I know there's a lot of hate out there for tattoo-related reality shows (and reality shows in general), but the wife and I quite enjoyed watching INK MASTERS and will no doubt tune in for Season Two. BEST INK is kinda lame in comparison -- mostly because of the terrible host they hired. They need to replace her with Margaret Cho -- or somebody who actually knows something about tattoos and isn't super-annoying.

Best Ink blew dead rats compared to Ink Masters.. which wasn't that great. EVERY "reality" show has a host that is the bossy little girl. If you ever had the misfortune to play house with a girl from down the street (when you were a little kid...) you know what I mean. The little brassy bitch that sends anyone home that pisses her off. That's Dave "oooo, I got $50, let me get another tattoo" Navarro to a T.

CG

Has anyone else in here heard of that new upcoming series "Tattoo Rescue"? It appears that the people behind Ink Master have decided to create another bogus Tattoo reality show..this time on renovating tattoo shops.

I was afraid that was coming...could have some seriously negative repercussions.

I was afraid that was coming...could have some seriously negative repercussions.

Yeah on TV you can turn around a restaurant, hotel or hair salon in three days, but I always find it funny that we are all supposed to believe that people who were cooking shit food or had bad to no cleaning habits and sanitation skills are somehow going to be reformed by a stern talking to and a quick cosmetic make over of the work area. I think the same thing will apply here, someone who is doing shit tattoos isn't going to be able to get better overnight, I am sure there are some business strategies one could apply, but at the end the day the product coming out of the shop won't be much different.

Yeah on TV you can turn around a restaurant, hotel or hair salon in three days, but I always find it funny that we are all supposed to believe that people who were cooking shit food or had bad to no cleaning habits and sanitation skills are somehow going to be reformed by a stern talking to and a quick cosmetic make over of the work area. I think the same thing will apply here, someone who is doing shit tattoos isn't going to be able to get better overnight, I am sure there are some business strategies one could apply, but at the end the day the product coming out of the shop won't be much different.

and if you check on-line, most of those resturants don't make it another 6 months or so . . .

Shit, I wouldn't turn down new signage, lighting, etc in return for getting yelled at by some d bag for a few days, and besides "bidness be good, yo" lol

Still beats L.A. Ink, aka Drinkin' & Inkin... where the tattooing content is about 45 seconds.

CG

Cory Miller is a legend, the rest of them I'll pass. I get they need some drama to keep the general public entertained but it went too far, idiotic show. I'd watch a show with Miller,Garver and Grime tattooing all day,just tattooing! No bs or drama,course it'll never get made...

Cory Miller is a legend, the rest of them I'll pass. I get they need some drama to keep the general public entertained but it went too far, idiotic show. I'd watch a show with Miller,Garver and Grime tattooing all day,just tattooing! No bs or drama,course it'll never get made...

I like Corey Miller's work... but they pass him off on the show as a broke-dick artist scrambling to feed his family. I'll watch reruns of Lawrence Welk before I'll watch Drinkin' & Inkin' again.

CG

• 4 weeks later...

Quite interesting. I like a lot of what they had to say, but it's a shame that the MAIN issue (needless drama) could only be danced around in a half-line comment by Oliver in the 1st 2 minutes when he refers to the network assembling the many hours of footage in the way that they see fit. That editting hurts their image, and they still play along.

Being on this show basically ruins your chance of being respected by the real people in the industry.

I've met some of the people that were on that show, and the Oxygen tattoo reality show (one of which I'm friends with on a personal level) and I can tell you it's the exact opposite. As much hate as there is, it's exposure, and I can tell you from a first hand experience that the doors have been opened and invites to global tattoo conventions that these artists get are now 100x what they would have ever received.

I've met some of the people that were on that show, and the Oxygen tattoo reality show (one of which I'm friends with on a personal level) and I can tell you it's the exact opposite. As much hate as there is, it's exposure, and I can tell you from a first hand experience that the doors have been opened and invites to global tattoo conventions that these artists get are now 100x what they would have ever received.

Your experience is different than mine then. I posted my opinion...by no means is it a universal fact.

Being on this show basically ruins your chance of being respected by the real people in the industry.

I guess it depends on who you consider "the industry". Winning Inkmasters or Best Ink probably won't get you invited to State Of Grace or Ink N Iron, but could definitely get you a gig as token tattooer celebrity in a lesser known show or traveling convention and stay pretty busy and make some good money. The problem is the shelf life for a reality tv star is pretty short, and when people forget who you are and you can't just be the dude from the tattoo show, then it comes down to if you put on good tattoos.

I guess it depends on who you consider "the industry". Winning Inkmasters or Best Ink probably won't get you invited to State Of Grace or Ink N Iron, but could definitely get you a gig as token tattooer celebrity in a lesser known show or traveling convention and stay pretty busy and make some good money. The problem is the shelf life for a reality tv star is pretty short, and when people forget who you are and you can't just be the dude from the tattoo show, then it comes down to if you put on good tattoos.

I witnessed this first hand in August at a small, first time convention in Hartford. Some crazy looking artist named Amy Nicoletto from LA Ink was highly promoted and swarmed at the convention. She's not even a very good artist but she actually shared top artist billing with Stefano Alcantara due to her celebrity status from being on TV. People were all around her trying to book time with her and take her picture, she must have made some good money that weekend. Even my girlfriend was starstruck and didn't understand why I didn't give a damn about her.

And I think tonight is the first episode of Ink Master season 2. It comes on at the same time as Sons of Anarchy...Hmmm, I wonder which one I'll watch.

I witnessed this first hand in August at a small, first time convention in Hartford. Some crazy looking artist named Amy Nicoletto from LA Ink was highly promoted and swarmed at the convention. She's not even a very good artist but she actually shared top artist billing with Stefano Alcantara due to her celebrity status from being on TV. People were all around her trying to book time with her and take her picture, she must have made some good money that weekend. Even my girlfriend was starstruck and didn't understand why I didn't give a damn about her.

And I think tonight is the first episode of Ink Master season 2. It comes on at the same time as Sons of Anarchy...Hmmm, I wonder which one I'll watch.

well I guess I can't really talk, I'm going to a convention this weekend where the headliner is Wee Man from Jack Ass again. I worked another convention this guy put on this summer. If it wasn't for the hope of getting tattooed by Zach Nelligan or Tron I would probably sit this one out, oh and I have free tickets.