Personally I don't totally agree ,and think a lot of what's going on right now the distinction is really blurred . I think Horiyoshi III's post 80's to more recent stuff looks more Western and guys like Ivan Szazi and Chris Brand as examples more Japanese than some Japanese if that makes sense .

Not to go into much detail but it is about ratios. Yes, horiyoshi 2 is who I think is most Japanese than horiyoshi 3's style.

Filip and mick and shige is more European Japanese.

Brand did Ben grillos back right?

I think that American (or European) Japanese is a totally different thing than Japanese Japanese...
I think Horiyoshi III's post 80's to more recent stuff looks more Western and guys like Ivan Szazi and Chris Brand as examples more Japanese than some Japanese if that makes sense .

This would actually make a great thread.

Those two guys put in the work. Nunez may be still learning but I still would not mind him tattooing me. He is not the best but it is also not something that is done 100 percent correct to Japanese culture. Ed did it the best and people followed his lead.

I think I make a fast judgment when I think about Nunez. Most of his work that I know is a little older. I need to see some of his newer work to make a better opinion.

Also, in the discussion between Japanese Japanese and American Japanese...I prefer Japanes work to be very traditional Japanese. I absolutely love the more American stuff, but I feel that the magic of Japanese tattooing is based in the rich culture, history, and guidelines involved. When stuff gets more american, to me it loses touch with the part of Japanese tattoos I love.

There are plenty of people who do visually fantastic Japanese of all flavors...the stuff I like the best is the stuff that I know the time and energy has been put in to make it as true to tradition as possible.

I'm super interested in this stuff too. @Dhopper, when you say ratios, do you mean: "one third black, one third color, one third skin" -- cos that's something I've heard, but I guess it doesn't just apply to Japanese. I love Shige's work, but his tattoos are so dense, there's barely any skin showing -- so does that make his style less "traditional?" I'm not a tattoo artist, just trying to soak up knowledge wherever I can find it.

I'm super interested in this stuff too. @Dhopper, when you say ratios, do you mean: "one third black, one third color, one third skin" -- cos that's something I've heard, but I guess it doesn't just apply to Japanese. I love Shige's work, but his tattoos are so dense, there's barely any skin showing -- so does that make his style less "traditional?" I'm not a tattoo artist, just trying to soak up knowledge wherever I can find it.

Yes I have heard of that ratio. I don't know because I am not a Japanese tattooer. People on here should not be giving technical info on a public forum. Example why is a guy that just bought a kit and now is on this forum! My kit was a rollomatic, Dan Dringenberg grips and tips, and a Tattooer that was telling me what I am doing wrong and why! In a tattoo shop!

Why do you do this..... Why does it run like this..... Answer- shut the fuck up and watch! Don't talk and just listen!

I digress..

This should be another thread anyways!

Dave Navarro rules! Haha:o

Again -- not an artist, not fishing for technical stuff, and I def don't want to break any board rules. Just really into looking at Japanese-style tattoos and plotting my next big piece. I follow caliseowin and his awesome library of Japanese prints on Instagram -- and now that you can look at IG on the computer instead of a tiny phone screen, I can see way more details.

My understanding is that it all goes back the woodblocks, and that's why say water or a cherry blossom is depicted in a certain way. But obviously there's way more to it than that. And yes, this should be it's own thread.

You go to the right artist, they will do it right. If you want Japanese traditionally done, i believe you would need to ask someone off the forum because it is a lot of stuff not easily just spoken. I think you need visuals too. I am not by any means an expert on anything tattoo related. See Trevino, Lehi, Rubendall, Brian Bruno, or get in contact with someone that could enlighten you, like a guy at state of grace, or Alex reike, filip leu. Just look at at Taki's people that do the San Fran convention there is bound to be someone. But this thread is about ink masters tv show. To love or hate!

• 2 months later...
You know what.... TIME shows you either know how to get it done, and you do, or you don't... Oliver is a fast tattooer, he was taught that way. besides a time limit also shows who does stuff out of the comfy zone well and who doesn't...

like the dude that could draw the Fu dog but couldn't tattoo it... I'll watch it, Oliver is family. I'm proud...

side note: pointing out problems with the tattoos educates everyones future clients.... my two cents

I agree with you on pointing out issues that may be had. It is best to point them out now, then to wait until it is too late, am I wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

I personally dont like to watch those shows and dont agree with them. Tattooing shouldnt be a competition in the aspect of a tv show and time limits and to win a cover shot on a tattoo magizine. Competitive tattooing is fine, but in the right way. Taking your time to create the best piece you can and going to a convention and entering it the contests there.

One tattoo reality show that I do personally think is worth watching is Megan Massacres show Tattoo Nightmare. They do some amazing cover ups on that show!

A lot of people speak badly about the amazing artists that are the judges of those shows like Oliver Peck, Chris Nunez, etc, but at least they have great tattooers judging the work! I will say that I do like that aspect of the show. Not to mention some of the artists on the show are really good but I dont agree with the premisise of the show.

One tattoo reality show that I do personally think is worth watching is Megan Massacres show Tattoo Nightmare. They do some amazing cover ups on that show!

I've watched that show and when they show the completed coverup my first thought is "okay now show me how you are going to coverup the coverup"