I have to admit to getting sucked into this show last season. Fully aware of the general ridiculousness of it all, I do think it has some merit. I agree with the poster who mentioned that the critiques are educational and hearing Oliver dump on some of these dumbasses is totally priceless! Amongst all the crap have been some good moments. I have managed to sit through it waiting for them. I am just a junkie for anything tattoo related so I am willing to put up with obvious reality tv crap to see some work being done and actually sometimes see some good results.

As a quick digression, I will make mention of Miami Ink. A totally different concept but still "reality tv". With all disclaimers assumed, I was a fan of the first couple of seasons. Drama and bullshit aside, there was some great work to be seen on that show. My fandom lead me to seek out the shop while in Miami at the end of a vacation. It was just a whim..."We dig the show, we're here, let's go just to say we were there and maybe come away with a souvenir...." That visit introduced me to Tim Hendricks. I was not aware of him as he had not yet appeared on the show. What I came away with was a new appreciation for serious quality and a new benchmark for my future tattoos.

It's possible that Ink Masters could end up turning people on to artists that don't suck and they may never have found otherwise and also an new appreciation for truly quality tattoos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know I'm ganna get it for this but I like it. It is horrible, but its educational to people like me who know nothing about the actual act of tattooing. And the critiques have allowed be to see the bad parts of a tattoo I wouldn't have noticed before.

I know I'm ganna get it for this but I like it. It is horrible' date=' but its educational to people like me who know nothing about the actual act of tattooing. And the critiques have allowed be to see the bad parts of a tattoo I wouldn't have noticed before.[/quote']

I thought the same thing.. Then I saw the episode where they had to cut hair and was like WTF.. Haven't bothered with it since

How bad is this season? I was planning on watching it just for the untertainment value and then I looked at the show's website and saw the tattoos these clowns are doing (with the exception of dudes like Jime Litwak) and I just can't bring myself to do it. Shit bums me out.

How bad is this season? I was planning on watching it just for the untertainment value and then I looked at the show's website and saw the tattoos these clowns are doing (with the exception of dudes like Jime Litwak) and I just can't bring myself to do it. Shit bums me out.

It's problably the worst I've ever seen. Too much fake drama. And their egos are terrible. There is this one pretty decent guy on there, he's an older black dude.

Apparently Seth has them building machine kits that they have to tattoo with. Separating the wheat from the chaff in one fell swoop. Take note tattooers, if you can not assemble a build it yourself kit from Seth which goes together practically on its own it is time to kill yourself.

Another reason I feel for the people who sign up to get tattooed on this show *shudder*

On another note, while Best Ink is pretty horrible too, the judges tear all the contestants new assholes every episode because all of their tattoos consistently suck and the judges know it. That at least makes the show interesting to watch. And some of the contestants are decent artists (usually 1 or 2 which spoils who is going to make it to the end)

Another reason I feel for the people who sign up to get tattooed on this show *shudder*

On another note, while Best Ink is pretty horrible too, the judges tear all the contestants new assholes every episode because all of their tattoos consistently suck and the judges know it. That at least makes the show interesting to watch. And some of the contestants are decent artists (usually 1 or 2 which spoils who is going to make it to the end)

There are hundreds of amazing artists out there that would benefit greatly through this idea of getting their art out there. But The clowns they get on this show are ridiculous. I laugh and cringe at this show. They scrapped by putting the machines together and where so surprised that the judges where upset. No matter what you do if you don't know your tools you don't belong there. One of the main things I remember from high School is the parts of the M14 and how to "tune" a flute. I might not handle either one of them any more but they taught me that if you don't know your tools you will fail every attempt to use it.

Apparently Seth has them building machine kits that they have to tattoo with. Separating the wheat from the chaff in one fell swoop. Take note tattooers, if you can not assemble a build it yourself kit from Seth which goes together practically on its own it is time to kill yourself.

Hey Bo?

One of the "tattooers" has to have the client... err.. "Human Canvas" help her assemble the machine.

I need to stop watching this. Someone please help me stop watching this.

I talked to Tony the day after they filmed the last episode. Of course he couldn't/didn't give any specifics about the show but he said they "might" have all been drinking a bit. After I watched the episode, I was like, fuck they are drunk.

I laughed at the 'as shop owners, we can make it work with any client" bullshit. Something makes me think any of the three of them (not lady face) would throw a customer that annoying/demanding out in no time flat.

I laughed at the 'as shop owners, we can make it work with any client" bullshit. Something makes me think any of the three of them (not lady face) would throw a customer that annoying/demanding out in no time flat.

That chick was nuts. I thought he did the right thing in not tattooing her.

That chick was nuts. I thought he did the right thing in not tattooing her.

I didn't.. I don't know, I didn't think she was that bad. The design was on par with a Lisa Frank sticker, I definitely wouldn't get that garbage put on me. While it's sometimes necessary to steer your clients in more functional directions, Tony was pretty inflexible with her requests as well. He should have put his ego aside during the consult and given her what she actually asked for. Also, completely valid to ask what's up when your artist is stressed out, shaking, and on edge!

I didn't.. I don't know, I didn't think she was that bad. The design was on par with a Lisa Frank sticker, I definitely wouldn't get that garbage put on me. While it's sometimes necessary to steer your clients in more functional directions, Tony was pretty inflexible with her requests as well. He should have put his ego aside during the consult and given her what she actually asked for. Also, completely valid to ask what's up when your artist is stressed out, shaking, and on edge!

I agree I didn't like the design either. It just seemed to me that she didn't want a fresh start from the day before. The first thing she did was start laying into him about the day before. It reminded me of a girlfriend giving you crap because she just wanted to argue. Maybe it was just me.

I should add that I don't really have any empathy for the folks that are tattooed on that show. I always ask my wife "why do these people agree to do this to themselves." I would never sign up to have a randomly selected artist of varying levels of proficiency tattoo me. Especially since there is a time limit. They strike me as the "sick tat bro" I just want to be tattooed so I look cool crowd anyway. Like my little brother, he doesn't care if the work is good as long as it's cheap.

If they had watched any of the pervious seasons they should know what they are getting themselves into.