A. Next week Shane says "I didn't come here to make friends". We know how I feel about this.

B. For the last census, I identified as an Eskimo just to 'hack' the census and make the numbers screwy. I think some of us should try to get on the show, be model 'human canvases' for the interview, then just be total douche customers when our time comes.

Shawn to tattooer: Dude, no disrespect, but you smell like taco meat.

i gotta say it... you sir are now my idol for this genius idea

I want to go on the show, and show up the first day with muffins, and be like "I came here to make friends, anybody want some moose meat?"

Every tattoo you do has to have my birth date in it.

"So, I put 8/2 in it because this dude who thinks you smell like taco meat was born on August 2nd. That's cool, right? right?"

I'm a huge competitive cooking show fan; Iron Chef, Chopped, Best Restaurant etc... so I guess I shouldn't be so offended that there's a competitive tattoo show... but why does it have to be so fucking BAD?

i'm signing up for human canvas, what tattoo should i go for? and what horribly trite backstory should i give?

I'm favoring a portrait of Paris Hilton, or something similarly ridiculous

Get a caricature of Snooki from Jersey Shore eating a pickle.The reason your getting it is because you have a thing for pickles,and you love eating meatballs.

I went for a pinup version of kim jung il with a chainsaw in one hand and making the shocker with the other hand. the explanation follows.

I think that people need to understand the barbarity of the North Korean regime. Now that he is dead it is important for us never to forget it. The chainsaw represents the lives he has sacrificed and the shocker gesture is to underline the truly 'shocking' legacy of violence and ignorance he has left the world.

The fact that he is a pinup girls is to underline the age old concept of wolf in sheep's clothing, the perceived positive aspects of conformity and solidarity contrasted with the horrible crimes humanity has suffered at his hands.

I am using this tattoo as an opportunity to show the world something very near to my heart, human rights, and to honor my mother, who is a major supporter of my struggle to secure a decent life for everyone on G-d's green Earth.

(i tried to hit on all the important LA ink points)

Shane's pin up vs. Mo Malone's...

106IinkMASTER_2.jpg?width=584&quality=0.91

moMalone.jpg

the shoes...the dress...

If you are trying to say he ripped it off, I think that would be a hard sell. The tattoos look way different and yes the pose is similar, but it has been done a thousand times and most importantly neither of them made it up. I am not sure who did, but if I had to bet I would go with someone like Vargas or Elvgren or someone of that genre.

I cant describe.I dont give a fuck about for navaro,hes just promoting his new work i guess and i dont think that he should feel any responsibility for my profession but the other two guys dont they know that they re fucking the business?I cant imagine people start judging the tattoos like they do on that show.Maybe i m wrong and i have to call my customer Human Canvanses...Fuck

If you are trying to say he ripped it off, I think that would be a hard sell. The tattoos look way different and yes the pose is similar, but it has been done a thousand times and most importantly neither of them made it up. I am not sure who did, but if I had to bet I would go with someone like Vargas or Elvgren or someone of that genre.

How about this though- how does that pose have anything to do with a woman singing into a microphone? Like how the hell would that happen to her dress and why would she be standing like that in the first place?

It's not a drawing contest- it's a tattooing contest----- and a visually attractive and commercially marketable contest as well.

I was talking to my husband after watching the result portion of a few of the episodes, and based on the work shown I felt confident that I could "out tattoo" them so to speak. And he pointed out that I would never get chosen for the show because of a number of factors, the number one being that i'm not relevant in today's market.

I'm old(er), chubbier and less model like than the participants.

These factors may fly with a male contestant or judge, but never a female.

There goes my hundred grand ):

I don't have television for the reason of shows like these. I'm still an apprentice, have been for the past 4 years and I know I may not know a whole hell of a lot yet but I try to read as much as possible, talk with older folks, and find as much as I can. I feel as though shows like this portray tattoo artists as a joke. They over dramatize the industry for ratings and make every viewer an expert on tattoos. I work with great people who've been tattooing for many many years and I respect the hell out of them and to see something that they've worked their whole lives for and that we all love shown as a high school sissy fighting contest I feel saddened. Not to mention that being as how people aren't exactly the smartest these days and no one tries to find anything out for themselves they just listen to the television.. we have a barrage of arrogant asshole customers thinking they know better than us and that everything should only take "15 minutes". This show is just another recycled piece of crap like all the rest, top chef,next top model, etc. My thought is if you don't like whats going on, than turn off the television once ratings go down things go away. Just my two cents.

cheers,

krista

It's not a drawing contest- it's a tattooing contest----- and a visually attractive and commercially marketable contest as well.

I was talking to my husband after watching the result portion of a few of the episodes, and based on the work shown I felt confident that I could "out tattoo" them so to speak. And he pointed out that I would never get chosen for the show because of a number of factors, the number one being that i'm not relevant in today's market.

I'm old(er), chubbier and less model like than the participants.

These factors may fly with a male contestant or judge, but never a female.

There goes my hundred grand ):

Make your 100 grand the old fashion way.....earn it....and with that you earn respect too!

And you and others have done that! (Earned the respect of their peers)

No matter what craft you are a part of there is no short cut to the top!

And fame that comes fast seems to have very limited shelf life!

I hate these shows....and I personally believe they do more overall harm than good!

If people don't agree then I respect that as their opinion....but you won't change my mind about my view on it all!

:)

I think whether these types of shows are good or bad depends on one's processing of what they see. E.g. if you see someone smash a bug in the street does it make you want to go around smashing bugs or saving bugs? (Rhetorical question).

For me, these shows raise awareness on what makes a good tattoo good and what makes a good tattooer a good artist. Regardless of who wins I won't necessarily believe they are the best tattooer in the world. I probably wont even believe they are the besttattooer of those 10. i.e. I would go to Josh Woods before any of them if I wanted a cartoony, color bomb kind of tattoo. Horses for courses...

Anyway, I actually like the show and for the most part I think the judges booted the artists in the proper order and in accordance with the guidelines of the contest.

the only thing that has come to light for me is , that some," great" tattoo artists aren't very diverse. And that pressure will never produce your best work.

That's true of any vocation once the level of 'artistry' is attained. Musicians, painters, sculptors, doctors, lawyers, but until then the best you can hope for is being a good copyist or practitioner.

Imagine going to a brain surgeon and asking him how to handle a hyperactive five year old. Personally, I am perfectly fine with tattoo artists having specialties. Its the ones that say/think they can do it all that make me leery.

hhmmmm....not sure I agree. It seems to me that tattooers used to have a style, which is really just a personality. in the last 15 to 20 yrs it seems to have become'' specialties''.... maybe that's just my personal copout, having always takin walkins in street shops. yeah youre probably right,my mentor ,GTC truly stunk at color, he hated it. I never really was able to ''get it'' until I was around ''colorists''.But back to the point ,...these shows ,are about diversity. Painting,etc. Maybe I should have stuck to signpainting,which Ive done since I was 12. I didnt start Tattooing till I was 24. And I still feel only, proficent.

That's true of any vocation once the level of 'artistry' is attained. Musicians, painters, sculptors, doctors, lawyers, but until then the best you can hope for is being a good copyist or practitioner.

Imagine going to a brain surgeon and asking him how to handle a hyperactive five year old. Personally, I am perfectly fine with tattoo artists having specialties. Its the ones that say/think they can do it all that make me leery.