• 3 weeks later...

Couple of things that bother me about this show, and both have to do with Dave Navarro. Let me prefice this by saying I love JA and have huge respect for him as a guitar player, but for a judge he has some horrible work on his arms. I know he is there to provide color commentary (no pun intended), but his tattoos scream "don't do what I did". Second, Dave needs to swap the sunglasses for something else. Those things are horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

We need a list of Peckisms. We can say that the contestant has been Peckered!

"Man, that hand looks like it got caught in a garbage disposal!"

"The excuses are B-O-L-O-N-G-A" followed by Forrest Cavacco's "Bull****" will always be a classic for me.

You'd hope that they would review the artwork before the stencil is cut, just to screen out the gross errors... like that spelling glitch one artist had.

Rob

This right here is a problem w\ this show.

You send lambs to the slaughter. People want to get on TV for just a few minutes and they end up branded w\ a mistake.

I do watch the show - its like a nascar crash - you cannot turn away.

I hate this show although i do respect Oliver Peck a whole lot. I am convinced that Dave Navarro is a genuine bearded lady which solidifies the fact that if he isnt on stage with his band he has more of a place in a circus freak show than hosting (AND JUDGING) a tattoo show on TV. But like @fourtotheflush mentioned its so bad its hard to look away.

I hate this show although i do respect Oliver Peck a whole lot. I am convinced that Dave Navarro is a genuine bearded lady which solidifies the fact that if he isnt on stage with his band he has more of a place in a circus freak show than hosting (AND JUDGING) a tattoo show on TV. But like @fourtotheflush mentioned its so bad its hard to look away.

Like being guaranteed that a train wreck is going to happen at a certain crossing at a certain time. How can anyone not go and watch?

Couple of things that bother me about this show, and both have to do with Dave Navarro. Let me prefice this by saying I love JA and have huge respect for him as a guitar player, but for a judge he has some horrible work on his arms. I know he is there to provide color commentary (no pun intended), but his tattoos scream "don't do what I did". Second, Dave needs to swap the sunglasses for something else. Those things are horrible.

I think he added in some filler last season. I was discussing his crappy ink with a tattoo artist, she said he's the type that goes out and gets a tat whenever he has $50 in his pocket to spend.

Rob

I think I've mentioned this before, but I heard from an artist on Season two about how heavily edited they were. You shoot tons of footage and use the best of the worst to 'create a show' that has 'villains' and drama and tension. You're also coached on things to say. You look like a giant ass on tv, but... after the show airs... you find your appointment book is a little fuller, even though you looked like a giant ass on tv.

Turning a culture into a commodity isn't new, its just affecting us a little closer to the chest because... well.. it's us. We had to bleed for these damned things. We had to get stared at in line at the bank. We have to answer the litany of dumb questions on a daily basis... "why yes ma'am, it did hurt" and "yes, I AM tattooed other places... wait, we mean my dick, right?"...

Im kind of biased though... I grew up on Royboy videos. Tattooers hated them, too, but.... damn they were fun.

I should mention that a tattooer friend asked me to write some Inkmaster erotic fan fiction that he's going to illustrate and we're going to accidentally leave at tattoo conventions the 'stars' are at. If he ever finishes the first chapter I'll write more.

Kay Kutta and Sarah Miller are in it. "Penetrated by more than your needles" comes up a lot. Because we think it's ok to make fun of people we don't know. People who may be genuinely nice. Because we're children. :D

you had me at "Penetrated by more than your needles"

Im not sure if I mentioned this, but I had an email conversation with a producer about my contempt for the show, and despite him trying to be very PR conscious... mentioned that he 'personally wouldn't get tattooed by' one of the Judges... based on him thinking that their work wasn't good enough.

i'm gonna guess that it has to be oliver peck, only because i feel like japanese tattoos are more main stream than traditional american.

• 2 weeks later...
I did. It all adds up for me.

I think traditional tattoos are more mainstream than Japanese, but that might be something that varies by region, but for me it comes down to this, if someone mentions Traditional American tattooing, Oliver Peck is likely to come up in the conversation fairly quickly. I don't see that happening with Nunez and Japanese tattooing. I don't know if it's because there are so many people doing it, but for whatever reason I don't think he is that conversation. I think he clearly is a professional and keeps pretty good company, just haven't heard much about him outside conversations about the show's he has been on.

'

I think traditional tattoos are more mainstream than Japanese, but that might be something that varies by region, but for me it comes down to this, if someone mentions Traditional American tattooing, Oliver Peck is likely to come up in the conversation fairly quickly. I don't see that happening with Nunez and Japanese tattooing. I don't know if it's because there are so many people doing it, but for whatever reason I don't think he is that conversation. I think he clearly is a professional and keeps pretty good company, just haven't heard much about him outside conversations about the show's he has been on.

'

I honestly believe that Nunez does average Japanese stuff. I think part of the reason people think he knows his shit is because he worked with Garver for quite some time. I am not saying he makes bad tattoos, I am saying though, that they are not deserving of being on the same level as Rubendall, Travino, etc... I felt it was a little insulting to Rubendall when he put himself on the same level when he was on Inkmaster.

I honestly believe that Nunez does average Japanese stuff. I think part of the reason people think he knows his shit is because he worked with Garver for quite some time. I am not saying he makes bad tattoos, I am saying though, that they are not deserving of being on the same level as Rubendall, Travino, etc... I felt it was a little insulting to Rubendall when he put himself on the same level when he was on Inkmaster.

Those two guys put in the work. Nunez may be still learning but I still would not mind him tattooing me. He is not the best but it is also not something that is done 100 percent correct to Japanese culture. Ed did it the best and people followed his lead.

Those two guys put in the work. Nunez may be still learning but I still would not mind him tattooing me. He is not the best but it is also not something that is done 100 percent correct to Japanese culture. Ed did it the best and people followed his lead.

Ok,

Noob - whos Ed?

also how does Garver and Rubendall stack up to the actual Japanese(from Japan) tattoo artists (particularily the guys out at State of Grace?

Ok,

Noob - whos Ed?

also how does Garver and Rubendall stack up to the actual Japanese(from Japan) tattoo artists (particularily the guys out at State of Grace?

Ed Hardy and I would say it all depends on your perspective but they are all arguably the best at what they do.

Also one thing I would point out is I know I judge Nunez by a lot of stuff that he put out from the Miami Ink show almost a decade ago, and I am sure being on a show gets you some harsher critiques, but still don't think he is quite there.

Most of the walk in stuff they did on the show never made for a great tattoo to begin with. I remember Tim Hendricks posting a picture on here of a piece Ami did that was, in my opinion, on a completely different level than the stuff they showed on the show.

Anyone have any pictures of some large scale work from Nunez?

Ok,

Noob - whos Ed?

I think that American (or European) Japanese is a totally different thing than Japanese Japanese...I prefer the Americanised version of it, personally...but if you're thinking of getting a Japanese tattoo and are trying to decide between Horitomo and Rubendall, it just comes down to personal preference. Unless you want tebori.

I think that American (or European) Japanese is a totally different thing than Japanese Japanese....

Personally I don't totally agree ,and think a lot of what's going on right now the distinction is really blurred . I think Horiyoshi III's post 80's to more recent stuff looks more Western and guys like Ivan Szazi and Chris Brand as examples more Japanese than some Japanese if that makes sense .

Personally I don't totally agree ,and think a lot of what's going on right now the distinction is really blurred . I think Horiyoshi III's post 80's to more recent stuff looks more Western and guys like Ivan Szazi and Chris Brand as examples more Japanese than some Japanese if that makes sense .

Fair point.