good morning yall....yeah.. so the Shane guy won the prize...that doesnt make him a nice person. I will say , he is quite the technician. As far as this whole squabbly discussion goes, and yeah ,I stirred it up a little, thats what entertainments all about right? If you let me upset you I got your attention . Freddy... I worked for Freddy for a minute when he first opened Temple. I hadnt seen him in yrs. Last christmas I swung by his shop. after roughly 13 yrs of not seeing him he treated me with open arms like a good friend. Im not saying we're the best of friends. Im saying he is one of the sweetest people Ive known. Open heart. This has nothing todo with technical abilities. In these days of ''human canvases'', what a discusting crock that is....... Lets not forget. you gotta like that shithead behind the needle.... otherwise you are just a starf#cker. I left this biz for a lot of years. Yeah...out of total frustration. I ve had some friends in this biz that are now ''important'' characters. They have helped me recently with open arms. Not because Im a great tattooer, not because Im a name, ( don t get me wrong , I know I m neither), but because I never f#cked em, because Im OK. I try not to be a dick. Because I care about this shit. I know not to give it away. I currently tattoo in Foley AL theres not a lot of talent here , But the crappy little shop I work in recently had somebody with talent come to work there and stay, he says ,to work around me. We are brutally honest with each other, Im getting better, and so is he. We help each other. And the people in this place are getting OK tattoos. So..... If you think I shouldnt try my hardest to do what i can, with what Ive got, and do right to those that want it, you are a damn fool. Its a big world... for every 20 scratchers there's somebody like me, trying as hard as i can, knowing damn well,I'll never be on MTV. I could give a shit less, I sleep well.

To be honest, I always don't like the high art status that tattooing has these days, just because it comes as a double edged sword. You have more people getting good work, but the flipside is that the OK work (as Shannon put it) is looked down upon. Attitudes can be too artsy for my liking (not refering to you giles). There are people behind the ink afterall

thank you....Ed started this shit. don't get me wrong ,ya gotta love Ed. but, Now everybodys a damn expert. I dont think they listen well.....Who interviewed Stoney ,while Les held the camera?.It reminds me of how a preacher will take bits and pieces to make it suit his needs. Ed appreciated all of it...If you dont believe me,Ask him........P.S. If he didn't why did he publish my 1st wife's dribble she calls books....hhehehe.....yeah ,lookit up....Margo DeMello. And If she says that first book didnt come from my thoughts ,shes a liar.

To be honest, I always don't like the high art status that tattooing has these days, just because it comes as a double edged sword. You have more people getting good work, but the flipside is that the OK work (as Shannon put it) is looked down upon. Attitudes can be too artsy for my liking (not refering to you giles). There are people behind the ink afterall

Mark my words......Its the next TV show...they re probably already workin on it.....I'll call It ''Ol Bastards'' .....After the competition is over, you gotta fist fight the 70 yr ol bastard....for the money..we'll see how that goes. hehehe So,there you go.....New thread....Who's the best Tattooer youve been tattooed by , over the age of 60 , that you know , could kick yer ass?

I love this Eisen...good art will never be technically the best....good art has character, soul. what makes a better story? I got tattooed by a great artist, we had capachinnos and discussed Vivaldi. .....I got tattooed by a good ol man, we went out later and got our asses kicked. This who's the best crap is lame and only for the snobbish.

I have tattoos with some poor lines and prob paid alot in some peoples eye, but the tattoo has power and soul and is one of my favorite tattoos ever. I dont need perfection, I just need the tattoo I want.

And for the record, Ive got no axe to grind either. I am just offering my opinion and perspective in a forum, where I would hope to be the place for it. I've never overtly disrespected anyone with name calling or cursing. I just have a strong opinion on business practices in general and on how to elevate the art form. As Petri said, some people want to keep it old-school, keep it exclusive, underground and 'rock star cool'.

Shannon, I respect your perspective and your desire to improve your work and to better the trade/profession/art. I dig that.

There was a time people would have never considered paying $5 for a cup of coffee. The people that pay that nowadays expect more than a cup of dark, hot liquid. Much the same way I expect a bit more when I pay a tattoo artist whatever he asks for his work. "To whom much is given, much is required."

But, yeah, I think the right guy won Ink Master last night. I wished Josh would have placed higher, but I think the judges got it right. Shane is a bad ass, as is Tommy. James does his thing too. I enjoyed the show, though there are some aspects of it that could be improved.

I love this Eisen...good art will never be technically the best....good art has character, soul. what makes a better story? I got tattooed by a great artist, we had capachinnos and discussed Vivaldi. .....I got tattooed by a good ol man, we went out later and got our asses kicked. This who's the best crap is lame and only for the snobbish.

The artist Im talking about...i think is pretty "big" without being a mainstream TV tattooer. Hes never claimed to have the best lines or best anything, but he does what he does well and pushes his work all the time. As a testament to that you see people copy it all the time...often people copy it and clean up/overly perfect many aspects but in that remove all the character/soul and feeling to the tattoo. Naming names and calling things out is pointless. Recently reading the internet in regards to tattooing has really bummed me out, lots of shit talking. Too much competitive tattooing and hater bullshit. Nothing constructive whatsoever. LST is basicly the only place that I have found thats enjoyable to be a part of.

Need to watch the finale. Haven't read through all 34 pages, as I've just found the forum, but I enjoyed the show. Not saying it's quality TV but it's entertainment. You do get to see the differences of good/bad tattoo's but I don't think it reflects on the artist like some people may think. Anyways, I'll have to reply when I watch this tonight.

In the end, what they got after most of those guys (& gals) for was simple (to an artist that practices) anatomy and basic art 101, not so much technical tattoo application.

very true but, they didnt ment once or twice about how certain tattoos werent gonna heal right. i also think that this show can potentially damage the participants more than help them(i said this in an earlier post) and the last thing we need is a bunch of clients thinking they can analyze what it is we just did to them cause they saw this show on tv. it would get annoying quick if i had to micromanaged by someone who thinks dave navarro taught them something. so maybe its better for us that they leave the "technical ability" critiques alone

Second post for me. Can't start another thread yet. I really liked the show. Yes, it was hokey and the drama was dumb and they didn't show much of the actual artwork being done...but holy hell does it have me motivated to get another tattoo. I would love to get something elaborate like the stuff they did, but I'm a little concerned because some of the work on the show was just crap. I am no tattoo expert, but even I could tell that some of those guys were not great. And if those artists are supposed to be some of the best in the business, what kind of quality can I expect from my local shop? Just like every "reality" competition show, I'm sure follow-on season will have better talent.

Since I can't start my own thread yet, can anyone recommend a good shop in the San Diego/North County area?

And if those artists are supposed to be some of the best in the business, what kind of quality can I expect from my local shop?

Since I can't start my own thread yet, can anyone recommend a good shop in the San Diego/North County area?

Don't use a shitty TV show to gauge the best of the business. Those tattooers were picked by TV producers for their differing levels of tattooing.

If you're in San Diego, go to Flying Panther. Ben Grillo spends half his time there and does some killer black and grey and has been dabbling on some sweet traditional. Dominic Vasquez pretty much does it all but I think he's best at Japanese tattoos and the owner, Rob, gets down on the traditional. No matter the style you're looking for there'll be someone there that can do it for you very well. The combined talent there shits all over the cast of Ink Masters ten fold.

Second post for me. Can't start another thread yet. I really liked the show. Yes, it was hokey and the drama was dumb and they didn't show much of the actual artwork being done...but holy hell does it have me motivated to get another tattoo. I would love to get something elaborate like the stuff they did, but I'm a little concerned because some of the work on the show was just crap. I am no tattoo expert, but even I could tell that some of those guys were not great. And if those artists are supposed to be some of the best in the business, what kind of quality can I expect from my local shop? Just like every "reality" competition show, I'm sure follow-on season will have better talent.

While I am far far from any kind of expert on tattoos I will throw in my two cents just for kicks. I would say that any tattoo show you see will almost 80% not correlate to the experience of getting a tattoo in real life. I will say that while the last few tattooers on the show were pretty good, I wouldn't say they are the "best in the business" (I know art is subjective). In my experience there is little talking during a tattoo, no sob story to tell them, etc etc. I've been in a TV show (shitty shitty MTV pilot) and I know how they structure the participants/events...its to entertain not inform.

I would check around on this forum as there are a ton of good suggestions (hell I got a few good suggestions from here, and getting tattooed by a member in less than a month!). I would also run the thought through your mind if you are willing to travel and if so how far.