree that this show did not start the rep for the industry(good or bad) but certainly does not help it. I believe that the one and only thing it does teach is what to look for in good work much like looking at a home builders completed homes.

I also agree that there is a % of people that this show will not affect one way or another but I certainly dont see anyone on the "fence" getting any work done due to airing the pathetic drama that reality tv addicts crave from week to week. That is what I disagree with. There are many of us, and I would assume the honorable Mr Flores would agree:), that wish we could get away from the petty fights, insults from contestants, pshyco artists, etc. and just have a legit show on the work.

As you mentioned, there have and will be great judges throughout the show whom I have mucho respect for but, I long for criticism and praise without the sarcasm, petty comments, or acting like a spoiled child from the contestants. I suspect they could judge a show with professionals as easy or easier and we could spend more time appreciating the work for ourselves and learning. I sure could learn more from any of the judges spending more time discussing than a break away to artist telling each other that they are going to kick each others ass. Right?

My social circle of artists and friends do not act like this, nor do we allow ourselves to be exposed to adults that have the inability to police themselves in a social situation. Much like men and women in any profession that take their industry seriously and act professional, they should too.

I honestly dont care what people think about tattooing or me, and never have. I have been judged my entire life by many that have no idea what I have done, who I am and where I am going. At 43, I can hold my head higher than many and honestly could care less.

If anything, I hate TV and the uneducated douche puddles that create controversy for shock value and ratings. You know as well as I that there is potential for a reality drama in ANY profession, no matter if the subject matter is surgeons, housewives, little people, alt lifestyles, hookers, etc.

Again, I honestly see your side and appreciate the discussion. I suppose just take this show personally(and thats my hangup) much like true bike builders who dont like to watch American Choppers to watch a Father and Son act like they do week after week, they just want to see the builds.

Have a great day David.

David, I sure appreciate your thoughts and must say its nice to have a discussion on a forum without anyone getting mad or taking the subject personal.

As I agree with the heart of your post and the fact there are mediocre tattoo artists as well as mediocre work in any profession from health care to land scapers. I also agree that this show did not start the rep for the industry(good or bad) but certainly does not help it. I believe that the one and only thing it does teach is what to look for in good work much like looking at a home builders completed homes.

I also agree that there is a % of people that this show will not affect one way or another but I certainly dont see anyone on the "fence" getting any work done due to airing the pathetic drama that reality tv addicts crave from week to week. That is what I disagree with. There are many of us, and I would assume the honorable Mr Flores would agree:), that wish we could get away from the petty fights, insults from contestants, pshyco artists, etc. and just have a legit show on the work.

As you mentioned, there have and will be great judges throughout the show whom I have mucho respect for but, I long for criticism and praise without the sarcasm, petty comments, or acting like a spoiled child from the contestants. I suspect they could judge a show with professionals as easy or easier and we could spend more time appreciating the work for ourselves and learning. I sure could learn more from any of the judges spending more time discussing than a break away to artist telling each other that they are going to kick each others ass. Right?

My social circle of artists and friends do not act like this, nor do we allow ourselves to be exposed to adults that have the inability to police themselves in a social situation. Much like men and women in any profession that take their industry seriously and act professional, they should too.

I honestly dont care what people think about tattooing or me, and never have. I have been judged my entire life by many that have no idea what I have done, who I am and where I am going. At 43, I can hold my head higher than many and honestly could care less.

If anything, I hate TV and the uneducated douche puddles that create controversy for shock value and ratings. You know as well as I that there is potential for a reality drama in ANY profession, no matter if the subject matter is surgeons, housewives, little people, alt lifestyles, hookers, etc.

Again, I honestly see your side and appreciate the discussion. I suppose just take this show personally(and thats my hangup) much like true bike builders who dont like to watch American Choppers to watch a Father and Son act like they do week after week, they just want to see the builds.

Have a great day David.

Thanks for your response, I definitely see your viewpoint and for the most part we are totally on the same page. Even though I watch this show doesn't mean it doesn't infuriate me, especially when you see projects that people spend some much time and put so much passion into like tattoo age, get so little mainstream attention. There just isn't enough people out there I guess to justify a show about tattooing, I think the same goes for most things. If the show about Crab Fisherman made all the crab fishermen happy it would probably bore us to death.

What it comes down is tattoos have become so popular with a large group of people, who don't really like tattoos. I am sure we could talk for days about what is wrong with this show and people in general.

I hope you have a happy holiday

Dave

I'd be more into watching a show with a better selection of artists. Why not drum up the best of the best... or maybe they wouldn't be seen on the show?

But to stack the deck with only a few aces and the rest being jokers doesn't do anything positive for the industry. Early on you pretty much know who the final few will be.

Rob

I think I've mentioned this before, but I heard from an artist on Season two about how heavily edited they were. You shoot tons of footage and use the best of the worst to 'create a show' that has 'villains' and drama and tension. You're also coached on things to say. You look like a giant ass on tv, but... after the show airs... you find your appointment book is a little fuller, even though you looked like a giant ass on tv.

Turning a culture into a commodity isn't new, its just affecting us a little closer to the chest because... well.. it's us. We had to bleed for these damned things. We had to get stared at in line at the bank. We have to answer the litany of dumb questions on a daily basis... "why yes ma'am, it did hurt" and "yes, I AM tattooed other places... wait, we mean my dick, right?"...

Im kind of biased though... I grew up on Royboy videos. Tattooers hated them, too, but.... damn they were fun.

I should mention that a tattooer friend asked me to write some Inkmaster erotic fan fiction that he's going to illustrate and we're going to accidentally leave at tattoo conventions the 'stars' are at. If he ever finishes the first chapter I'll write more.

Kay Kutta and Sarah Miller are in it. "Penetrated by more than your needles" comes up a lot. Because we think it's ok to make fun of people we don't know. People who may be genuinely nice. Because we're children. :D

Why not drum up the best of the best... or maybe they wouldn't be seen on the show?

From what I understand the producers have contacted quite a few talented artists to be contestants on the show but they've declined. I imagine once you're established it could be seen as kind of a step down. But with amateur and mediocre artists they see any publicity as good publicity. They are also naive enough to not know how bad they are. Dunning Kruger effect.