Oliver does make a point about Navarro. I mean for example Joe Rogan getting a sleeve by one guy is essentially getting one tattoo. Basically your scope of knowledge about tattooing would be limited to the one shop and one tattooer who tattooed you. Even if Navarro's tattoo design choices aren't in line with what I would get, spending 20 years getting tattooed by guys like Roberts, Negrete, and Mahoney among others makes a solid case for being a non tattooer judge.

On the other hand, getting a bunch of tiny, solid black tattoos with zero background tying any of them together (all I can see on Navarro. I still don't get who gets a simple set of the four logos of the suites in cards, but doesn't even make the red ones red, but to each his own) doesn't make you particularly more qualified to judge things like how it flows on body parts, use of colour, shading, blending, contrast, how to work a 5 hour long session, etc..., all things the guy with the full sleeve may be more in tune with, maybe. I do agree that being exposed to so many top tattooers probably helps, specially if you pay attention to what else is going on in their shop when you're there.

Let's be honest, the "celebrity judge" is just there to get a name tied to the show that people who aren't involved in/know anything about tattooing know about. Best Ink has some girl I've never heard of who claims she is "business in the front, party in the back" when she turned around and showed two small pieces (one all lettering) on her shoulders. I suspect executives know who she is, and they are the ones who think that'll bring more viewers. I'm sure most of us would much rather see Paul Booth host, but we are probably less than 1% of their target demographics.

. Best Ink has some girl I've never heard of who claims she is "business in the front, party in the back" when she turned around and showed two small pieces (one all lettering) on her shoulders. I suspect executives know who she is, and they are the ones who think that'll bring more viewers. I'm sure most of us would much rather see Paul Booth host, but we are probably less than 1% of their target demographics.

I recall an interview with Ed Hardy when he described himself as "Stock standard on the outside ,but stripped down under-neath the bonnet ,like a hot-rod "

On the other hand, getting a bunch of tiny, solid black tattoos with zero background tying any of them together (all I can see on Navarro. I still don't get who gets a simple set of the four logos of the suites in cards, but doesn't even make the red ones red, but to each his own) doesn't make you particularly more qualified to judge things like how it flows on body parts, use of colour, shading, blending, contrast, how to work a 5 hour long session, etc..., all things the guy with the full sleeve may be more in tune with, maybe. I do agree that being exposed to so many top tattooers probably helps, specially if you pay attention to what else is going on in their shop when you're there.

Let's be honest, the "celebrity judge" is just there to get a name tied to the show that people who aren't involved in/know anything about tattooing know about. Best Ink has some girl I've never heard of who claims she is "business in the front, party in the back" when she turned around and showed two small pieces (one all lettering) on her shoulders. I suspect executives know who she is, and they are the ones who think that'll bring more viewers. I'm sure most of us would much rather see Paul Booth host, but we are probably less than 1% of their target demographics.

Good Points. Celebrity host is just so viewers have a familiar face, since most people without tattoos don't follow careers of tattooers. I guess as far as judging I guess it just depends on the person. Even people that get tattooed by good people don't necessarily know anything about tattooing, some people just get lucky or are famous enough to fall into the right shop.

Personally I think they would be better off bringing back Tattoo Wars. It was a more even playing field and seemed to attract better tattooers and it's always in the particular tattooers style so it sets the clients up to get better work. Either that or make a show called Scratchers and use the theme music from COPS.

i just saw best ink for the first time last night. HOLY SHIT THAT SHOW COULDNT GET ANY WORSE! WTF IS GOING ON AND WHY?

It could (although I haven't seen the second episode yet), but then it would be called "LA Ink" or "NY Ink" :p

i just saw best ink for the first time last night. HOLY SHIT THAT SHOW COULDNT GET ANY WORSE! WTF IS GOING ON AND WHY?

It's just fucked plain and simple. I don't understand it either. It's the same format as Inkmasters but like a thousand times more annoying. I don't know any of the contestants personally, so the tone may have a lot to do with the way it is produced and the target demographic. I tried to buy into the theory that there are better tattooers on this show but I haven't seen anything I would be that stoked to wear thus far. The only good part is that it is on demand and i can fast forward through commercials and dialogue and just get to the tattoos.

every damn show on tv is exactly the same theses days. Hollywood has absolutely no creativity any more. Think about it, when was the last time you saw something truly original come out of that cesspool. I just saw the trailer for a remake of Total Recall yesterday. Granted it looks cool but damn get a new idea people.

WTF is that supposed to be?
WTF is that supposed to be?

Right? Draw poorly, shade competently and whammo -- dwarf. I don't remember that being part of the input for that tattoo. No one told these kids pinups are long and lean? I freely admit to watching Inkmasters and my wife wanted to watch this one but after that last episode even she agreed it was unwatchable -- even ironically.

I can't believe they get their egos pumped up by being called ten of the best tattoo artists and they don't even know the basics. Do your homework, kids. Leave tv to the washed up celebrities and housewives.

both shows are awful, both were shitty poorly thought out concepts and both make the industry look like a fucking joke. i kinda wish i was in the room when someone pitched this' how about hells kitchen but with wanna be tattooers?' so i coulda pimp slapped him. ya, so instead of a bad dinner these idiot volunteers gets a shitty tattoo for life....everyone involved should be beat about the head and neck with a stick