Refer to my last post, this show is a shitstorm of embarrassing work and drama queens (hope I didn't offend Navarro). I would not watch another 10 minutes of it. I love O. Peck and his work but why would he be party to this reality romper room? Embarrassing. And Navarro, wtf dude? I smell selling out.

Just another reason for peeps on the outside to turn their nose up at us and give ink a bad name. Kill this shit.

How did they convince Mike Rubendall to show his face?

In the US of A, it basically goes Trevino, Rubendall, O'Donnell, Long, Bruno (my opinion, i know) in regards to Japanese tattooing.

FUCK!

All of these are truly amazing in Japanese tattooing. Hopefully I will be able to get a spot with O'Donnell at his new studio in NY. Maybe a rib piece?

How did they convince Mike Rubendall to show his face?

In the US of A, it basically goes Trevino, Rubendall, O'Donnell, Long, Bruno (my opinion, i know) in regards to Japanese tattooing.

FUCK!

Thats a good question. I didnt like a single thing those people did. As soon as they said Japanese I knew they were screwed.

So while this whole thing is a shitshow, it's really interesting to me that by far the most depressing and pathetic episodes have been the American traditional and Japanese ones. These fuckers get very excited about doing like, black and grey portraits and the like, but across the board suck at these forms. If I remember correctly, the same was mostly true of the first season (although they at least had a decent Japanese guy, if I recall correctly).

So, question for the group: why does this keep happening? Or rather, is this an accurate reflection of the mediocre pool of tattooers out there, in that shitty tattooers are more likely to have a background in certain styles over others? Are there no people at the same meh level as these dolts who do Japanese? It seems like the kind of shitty, talentless tattooers that mostly end up on shows like these all come from a particular place stylistically, and I am wondering what that correlation means.

I have to say that that terrible fucking dragon mess was one of the worst tattoos that's ever been on that show, which is saying a lot. And that it's hard to respect a tattooer who throws himself a pity party when he's asked to tattoo a DRAGON. What the hell kind of tattooer doesn't like doing dragons???

The show will be on as long people watch it and we are talking about it. I think they will have no problem finding tattooers to fill these spots, because most middle of the road people look at what is being done and know they are capable of better. I don't know how many times i've heard that's it I'm signing up for next season. I am not sure if I dreamed this up last night or it was on discussed on social media, but having a mystery science theater style show hosted where they just watch tattoo reality television.

at least Jesse had the integrity to admit and be a bit embarassed by the fact that he didn't study up more on other styles before he joined this motley crew.

- - - Updated - - -

at least Jesse had the integrity to admit and be a bit embarassed by the fact that he didn't study up more on other styles before he joined this motley crew.

One trick ponies with no respect for other styles. The dumbasses were arguing with Freddy fuckin' Negrete over black and gray. None of them would last 5 minutes in a GOOD street shop outside a big Army base on payday weekend. They would all cry and quit. "What do you mean there are 36 people on the waiting list! I need 3 weeks to conceptualize and draw your tattoo, and we have to do it this way, no I can't do a tribal tear out, that's beneath my artistic ability."

I'm going on this show, fuck it, you wanna see a tattooer work, I'll tattoo 3 "Human Canvasses" an episode and pick up a walkin'.

So while this whole thing is a shitshow, it's really interesting to me that by far the most depressing and pathetic episodes have been the American traditional and Japanese ones. These fuckers get very excited about doing like, black and grey portraits and the like, but across the board suck at these forms. If I remember correctly, the same was mostly true of the first season (although they at least had a decent Japanese guy, if I recall correctly).

So, question for the group: why does this keep happening? Or rather, is this an accurate reflection of the mediocre pool of tattooers out there, in that shitty tattooers are more likely to have a background in certain styles over others? Are there no people at the same meh level as these dolts who do Japanese? It seems like the kind of shitty, talentless tattooers that mostly end up on shows like these all come from a particular place stylistically, and I am wondering what that correlation means.

I have to say that that terrible fucking dragon mess was one of the worst tattoos that's ever been on that show, which is saying a lot. And that it's hard to respect a tattooer who throws himself a pity party when he's asked to tattoo a DRAGON. What the hell kind of tattooer doesn't like doing dragons???

I think the people are picked more for their "personality" and attitude than for their abilities. Most people interested in the color portrait or new school thing tend to not really care about tattooing. It is more of a springboard for them to be famous or at least act like they are. These are the people chosen for this show. Not the real deal tattooers who can take anyones idea and make something nice out of it.

I think the people are picked more for their "personality" and attitude than for their abilities. Most people interested in the color portrait or new school thing tend to not really care about tattooing. It is more of a springboard for them to be famous or at least act like they are. These are the people chosen for this show. Not the real deal tattooers who can take anyones idea and make something nice out of it.

Well I'm screwed, I'm way too pleasant to get picked.

One trick ponies

Isn't that usually how it goes with top tier artists? I mean, I'm sure they could do other styles to some extent, but you wouldn't go to Horiyoshi III for a traditional american piece, just like you wouldn't go to someone like Guy Aitchison for a traditional Japanese piece. Everyone has their style that they stick to and that is what brings in their clientèle. When I'm looking for an artist to do some work for me, I'm looking for someone who does one particular style extremely well, not a bunch of them half-assed. Why would I care what they can do in another style I'm not interested in getting?

Isn't that usually how it goes with top tier artists? I mean, I'm sure they could do other styles to some extent, but you wouldn't go to Horiyoshi III for a traditional american piece, just like you wouldn't go to someone like Guy Aitchison for a traditional Japanese piece. Everyone has their style that they stick to and that is what brings in their clientèle. When I'm looking for an artist to do some work for me, I'm looking for someone who does one particular style extremely well, not a bunch of them half-assed. Why would I care what they can do in another style I'm not interested in getting?

I feel like everyone has styles they prefer to do, but most top tier guys got to be top tier guys by taking parts of different style and making their own. It would seem like before people were known for a style they would have to make a living doing what walked int the door. For example Tim Hendricks is a great black and grey artist, but have seen some amazing traditional work posted by him as of late. Shoot I saw Freddy Negrete started a Japanese Sleeve on someone on Instagram.

I don't think anyone expecting people to be flawless at every style, but asking someone to knock out a passable one shot tattoo in each style doesn't seem like that tall of an order. I think the general idea that most of the contestants don't seem to think they need to learn any other styles is the real problem.

I feel like everyone has styles they prefer to do, but most top tier guys got to be top tier guys by taking parts of different style and making their own. It would seem like before people were known for a style they would have to make a living doing what walked int the door.

That is a good point, it would be interesting to see older work from some of the guys who have a style that is set in stone now (like Jesse Smith). I guess I just find the whole premise of the show silly. I don't think there is a best tattoo artist, only artists who excel at different styles. From there it is just personal preference on the client's part.

That is a good point, it would be interesting to see older work from some of the guys who have a style that is set in stone now (like Jesse Smith). I guess I just find the whole premise of the show silly. I don't think there is a best tattoo artist, only artists who excel at different styles. From there it is just personal preference on the client's part.

I think what you are saying mostly, I just think most top tattooers would be much more well rounded if this kind of scenario ever posed itself. I think a lot of it is people paths into tattooing aren't the same and people aren't as concerned with the craft portion of tattooing as the art portion of it, so they end up just tattooing they way they draw, instead of learning how to draw tattoos. I look at all the top tattooers and I see a strong tattoo art influence even in people who have very unique styles. Look at Thomas Hooper known for his geometric black work, but also has a lot birds and skulls and other imagery you would find in a tattoo, drawn like a tattoo. I am not sure if my theory holds any weight, but it's a theory.