It looked from the TAM video that Rubendall will be guest judging as well? I wasn't planning on watching because I thought that the first season was boring, but I have to admit that I'm tempted by the idea of watching Richard Stell tearing into a bunch of "colour realists".

Richard actually was on Walker Tx Ranger twice. We took pics of Chuck in the shop and I am not sure what happened to them.

YUP... It's The Walker Texas Ranger Episode: A Matter of Principle...

And Richard and I kinda got a vibe that the contestants would be trying to get a rise out of him: Contradictions & EXCUSES we're tiring, Richard really wanted to practice what he preached, manners, restraint, representing Real Tattooers in a positive light...and knowing when your advice or words meant nothing (because the fuckers "KNOW" tattooing), if it so why help them... ?

(He didn't want to shit on the floor, but he could have, after seeing the bullshit we did.)

I don't know whats going to happen, but I am happy that some real tattoo masters like Rubendall, Richard, and the like,are going to be on the series, it helps make these assholes look bad. (Richard doesn't consider himself a master), he wants to keep learning...

And that's the lesson we learned in NYC.

Purely out of curiosity, I just watched the first two episodes of this season. The thing that bugs me the most about it is that they give the winners of the "Flash Challenges" the ability to assign all of the "Human Canvases" to each tattooer. What this means is that they are purposely trying to make their competitors put on bad tattoos that they know they can't pull off so that they can further themselves in the competition. They're actively trying to get the clients bad tattoos.

I mean, I understand that it's a competition and money is at stake, but these are tattoos. People have to live with these for the rest of their lives and I think it's a total dick move to completely neglect to think about the client's happiness and their right to get a good tattoo.

Like it was said earlier, this is just a TV show. There is good and bad associated with it's impact, of course, but ultimately it's aired for entertainment purposes and not for promoting artistic integrity. That's their prerogative and that's fine, but I think it's incredibly irresponsible to participate in fostering a culture where people get shitty tattoos on purpose. That's never cool, and that's where I take most issue with this show.

After two formal emails, I got a message saying that the tattoos that were terrible and couldn't be fixed they did attempt to help with laser removal... But that the canvases know what they are signing up for an unsure thing... but yes, I have and will continue to have the same sentiments... that all clients should get something they deserve, and these vets next week... I cried, and Richard had two anxiety attacks...

Purely out of curiosity, I just watched the first two episodes of this season. The thing that bugs me the most about it is that they give the winners of the "Flash Challenges" the ability to assign all of the "Human Canvases" to each tattooer. What this means is that they are purposely trying to make their competitors put on bad tattoos that they know they can't pull off so that they can further themselves in the competition. They're actively trying to get the clients bad tattoos.

I mean, I understand that it's a competition and money is at stake, but these are tattoos. People have to live with these for the rest of their lives and I think it's a total dick move to completely neglect to think about the client's happiness and their right to get a good tattoo.

Like it was said earlier, this is just a TV show. There is good and bad associated with it's impact, of course, but ultimately it's aired for entertainment purposes and not for promoting artistic integrity. That's their prerogative and that's fine, but I think it's incredibly irresponsible to participate in fostering a culture where people get shitty tattoos on purpose. That's never cool, and that's where I take most issue with this show.

richard stell is chuck norris with a better beard

My first trip to Dallas was in 1998 and I worked right near Richard's shop. The owner of the shop said, "come on, I'll introduce you to Richard Stell". We walked over there and they were filming Walker Texas Ranger, Richard was tattooing. I got to meet Richard Stell, Mike Wilson AND Chuck Norris all within 5 minutes of each other. It was the coolest day ever for me. Richard wouldn't stop tattooing for them to film and told them to deal with it and film around him, it was rad. I told Richard that story recently from my perspective and he chuckled. I am very excited to see him on Ink Master.

This show would be bearable if they didn't have to tattoo shitty ideas onto people. It would be kinda redeemed in my mind if they instead took the approach as follows:

1. The artist has 100% control over the tattoo.

2. The challenges were just like this (Japanese one day, next day American Traditional, next day Realism, etc).

I think this would still keep things happy for the drama people (whatever they could keep that shit) but it would hopefully get some better tattoos churned out. Sadly, this will never happen. People like the idea of schadenfreude, which is kinda sad. Oh well, I'm just really happy I got LST interviews, Tattoo Age and Gypsy Gentleman to keep me occupied.

My first trip to Dallas was in 1998 and I worked right near Richard's shop. The owner of the shop said, "come on, I'll introduce you to Richard Stell". We walked over there and they were filming Walker Texas Ranger, Richard was tattooing. I got to meet Richard Stell, Mike Wilson AND Chuck Norris all within 5 minutes of each other. It was the coolest day ever for me. Richard wouldn't stop tattooing for them to film and told them to deal with it and film around him, it was rad. I told Richard that story recently from my perspective and he chuckled. I am very excited to see him on Ink Master.

I had a great time talking with richard while he was tattooing my ribs, He could talk about so many different topics and the experiences that he shared were thought provoking to say the least

I'm caught up thus far.

First things first.

YEEEEEESSSSSSHHHHHH.

I feel like a Jewish Grandmother.

All this and that.

Ptooo.

Anyhow. All this forshadowing...Jesse Smith and his colorbombs will win. Even though he has no tattoos and can't really compete with what we really think a tattoo is. At least he's from Virginia. That grandest state in the Union.

I'm caught up thus far.

First things first.

YEEEEEESSSSSSHHHHHH.

I feel like a Jewish Grandmother.

All this and that.

Ptooo.

Anyhow. All this forshadowing...Jesse Smith and his colorbombs will win. Even though he has no tattoos and can't really compete with what we really think a tattoo is. At least he's from Virginia. That grandest state in the Union.

When I was looking for ideas for my Necronomicon tattoo the best one I came across was by Jesse Smith:

necronomicon_site.jpg

Mine turned out better, but dude can still tattoo better than pretty much everyone else in the competition even if he seems to really only do one style. I haven't seen the latest episode though.

Just a question about the people getting tattooed...

How are these folks selected? Are they aware of the situation as far as the artist not being what I would consider very good? Do they pick collectors who are ignorant to good tattooing?

No matter if someone is a great tattooer or not...I can't imagine anyone with a brain being down for getting tattooed under a time limit.

-snip-

I can't imagine anyone with a brain being down for getting tattooed under a time limit.

I haven't seen the show but this bothers me hugely.

I've been tattooed by people who are fast and by people who are not so fast, but the key is that they're always working at their own pace and the result of that has been a fantastic tattoo. I'd rather endure 6 hours of pain and pay twice as much than spend 3 hours in the chair and end up with a rushed piece of shit on my body.